AIBU to not at all surprised at things the news are saying about Thatcher?

(35 Posts)
Roasties Fri 28-Dec-12 13:48:13

I'm not surprised

EldritchCleavage Fri 28-Dec-12 23:49:42

I could never understand, then or now, how so many right-on people decided it was ok to abandon the Falklanders to invasion by a facist junta. Because they were blinded by hatred of Thatche, I suppose. I hated her too, but come on.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 28-Dec-12 23:58:03

yohohoho

"There was an agenda for Argentina. The agenda was 'we want that island and they tried to take it back, we will show them' which was pretty evident at the time and since."

Tha Falkland Islands have never been part of Argentina.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 29-Dec-12 00:00:53

Exactly Boney. It's not geographically close to automatically fall into being Argentinian territory.

The Falklands were taken from the French by Britain.

threesocksfullofchocs Sat 29-Dec-12 00:01:00

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr and Jux 100% with you

yohohoho Sat 29-Dec-12 00:01:35

I didn't mean there was an agenda for Argentina. I meant for the war. Typed a bit fast and had as bouncing on my knee and put the wrong word in. blush

Should have Said 'there was an agenda for the war'

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 29-Dec-12 00:02:17

Well of course there wa an agenda...protecting British subjects.

SantasHoHoHo Sat 29-Dec-12 00:05:54

All those people who live there are British citizens; it is our duty to defend them from invasion.

Hear hear!

sashh Sat 29-Dec-12 05:22:47

she should never be forgiven for the falklands war. all those lives lost for some shitty little island

You mean those islands she tried to cede to Argentina

www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armycampaigns/southamerica/falklands/falklandswar.htm

www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armycampaigns/southamerica/falklands/falklandswar.htm

All those people who live there are British citizens; it is our duty to defend them from invasion.

At the time they were not, the government of the day

sashh Sat 29-Dec-12 05:24:16

sorry pressed post too soon

the government changed their citizenship to that of overseas territory

lotsofdogshere Sat 29-Dec-12 09:21:46

I loathed Thatcher and felt the 80's were like Narnia, always winter and never christmas. I was shocked by the Falklands war, but how could she do anything else but respond with military might, to an invasion of British territory, with British citizens who want to remain British. The armed forces involved in defending the Falklands experienced such horrors that many of them continue to suffer psychologically, despite their pride in defending these "shitty little islands".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now