ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to think climete change is a pile of bollocks?

(299 Posts)
moogy1a Thu 27-Dec-12 22:57:39

Summers in Britain to get colder and wetter

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20758780

earlier this year," oh no, they're going to get hotter and drier"
www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9038988/Climate-change-will-make-UK-new-holiday-destination.html

climate change scients cherry pick the data they need to fit whatever political agenda they need it to fit.
If you start looking into reports, they are a huge mess of completely contradictory results.
I also like the way the term"global warming" has been quietly ditched in favour of climate change as it became increasingly obvious the world wasn't hotting up.

Lueji Fri 28-Dec-12 01:51:54

Well, you know what they say.
There's lies, damned lies and weather predictions. grin

The weather is a chaotic system. It's very difficult to predict accurately, particularly past a couple of days.

And what Tenpercenter said.

misterwife Fri 28-Dec-12 06:54:44

Human civilisation is up a gumtree. Read 'The Upside of Down' by Thomas Homer-Dixon.

inde Fri 28-Dec-12 08:57:56

Well 97% of climate scientists say that the earth is getting warmer due to our actions and we are sleepwalking into eventual disaster.
Over 90% of politicians on the far right say either it isn't or that it doesn't matter if the world does get warmer. I know which group I am more likely to believe.

Morloth Fri 28-Dec-12 09:02:35

Heres the thing, the planet is going to be OK.

When people talk about 'saving the planet' what they really mean is 'saving the planet for humans'. The planet doesn't give a fuck about humans, it is going to do it's thing and we are a part of it, so we can adapt or we can die.

That's the way it goes. I do not intend to lose any sleep whatsoever about it.

FloatyFlo Fri 28-Dec-12 09:09:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 28-Dec-12 09:15:44

What's a climete?

inde Fri 28-Dec-12 09:22:28

What I find laughable is that the climate change deniers say the motivation they give to people who believe in AGW. Apparently it's because we want to see taxation increased. Yes of course we all want to see our taxes go up and are not really concerned about what is happening to the earth hmm.

Sorry, guys, those of you saying it doesn't matter because the climate changes naturally are v. v. wrong as well.

The climate changes naturally by a few degrees over millennia, not over a few decades like is happening now. It's totally different. I realise geological timescales are tough to get your head around but it's really crucial in this case.

And like Morloth says, the issue is more how many people can be supported on the planet after we've finished fucking with it.
It doesn't really matter if the planet was much hotter in the time of the dinosaurs; they weren't trying to grow wheat in the Mid-West. Or if they did, they left no fossil evidence of it.

iismum Fri 28-Dec-12 09:37:34

Aggh, I can't believe there are so many ignorant morons out there! I can't believe how many people on here say stuff like the climate is always changing and always has, so what's the problem. Of course it is always changing! Obviously it was massively different when the dinosaurs were around. But the rate of change is completely unprecedented; there's overwhelming evidence in the ice core as other places that climate change has never happened at anything approaching the current rate. And as for thinking that it's vain to assume we can influence the environment enough to alter the weather ... I'm sorry, what? What are you talking about? The impact of man on the environment is overwhelming; there isn't a place on earth unaffected. We know what the effect of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is and we know how we are affecting it. The specific impact this will have on the weather is very hard to predict, but the fact that this will change everything dramatically is not.

As for someone who said that lots of scientists now believe the world is getting cooler and staying the same. Um ... references, please? Because this is total bullshit. Please see elegant pie chart linked to above. 98% of scientists believe the world is getting hotter at an unprecedented rate due to human activity.

And the whole 'it's not the earth that needs to be saved, it's us' argument. Well, obviously! I don't think anyone is claiming the planet itself is going to fall apart. Saving the world refers to the things that live in the world - not just humans but every other kind of animal and plant. Some will survive major climate change but an awful, awful lot will be screwed.

Honestly, it's so depressing. The evidence is out there, easy to understand and overwhelmingly convincing. It's the fact that this amount of wilful ignorance still exists that ensures we are all totally fucked. Sobs quietly to self.

Morloth Fri 28-Dec-12 09:47:23

Humans are jumped up monkeys at best.

We are part of the organism.

Species come and go.

merlottits Fri 28-Dec-12 09:51:27

You worked in science research for years and can't spell climate?

Morloth Fri 28-Dec-12 09:52:38

Perhaps the ignorance is an in built self destruct and we deserve to be totally fucked?

hermioneweasley Fri 28-Dec-12 09:53:31

Well, I am deeply disappointed in the lack of warm, dry summers, so I think it's bollocks (as in disappointing, not that it's not happening)

hackmum Fri 28-Dec-12 09:56:19

inde: "Well 97% of climate scientists say that the earth is getting warmer due to our actions and we are sleepwalking into eventual disaster."

But let's face it, inde, what do they know? They are just people with degrees and Ph.D.s in science, who have dedicated years of their life to studying and researching climate change. Compare that to people on Mumsnet, who are able to come up with devastating observations like the climate is always changing innit, and it's been darn wet these past few winters, and humans don't really have that much impact, do they, and quite frankly these so-called climate scientists wouldn't stand a chance.

EllieArroway Fri 28-Dec-12 09:56:19

climate change scients cherry pick the data they need to fit whatever political agenda they need it to fit

If you had the slightest fucking idea how science worked, you'd understand what total bullshit you're talking.

I bet you don't believe that evolution is a fact either, do you? hmm

inde Fri 28-Dec-12 09:57:01

There is a logical fallacy in the op anyway. The difference between the two newspaper articles is not cherry picking. Our climate might well get much warmer in the future. At the moment though the Arctic ice melt is causing the jet stream to move south which is giving us colder wetter summers due to low pressure systems coming in off the Atlantic. That is not cherry picking. Both outcomes are caused by AGW.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Fri 28-Dec-12 09:58:39

My take on it is that there is no doubt that climate change is happening at an unprecedented rate in the planets history. The only thing that has changed in the last century or so that could provoke such a rapid change is mankinds activities.

However, what is in doubt is exactly how the rise in global average temperature will affect different regions. Whilst we can measure what the temperature changes that have happened so far, predicting what will happen as a result is tricky. There is no doubt though, that the temperature will have a change and given how tightly balanced our agriculture etc is, the change is unlikely to be a positive one for mankind.

badguider Fri 28-Dec-12 09:59:11

Has anybody who is saying 'natural variation' actually seen the graphs??? They wiggle up and down like a snake for millennia then shoot for the sky since 1850. This is nothing like the rate of any previous natural variation ever!!
And if you understand the basics of the carbon cycle you will know that you can't add co2 to the atmosphere without dire consequences. Prior to the industrial revolution carbon trapped in the ground was mainly released by volcanic activity and in minuscule amounts compared to burning fossil fuels.
And yes, the planet will survive what we do to it but do you really want to suffer the war and famine that will follow the mass dislocation of populations and food crop failure? Really? We're already seeing suffering due to this.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Fri 28-Dec-12 10:02:00

That should read 'the temperature change will have an effect'.

Morloth Fri 28-Dec-12 10:03:35

I don't actually believe it is reversible at this point.

We won't do anything until we have to and as most of the people in the West are cushioned from the effects to some extent whilst simultaneously being the major cause of the problem, humans are screwed.

So, we adapt or we die. We are not outside the natural order of things. There is nothing we can do that is 'unnatural', we are part of the nature.

inde Fri 28-Dec-12 10:07:24

We won't do anything until we have to and as most of the people in the West are cushioned from the effects to some extent whilst simultaneously being the major cause of the problem, humans are screwed

Unfortunately Morloth, I think you are right.

Morloth Fri 28-Dec-12 10:08:18

I usually am. grin

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 28-Dec-12 10:14:43

Did you mean that to soundquite so idiotic OP?

Humans are responsible for increased CO2 emissions. There is a proven link between increased CO2 emissions and rising global temperatures. Rising global temperatures are leading to climate change. It's not rocket science; it really isn't.

I'm really weary of all the tiresome wankers out there who go "So much for global warming, it's raining again today hur hur hurrr." People who think they know better than the scientific mainstream are often part of the problem, because they don't see any point in recycling, cutting their own carbon emissions or taking any of the small steps that might help to make a small difference.

Well anyway, we may not be fucked just yet but our children will be. People in developing countries are already fucked, but who cares about them, eh OP? If you can't get out there in your shorts and sunglasses then it must be bollocks.

emmac52000 Fri 28-Dec-12 10:17:10

I can't believe there are still people out there who don't believe scientists about climate change. Do you remember in 1986 (I think) the first big storm in so many years. It was really weird and never seen before by many. Do you remember when boscastle had their first flooding. Now this happens all of the time. Do you think that over farming of prawns in Indonesia to meet our demand for cheap prawns for example is a way to keep the world as it should. This practise has stopped the people of Indonesia having fruit and vegetables and has no natural flood defences. This is a real life practice which are stripping our earth of being able to provide a home for our children and their children. To protect resources we need to live within our means. Simple. Portion control, organic veg, turn lights off, don't drive everywhere etc etc. nowt crazy at all smile

inde Fri 28-Dec-12 10:19:23

I usually am. grin

I'm sure you are. grin
I have to say it's good to see this being discussed in a sensible manner. As opposed to posters on the Daily Telegraph website. According to them the 97% of climate scientists who believe the earth is warming are left wing lunes who just want to see their taxes increased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now