Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask someone on Ebay to give clothing measurements

(37 Posts)
GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 10:36:31

We all know that sizing is inconsistent between brands, right? Does anyone want to dispute that?

And that things like leg length can vary, too?

And that thickness of fabric can vary a lot, you ideally want to feel something up to see how warm it is, but weighing the item and comparing to something similar cut/length would be next best, no?

I want some spare PJ bottoms, thought I'd find something on Ebay. Sizing is fuzzy, "8-10", "12-14", "medium" etc. I asked Sellers for waist and inside leg measurements, along with weight of the PJ bottoms.

Replies:

(None)
"They are a 12-14"
"They are a small"
"I don't have a tape measurer or scales"

Who doesn't have a tape measurer? How do you correctly figure out the postage rate without some kitchen scales? Do they really want to sell these items?

Grrrrrr...

hazleweatherfieldgirldetective Sun 30-Dec-12 10:38:53

They're pj bottoms. I think you're expecting a bit much for someone to weigh them for you.

CoolaYuleA Sun 30-Dec-12 10:39:10

I have been asked this a few times and have always got my tape measure out and measured.

At the end of the day, whilst it is a bit of a pita I wanted to sell the stuff so I did it.

Plenty of people don't have a tape measure though.

goldenlula Sun 30-Dec-12 10:41:41

Measuring I would do, but weight seems an odd one. I use other listings as a guide for postage as I am never sure even when weighing.

Cabrinha Sun 30-Dec-12 10:46:13

Are these 99p start? Tbh, I've sold stuff that I expect for £1-£2 and been irritated at questions on sizing! Not something specific like leg length, but sizing - I sold a size 12 sweater and got asked whether it was a big or small 12 and I was a bit "wtf?" - I'd said in listing it was an unwanted gift in wrong size - I didn't know what kind of 12 it was! (which I replied, without the "wtf"!)
If you asked me about PJ weight I'd think you meant the weight of the cotton, so scales wouldn't come into it.
Tbh, when I get lots of questions on a low value item, I think "you sound like trouble, hope you don't bid". I answer politely - but it makes me worry the buyer will be the type to say "well I measured them and they were 1mm longer than you said, I want a partial refund...".
Do you sell on eBay too? It's just a couple of questions from you, but the seller may have had 10 other emails asking vaguer questions for a 99p item!
I've been asked "what shade of red is that edging?" before. I went to all the trouble of rephotographing next to a maltesers packet - never got a thank you. Your seller may have my experience!

digerd Sun 30-Dec-12 10:54:09

Most sellers do give the measurements if asked. But the weight of pjs , or any clothing is a strange thing to be interested in and have never asked.
The important thing for me is fabric content, which if not stated I always ask and get a reply. If item is only 99p I take a chance.
Sellers reply was not helpful, though.

HollyBerryBush Sun 30-Dec-12 10:55:41

go to Primark/matalan/asda and buy a new pair for 4 quid.

ISawSantaKissingThePortlyPinUp Sun 30-Dec-12 10:57:02

I buy a lot of reproduction vintage clothes so I ask the measurements as sizing can vary wildly, I'm a size 20 usually but one of my dresses is a 28 shock I always go by measurements now rather than label sizes. I sell a bit on eBay and I'm always happy to give measurements, people are more likely to bid and buy if they think it will definitely fit.

digerd Sun 30-Dec-12 10:57:44

Cab.
Yep colours are an issue but again that is difficult, and you went to a lot of trouble. I'd have thanked you, but then I seem to be a rare breed of human being.!

GrumpySod Sun 30-Dec-12 11:20:16

My travel costs to get to Primark/Asda/Matalan are £5.
I could buy them locally for £9, just trying to do ethical thing by buying 2nd hand.
Yes 99p starts.
I sell buckets on Ebay, and always include lots of measurements if it's clothes. Not weight, admittedly. But wouldn't mind if someone asked.

I know what you mean about troublesome buyer radar, but I can't figure out who buys clothes on Ebay, anyway, unless lots of measurements were included, that is. How can you be confident of good fit?

No tape measurer is common, really!? Not even a ruler? We have dozens. Although you can figure it out close enough from an A4 piece of paper, an A5 or standard letter envelope even, if you wanted.

BigShinyBaubles Sun 30-Dec-12 11:25:42

I always measure items is buyers ask, but I've never weighed something.
If the buyer can't be bothered to measure them don't buy from them!

quoteunquote Sun 30-Dec-12 11:28:14

Quite a lot of sellers, photograph the item, pack it up , then list it, so when asked for extra details, they say no, as it means unpacking and repacking.

I photograph, describe, start at 99p and then package and store so if you were to ask me for specific measurments I would think you were a pita and reply politely that I didn't have measuring tape or some such. Tbh you could just take a chance on it, especially pyjama bottoms - nice if their a bit baggy?
Just take a chance. Questions like this annoy me!!

Mandy2003 Sun 30-Dec-12 11:43:16

It's flipping tedious but I always put every measurement in my eBay listings to try and avoid angry buyers and things being returned! Recently sold something that was not true to size, said so and gave the measurements on the ad but got it back because the buyer went on the size label only.

I do think pyjamas would be awkward to measure though because of their mutie stretchiness. I figure everyone would know their size in different brands by now eg. I am a 12-14 in Primark, a 16 in Bhs, a 10 in BonMarche...!

Lookingatclaus Sun 30-Dec-12 11:48:25

I ask for measurements as it can be so hit and miss with sizing. I would rather not waste my time waiting to bid for something that turns out not to fit and goes to the charity shop or gets relisted. What's the point?

I wouldn't mind at all if a buyer asked for them. It's a sensible question IMO. And I wouldn't mind about weight either, you are just trying to see what they are like and you can't always tell from a photo.

Tee2072Thing Sun 30-Dec-12 11:51:33

Don't buy from eBay. Sorted.

higgle Sun 30-Dec-12 11:51:40

When I sell I always include the measurements in the listings. This is easy when you are putting the stuff on. If you don't put the measurements on you always get asked by someone.

CwtchesAndCuddles Sun 30-Dec-12 12:06:00

I think asking them to weigh is a bit strange - I would measure them for you though!

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Sun 30-Dec-12 12:21:28

I sell on ebay and buyers like you get on my nerves to be honest. You don't go into a shop and ask this and usually its something people are paying about two pounds for. There are always pleanty of people who are happy to buy without all this faff so I'm happy to not sell to the minotity of ebayers that do.

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Sun 30-Dec-12 12:23:20

*I photograph, describe, start at 99p and then package and store so if you were to ask me for specific measurments I would think you were a pita and reply politely that I didn't have measuring tape or some such. Tbh you could just take a chance on it, especially pyjama bottoms - nice if their a bit baggy?
Just take a chance. Questions like this annoy me!!* <THIS

Noren Sun 30-Dec-12 12:35:35

I am short. In a shop I would hold trousers/pjs up against me. If I don't know the length I won't bid - I'd need to factor in cost of alterations.

ilovesooty Netherlands Sun 30-Dec-12 12:42:56

I won't bid on trousers where the leg length isn't stated as either short or the actual length. I'm surprised at how many sellers don't give that information. As for stated sizes, I'll take a chance on a cheap item. I think asking about the weight of pjs is a bit strange.

OOAOML Sun 30-Dec-12 13:01:06

I rarely sell on ebay but once listed a load of clothes, and I got quite a few questions about measurements - shoulder to hem, underbust etc. I remember sighing quite a few times as I trudged through to the ebay box with tape measure, but accepted that this was what it took to sell the clothes. I also had to weigh certain things (had guesstimated based on other listings for postage) to work out overseas postage for some queries.

I think if you're selling clothes you have to accept that people will have questions. When I buy clothes I like to try them on, feel the fabric, check the washing instructions etc - if buying online from M&S I know that returns will be easy, not so much buying from an individual on ebay.

Lookingatclaus Sun 30-Dec-12 13:32:19

I would ask for a tape measure in a shop. Or I'd be able to try things on or hold it up against me or dd. whether its a shop or eBay I am still a customer and choosing whether to buy something. It's such a hassle returning things or having things that are no good when they arrive as it means you have to start looking again. I'd rather just buy things I know are going to fit first time round.

rathlin Sun 30-Dec-12 13:37:23

Are you asking about the postage weight as you think they are charging too much postage? I think if you aren't happy with the quoted postage (if this is your concern), then better not to bid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now