to think climete change is a pile of bollocks?

(299 Posts)
moogy1a Thu 27-Dec-12 22:57:39

Summers in Britain to get colder and wetter

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20758780

earlier this year," oh no, they're going to get hotter and drier"
www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9038988/Climate-change-will-make-UK-new-holiday-destination.html

climate change scients cherry pick the data they need to fit whatever political agenda they need it to fit.
If you start looking into reports, they are a huge mess of completely contradictory results.
I also like the way the term"global warming" has been quietly ditched in favour of climate change as it became increasingly obvious the world wasn't hotting up.

cutegorilla Thu 27-Dec-12 23:36:52

Yes of course, the press never mis-represent scientific findings. Nor do they report bad science as fact. Ever*.

* I might not be telling the truth

ShellyBoobs Thu 27-Dec-12 23:37:21

I'm with worra.

The climate will do what the fuck it wants, when the fuck it wants.

I'm also somewhat concerned how incredibly entwined politics and science have become with regards to CC.

It seems there's too much riding on environmental/carbon taxes for the goverment to back down now whatever any research might say.

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Thu 27-Dec-12 23:39:00

I like this graph. Most of those scientists can spell climate as well.

Ifyoulike Thu 27-Dec-12 23:39:49

On a more serious note, I genuinely believe that mankinds only hope for long-term survival is space-travel and colonisation of other planets... Earth really just is too volatile to 'put all our eggs in' if survival is the game.

NaturalBaby Thu 27-Dec-12 23:40:12

Well the earth is hardly going to stay exactly the same year in year out is it?
There is change, you can't deny that.

kim147 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:40:34

I find it fascinating to know that the ice cores record the temperature and CO2 concentration up to 400,000 years ago. From an ice core which is upto 100m deep.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core

kim147 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:41:29

I feel the need to mention Gaia and James Lovelock now.

The world will adapt and carry on.

Will we be part of it?

LineRunner Thu 27-Dec-12 23:41:57

A lot of the energy efficiency measures being brought in by local government still make sense, though, because of the rapidly soaring cost of energy. Flood defences make sense, because there is more flooding of properties now.

Ifyoulike Thu 27-Dec-12 23:43:15

kim147 I reckon its up to us to fight for survival if we want it, because the planet is certainly not here just for us, or our amusement (and is probably about to shake us off like a bunch of troublesome fleas). grin

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Thu 27-Dec-12 23:44:09

Marking place for when I've not consumed home brew.

pictish Thu 27-Dec-12 23:46:27

shamelessly place marking

Ifyoulike Thu 27-Dec-12 23:47:02

I'm only posting because of the brew!!! grin

Fakebook Thu 27-Dec-12 23:48:07

Climate change doesn't specifically mean it's going to get just hotter or just wetter. It's a change in the behaviour of the climate. Flash floods, droughts, we had both this year. That is climate change. Yabvu and a bit naive.

CuttedUpPear Thu 27-Dec-12 23:49:45

YABU, you can't spell and you seem to have not stepped outside in the last three years.

cumfy Thu 27-Dec-12 23:55:33

Whilst it is incontrovertible that CO2 is warming the Earth, it is still a very open question what the sensitivity to a doubling of CO2 concentration is.

I think there is a very real likelihood we will reach peak oil in the next 30 years or so without having had any disastrous consequences from GW.

Then the shit will hit the fan.

kim147 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:57:20

Peak oil - interesting times ahead.

autumnlights12 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:57:49

YANBU. But the climate change industry is a massively funded industry, shitloads of money invested in proving that climate change is a recent man made phenomenon and not something which has been occurring naturally to this planet for millennia.

Dottiespots Fri 28-Dec-12 00:02:34

I have to agree with Worra. It all goes full circle and the planet will do whatever it wants and it will still be there when we are long gone. We are only tenants.

sooperdooper Fri 28-Dec-12 00:02:45

The climate has always changed over millions of years, and it'll continue to do so, Ive always failed to understand why people think that's so unexpected, although pollution etc is obviously an issue we can't control the planet or the weather as a whole, it's bigger and more powerful than humans are and I think maybe that's what people struggle to comprehend

sooperdooper Fri 28-Dec-12 00:04:36

To add, that's why the find fossils of seashells at the top of mountains for example, because sea levels have risen and fallen over millions of years with or without humans

LineRunner Fri 28-Dec-12 00:06:05

Erm...

Ifyoulike Fri 28-Dec-12 00:08:53

sooperdooper Amen!

Thats why I'm already starting work on my audition video, or would be if I could convince Dh !

Mars One project

peaceandlovebunny Fri 28-Dec-12 01:29:20

its killing you. and everyone else, unfortunately.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Dec-12 01:42:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TenPercenter Fri 28-Dec-12 01:42:43

Whether the Earth is heating up or cooling down I think it's highly egotistical to think we are the sole factor controlling this. I'm sure the burning of fossil fuels on a large scale will have some kind of effect, but to think this is the only factor, and the earth as a whole will not have some kind of counter effect to this is madness.

It's patently obvious that the climate/weather will do what the fuck it wants and we don't understand it in the slightest.

I'm sure that our industrialised societies will have some kind of effect on the atmosphere, but no idea what kind of effect and to what degree.

Lets face it, the earth will survive, we won't, exactly when humans will die out is up for grabs. There is no way that people will voluntarily go back to the stone age, so I guess it will just play out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now