To really dislike the acronym OH?

(40 Posts)
MrsLyman Thu 13-Dec-12 12:46:59

I know it's a bit trivial but I get a bit irked everytime I come across it.

WinklyVersusTheZombies Thu 13-Dec-12 12:48:22

Me too. I am whole, all by myself.

scarletforyaOfficialXmasGRINCH Thu 13-Dec-12 12:49:53

Yabu, I think it's a nice cover-all thingy, wheras 'Mrs' is quaint! Na, na, na, na, NAH!!! wink

EmmaBemma Thu 13-Dec-12 12:55:38

I hate all mumsnet acronyms. I don't understand the point of them at all - why not just use the actual words, it only takes about half a second longer to type. And it's got confusing too, all this DSIS and STBEX and WAHMS and WOHMS and whatever, it makes people look like they've got caps-lock tourettes.

You shouldn't have to consult a reference list to understand what the hell someone is going on about.

EIizaDay Thu 13-Dec-12 12:59:12

If this had been Mumsnet 50 years ago the acronym would have been BH. Don't think you hear that any more do you - although I do try to get my OH to use it smile

FredFredGeorge Thu 13-Dec-12 13:35:03

OH is not the other half of yourself, it's the other half of a couple, so YABU.

bradywasmyfavouritewiseman Thu 13-Dec-12 13:36:10

what Fred said.

Smellslikecatspee Thu 13-Dec-12 13:40:31

I hate DP, we're all have our cross to bear grin

EuroShagmore Thu 13-Dec-12 13:45:36

I hate all the Ds more. They are just so twee. OH I can live with.

EIizaDay Thu 13-Dec-12 14:06:05

Dogs Euro?

EdithWeston Thu 13-Dec-12 14:13:40

D is good: dratted, damned, dog's breath etc

UhOhChongo Thu 13-Dec-12 14:19:41

I heard a new reference to partner/spouse the other day: Life Companion. hmm

LeBFG Thu 13-Dec-12 14:23:13

My obnoxious neighbour referred to my LC (MUCH better than DH) and myself as 'bed fellows' when I told her we weren't married hmm.

LeBFG Thu 13-Dec-12 14:23:58

Ooops, my smilie looks bald...hmm, that's better.

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Thu 13-Dec-12 14:25:48

I've been using these acronyms on t'internet well before I was posting on MN.

I particularly like the 'd' one, it's not twee at all, especially when it refers to my dastardly children...

TanteRose Thu 13-Dec-12 14:28:38

Btw, they are not just MN acronyms - they are used all over the global Internet chat rooms

TanteRose Thu 13-Dec-12 14:30:10

X-post Tapir smile

ClippedPhoenix Thu 13-Dec-12 14:35:17

I don't mind but they do seem to get a bit complicated and I have to re-read when lots of them are used one after the other for different family members. I also forget what PITA is and haven't got a clue what HTH means confused

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Thu 13-Dec-12 14:37:09

Tante grin

HTH = Hope That Helps
PITA = Pain In The Arse

PanickingIdiot Thu 13-Dec-12 14:43:14

I hate all mumsnet acronyms. I don't understand the point of them at all - why not just use the actual words, it only takes about half a second longer to type. And it's got confusing too, all this DSIS and STBEX and WAHMS and WOHMS and whatever, it makes people look like they've got caps-lock tourettes.

This.

WTF is the one that springs to mind every time I see them.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 13-Dec-12 15:09:18

thanks tapir.

AdoraJingleBells Thu 13-Dec-12 15:18:54

I only really use it because there was a time when my husband was being such Dick Head that I can't write DH about him without thinking dickhead. I am also a whole person and don't actually feel that I need him, or anyone else to complete me in any way. For the record, he shown quite a few redeeming qualities since that time.

HappyJustToBe Thu 13-Dec-12 15:22:06

Mumsnet has changed me. I find posts that don't use the acronyms harder to read. When people start posing about person A and friend B I struggle to follow.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Thu 13-Dec-12 15:24:29

They are not Mumsnet acronyms. They are internet acronyms.

I know it is hard for some people to understand, but Mumsnet is not the internet and was not and is still not the only or first parenting/relationship site.

That being said, I don't use them. I actually type my husband, my son etc.

Agree that they are internet-wide, and I still bloody hate them (as I posted last week). It's not difficult to use a generic name instead of 'Friend A' - let's call her 'Jane' shall we? - if that's confusing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now