To think Amazon have definitely cornered the market

(33 Posts)
kim147 Thu 13-Dec-12 22:30:55

In loads of things judging by the fact that at least half the packets at the post office collecting office seemed to be from Amazon?

Unbelievable.

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Wed 19-Dec-12 14:57:58

"Postie came twice today bearing A packets. He hates A ... said as much... "

Can't help thinking this bozo is in the wrong job.... hmm Darn those customers sending parcels!!!!

Arcticwaffle Wed 19-Dec-12 14:55:32

I'm an amazon groupie and I have a kindle too which means I'm really tied into them (though I do get a lot from Project Gutenberg but that's only got the old famous classics) but I am thinking of how to buy elsewhere.

Not convinced boycotts work though, I'm one of many who's been boycotting Nestle since forever, and I'm still boycotting Barclays from being a student in the 80s, and I boycott Israeli stuff, and Starbucks (no temptation there), and I'm newly boycotting Asda cos of their sexist Xmas ad. But I'm not sure any of them have noticed the lack of my custom.

MonkeyRisotto Wed 19-Dec-12 13:43:27

Nah, I can't switch to kobo, here it is distributed by Berlusconi's shops. Enough is enough.

Kayano Wed 19-Dec-12 13:38:54

Kim147 - lmfao!!!

Startail Wed 19-Dec-12 13:38:18

Amazon and play here (for the thing that was cheaper).
Amazon were quicker.

Wish DD2's present had been available on Amazon, sodding dance wear lot have put £44 on my card and can't deliver first or second choice by xmas and the orders been cancelled.

As for tax, I don't care, We pay lots and DDs go to school in in about the worst funded county in the country, so I'm not feeling charitable.

Kayano Wed 19-Dec-12 13:37:57

I have an Amazon problem and now I have a kindle fire and Amazon prime membership I did my Christmas shopping in less than 20 mins and it arrived the next day.

They need to pay more UK tax but I can't fault their service.

GothAnneGeddes Wed 19-Dec-12 13:37:54

"I know we're all supposed to enjoy pootling around the local artisan shops with
a wicker basket over our arm but it's not my
choice of leisure activity"

grin at this.

Although, I have switched to Kobo to Amazon a bit less of my money.

kim147 Wed 19-Dec-12 13:34:21

I bet they sell "Fly fishing" by JR Hartley.

Arcticwaffle Wed 19-Dec-12 13:31:52

It's not just the cheapness, they are very easy to use, very reliable, and their secondhand marketplace for books is just amazing. Almost any book ever printed just there for the clicking on.

I know we are supposed to be boycotting them, I'd done all my christmas shopping before the boycott started, but I hate high street shopping and to do it all simply online has made a big difference to my quality of life. I know we're all supposed to enjoy pootling around the local artisan shops with a wicker basket over our arm but it's not my choice of leisure activity.

PeterGladstone Wed 19-Dec-12 13:27:03

Has nobody noticed that Amazon are cheaper because they dont pay tax. You could say it is the schools, the hospitals etc who are subsidising them.

Eliza22 Fri 14-Dec-12 09:01:51

You know, times are tough financially and I use Amazon because you can choose something at a competitive price, have it wrapped and delivered for low P&P or free.

I sent gift cards to my niece and nephew recently for birthdays. I froze my you know what out going into town for said gift cards and then it cost me £7 at the post office to ensure they got there.

Amazon where possible for me, all the way!

I love shopping on Amazon, I am afraid.

LifeofPo Fri 14-Dec-12 08:24:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyStark Fri 14-Dec-12 08:21:50

I too have done all my Christmas shopping with amazon, it's quick and hassle free. Amazon is fab.

I'm with you there Kim. We got a card through to say we had to go to the sorting office in York to collect a letter without any postage on & I've decided I really CBA due to the traffic, lack of parking etc.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 14-Dec-12 08:11:51

Yes, they probably have. But that's because they are cheap and convenient and the provide a good service. What's not to like?

lljkk Fri 14-Dec-12 08:11:19

Is it actually Amazon you all are buying from or their associated sellers?

kim147 Fri 14-Dec-12 08:11:16

Haven't used Amazon yet - but did buy something recommended on an MN thread.

Biggest hassle with online shopping is going to collect from the office. Who thought it was a good idea to have it near the centre of York with no parking and double lines everywhere?

HaudYerWheeshtFannyBaws Fri 14-Dec-12 08:08:41

All my shopping was done at Amazon. I love them. Never, ever had a problem in all the years I've been using them.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 14-Dec-12 07:48:46

I love Amazon, they sell virtually everything and free postage. No queues, no hassle and great service. I use them weekly and have done the bulk of my christmas shopping via them as their prices and choice beats everyone else.

squoosh Fri 14-Dec-12 01:30:06

Their long term strategy is pretty depressing.

Keep prices low till other retailers have been pushed out of business then hoick the prices up again.

ChocHobNob Fri 14-Dec-12 01:26:58

YANBU. I have done the majority of my Christmas shopping online and bar a couple of things from Play and EBay, everything has come from Amazon because it's cheaper and I haven't had a single problem with delivery.

RobotLover68 Fri 14-Dec-12 01:23:18

LadyBeagle is right about them deserving it - also their customer service is excellent - tough if postie doesn't like it - between them and eBay they're probably keep Royal Mail going!

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Fri 14-Dec-12 01:01:00

If they've cornered the market they bloody deserve it.
It's the only online company I cannot fault.
And I live in the Highlands, and quite a remote part as well. But even then I've had next day delivery.
They use the Royal Mail up here, so kudos to them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now