To start watching buffy the vampire slayer now I'm not a teenager

(366 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 18:12:16

Have love film and have just started series one episode one. Am actually really excited blush

LauraSmurf Wed 13-Feb-13 18:08:53

Tee! Buffs is the reason I first went in a date with my husband! It even featured as part of our wedding. Buffs is legendary!

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:15:41

I have recently decided that, should I ever get married, I will have quotes from Buffy featured somewhere I don't care where. Especially the one where spike and Buffy have that convo in season 7, where she's left the house and is wearing a white t shirt and black trousers. Spike goes to find her and she is in some mans house. Eventually, they fall asleep together.

I will go find it...

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:18:45

I'm not asking you for anything. When I say I love you, it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you, and it has nothing to do with me. I love what you are. What you do. How you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you, and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You are a hell of a woman. You're the one.

It's just beautiful <sniff>

And then when they talked about it later he says

"All I did was hold you. Watch you sleep. It was the best night of my life."

<swoon>

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 18:20:00

Twll this one?

Spike:"You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I'd prefer you didn't. I don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker; I follow my blood, which doesn't always rush in the direction of my brain. So I've made a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years, only one thing I've ever been sure of. You. Look at me. I'm not asking you for anything. When I tell you that I love you, it's not because I want you, or 'cause I can't have you, it has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try... I've seen your strength, and your kindness, I've seen the best and the worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You are a hell of a woman. You're the one, Buffy."
Buffy: "I don't... I don't want to be the one."
Spike: " I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." --Spike & Buffy(BtVS, season 7). Episode: Touched

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 18:20:44

I was wondering about the dead references haha!

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:24:23

I would love to put the whole thing, but I think my nan etc would find it a bit harder to take grin so I took it out.

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:26:25

You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I'd prefer you didn't

I love that bit though. So much of the script is poetic.

I also wondered about having Xander and anyas number as my first dance grin

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 18:31:29

Favourite bit is season 3 when Angel comes back but they have to keep their hands off each other.

I love the music when they're doing the katas(?) in the crypt or whatever it is.

David Boreanez... Swoon.

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:37:45

When I watched it the first time I was literally in love with angel. Every single other time I have watched, it's been all about spike. I get that angel was her first love, but spike was the right one for her. Angel was far too self obsessed - he was basically a male Buffy and she needed someone like spike, in my humble opinion grin

The bit in passion, where angel is the voice over, is lovely though. "Passion speaks to us. It drives us" etc etc.

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 18:42:58

I'm gonna get my box sets out again!! Too many good episodes. The Prom, Amends... Oh, and I Will Remember You from Angel season 1... You seen that??

Swoon

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 18:43:35

I'm a Bangel fan rather than Spuffy, as you might tell!! smile

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 18:46:49

I never got in to Angel as a spin off I'm afraid!

I've been making my way through the box sets since Christmas. I forgot all about season five with glory - she was an ace Big Bad grin

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:25

Just see if you can watch episode 8 I think it is if you haven't seen it.. Buffy is in it and it's SUCH a weepy!! Spike is a regular in season 5 smile

EmpressOfThePuddle Wed 13-Feb-13 20:09:55

Passion? I barely drew breath in that episode. The part where Giles was following the trail and getting so excited...

MrsBW Wed 13-Feb-13 20:11:37

Right... Hubby is away 1 night and I will have time to watch 2 episodes (I have season 1-7)

Which ones??????? confused

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 20:28:31

The one where buddy's mum dies, definitely

And

Erm

Ohhhh soma my possibilities!!

EmpressOfThePuddle Wed 13-Feb-13 21:11:47

Once More With Feeling!

TwllBach Wed 13-Feb-13 21:20:17

^^
That!!

fizzykola Wed 13-Feb-13 22:37:50

Wow it sounds brilliant! Never seen it but I loved the Joss Whedon series 'Firefly'.
Do you watch it with DPs? If not how do you get peace to watch all those episodes???

EmpressOfThePuddle Thu 14-Feb-13 13:23:05

I watch when everyone's either out or asleep, Fizzykola.

Watched Same Time, Same Place last night.
My God...
I think the Willow-Gnarl scene is the single most gruesome thing I've seen on Buffy so far. I end up holding my stomach every time I think about it.

EmpressOfThePuddle Sun 17-Feb-13 13:24:19

And the Potentials are here.

Could someone not have got the 'British' ones an accent coach???

It feels too soon for Willow to be falling for Kennedy.

I love Buffy to absolute death, but something about the plot always irritated me.

Buffy dies....Kendra is "called"
Kendra dies..."Faith is "called"

Buffy dies again....no new slayer. The fact there already is one (Faith) can't be the reason as Buffy was alive when Faith was called....

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 13:41:29

This was mentioned on another thread I read recently Scarlett

Basically, there is only one Slayer line. So when Buffy dies, the line is continued through Kendra.

Kendra dies and the line is continued through Faith. When Buffy dies again, it doesn't matter, because the line is continued through Faith, IYSWIM?

Ahh right OK....is that ever explained? I can't believe I've missed it if it is. I now that she was supposed to stay dead and that's how the whole "The First" thing happened. I've watched it from start to finish multiple times (AT LEAST 10, probably more) and didn't know that explanation <<blushes>>

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 14:23:08

I don't recall it being explained - although I can well imagine Giles explaining it grin

It does sort of make sense though, because previous to Buffy, the Slayer never had any friends and therefore no one would have been around to care enough to revive her... apart from her Watcher perhaps. Or the Slayer that Spike killed that had the son. <ties self in knots>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now