Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Down sizing property's

(85 Posts)
Angienoonoo123 Thu 13-Dec-12 19:55:10

Hi everyone what are people's views on people under occupying there council homes , I no of a couple of people that are over 65 that live in 4 bedroom houses by there self they have to pay no rent the state of the houses are disgusting as they are to fragile to clean the houses they are in surley the council should In force a law that just because these people have lived in these houses for years dosent mean they should keep them they both have 3 spare bedrooms just sitting there shouldn't they be made to downsize ?? To a 2 bedroom or something it's not fair that these young couples with 3 -4 kids have to keep them in a flat with no garden while these oaps can't Evan take care of them selfs properly let alone a massive house !!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 13-Dec-12 22:16:07

Arf at IDS. grin

Pendipidy Thu 13-Dec-12 22:22:25

why are you all so sarcastic and nasty to the op over her spelling and grammar? not everyone has the benefit of a good education or are highly intelligent yet they can still surely have an opinion about something? you all know exactly what she is saying, why can't you educate and explain if you think you know better, rather than patronise and take the micky? do you not think that she is a real person, with feelings ?

on other threads you are all so quick to tell other posters, 'leave your husband, he is emotionally abusive to you, it isn't acceptable for him to put you down, talk to you like crap, take the micky , be sarcastic etc' , yet you are exactly the same to people like the op !

your nasty comments on her spelling are not funny, they just show you as snobby and nasty to people you view as inferior because you can spell and her spelling isn't so good. you should be ashamed of yourselves instead of thinking what a humorous, ironic comment you've just made and how clever you are.

and before anyone comments on my lack of capital letters and punctuation, i am on my phone and its too much hassle!

TalkativeJim Thu 13-Dec-12 22:25:37

OP, I feel that your username is trying to send you a subliminal message.

'Angie! No! Nooo!!!!!'

grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 13-Dec-12 22:27:31

It really didn't start with her grammar or spelling, but her quite vile attitude towards filthy, dirty 65yo+ who allow themselves and their homes to fall into disrepair... I did ask if this applied to all 65yo+ and she didn't answer, so I can only assume it does.

Foul attitude = foul replies. This one was looking for a bunfight, she didn't get it.

If she were really interested in opinions, it would be easy enough to search and read the several long threads there have already been on this topic.

OodKingWenceslas Thu 13-Dec-12 22:51:27

^7/10 for the spoof.

0/10 for the social housing policy.

[lightbulb] Are you Iain Duncan Smith?^

Quote of the week!

Dawndonna Thu 13-Dec-12 23:03:18

As previously stated Pen, it's about attitude. I would not dream of saying anything about grammar, spelling etc if someone appeared to be in a state of distress. This was just plain nasty and judgemental. The person concerned can spell appreciate maisonette and opinions but not bungalow. Obviously looking for trouble.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 13-Dec-12 23:15:53

I note OP's second post - when there was only one comment re her writing style - has been deleted. I did read it and was struck with the visciousness but can't recall the exact insults she threw. Put it this way, Pen, it really wasn't nice and was probably the reason the thread went downhill as far as OP was concerned.

thekidsrule Thu 13-Dec-12 23:16:27

Pendipidy

agree

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 13-Dec-12 23:17:15

Ah, I see OP had two posts deleted.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Thu 13-Dec-12 23:49:49

The deleted post contained something along the lines of stupid old hag or such I believe.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 13-Dec-12 23:51:35

That rings a bell, thanks. smile

Pandemoniaa Thu 13-Dec-12 23:54:08

I'm sorry but I cannot allow all this talk of bungerlos and buffaloes to continue without wanting to tell the dreadful old joke about the difference between a buffalo and a bison.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Fri 14-Dec-12 00:03:00

You carnt wash your faice in a buffalo!

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Fri 14-Dec-12 00:04:39

Sorry pandemoniaa
blush

Pandemoniaa Fri 14-Dec-12 00:06:29

Nicely punchlined, kitty
grin

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Fri 14-Dec-12 00:12:53

Thanks grin I tried. It is more of an aural joke though I suppose..

Always makes me think of Eliza Doolittle.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 14-Dec-12 00:52:27

[lightbulb] Are you Iain Duncan Smith?^

Can't be, if the op was then they would already know that oap's who want to downsize get money to do so,

He would also know that its the tenancy that is currently lifelong ( assuming they do nt breach it) rather than the house, he would also know that councils and ha's have to charge rent and do not just give them out for free.

Iain Duncan smith may be a fool but popular legend has it that he can actually read the current policies he is piss arsing about with.

FlourFace Fri 14-Dec-12 01:16:47

No reason to believe op isn't genuine so I agree with Pen. What a load of rude hags you are.

Social housing is broken. In fact, all housing is. And baby boomers have benefitted enormously from good housing and making profit on property.

So something needs to be done. Maybe the days of a council house for life are over.

Some councils offer a deal - down grade from your big house and we'll give you a new, smaller flat with free care and a few quid thrown in.

I'm open minded about it.

FlourFace Fri 14-Dec-12 01:22:01

Literacy privilege, or, why grammar nazis are dicks boingboing.net/2012/12/13/literacy-privilege-or-why-gr.html

FlourFace Fri 14-Dec-12 01:25:45
Loveweekends10 Fri 14-Dec-12 01:33:43

Do make a habit of laughing at people with dyslexia? Lovely all of you. Not.

Arisbottle Fri 14-Dec-12 01:39:22

If you have a problem with the OPs views fair enough, but to mock someone's level of literacy is cruel and unnecessary

Dawndonna Fri 14-Dec-12 07:28:12

Trust me, the OP doesn't have dyslexia, there is not one indicator of such in the OP.

As has been stated, the deleted post was pretty grim, you know what they say about the whole story......

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 14-Dec-12 07:43:05

Why are you being rude about the OP's spelling. Yes, there are plenty of people with dyslexia who spell this badly - my 14yo DD and my most recent Ex for starters. DD's dad is functionally illiterate. He couldn't even write a letter to DD, he had to dictate it to his wife.

I don't think it's kind to mock someone who obviously has a problem.

And I agree with the OP, anyway.

When you are in a B&B with two DC's and only a single bed, and you can see an OAP letting their house go to rack and ruin, it DOES get frustrating.

My Nan has bought her own home, but has sold, downsized and moved in her 80's as she couldn't keep up with the housework. Hasn't killed her, even though it's the house that she brought up her 5 DC's in, and spent most of her life in.

And she's very frail, and very ill too.

It's a state of mind - she wanted someone else who has a large family to enjoy the benefits of the house that had turned into a bad thing as she got older. Having lots of bedrooms and an upstairs is great when you have a growing family, not so great when you have limited mobility...

FrothyOM Fri 14-Dec-12 07:43:45

They do pay rent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now