To think she was exaggerating

(93 Posts)
Bluebelleswood Thu 13-Dec-12 12:43:33

I've just had coffee,in Costa, with a friend and my friends friend. I have never met this person before.

On her arrival, she announced that she had a terrible migraine.

It didn't prevent her drinking a large, sweet christmas special coffee with whipped cream. She also described her symptoms at length, and was generally very voluble and animated.

As a migraine sufferer myself I find the only way I can cope with migraine is to go to bed in a very dark room.

Aibu to think that she was exaggerating.

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Thu 13-Dec-12 13:38:58

What do you mean by speech confusion wewilson ?

I can find it hard to articulate, but I always thought it's because of the pain meaning I can't concentrate well and that I live abroad so am always speaking a foreign language (which is just that much harder with a splitting headache!)

I do often find that talking to DH I give up half-way through cos it's too much effort to articulate.

Atthewelles Thu 13-Dec-12 13:42:46

YANBU. Some people really like to exaggerate illnesses - headaches are 'migraines', head colds are ''flu', slight food intolerances are 'allergies'.

I remember having a pretty major operation and people who had had minor procedures telling me they 'knew just how I felt' when I was recovering. [hmmm]

Atthewelles Thu 13-Dec-12 13:45:41

Does it matter what she called it? Lots of people claim they have the flu, when clearly it's just a mild cold. It doesn't bother me what they call it, it's a non-issue, no? Quote

Well it does matter really as people going around giving the impression that you can go our for coffee when you have a migraine make it difficult for genuine sufferers to be taken seriously when they need time off work or to cancel important appointments.

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 13:45:44

Deck I couldn't find my words. So I was trying to phone DP to bring some drugs home for me - had just had the 'aura' thing - but was telling him to go to the hospital instead of the chemist. So in my head I was saying 'chemist' but what was coming out was 'hospital'. And then when I was trying to say 'that's funny, why did I just say chemist?' I said something like 'me no know, go to medicine.' He was in the car and absolutely freaked. Mind you, so did I - I was aware that what was coming out of my mouth wasn't what I wanted to say but had no way of correcting it.

desertgirl Thu 13-Dec-12 13:48:13

I get what have been diagnosed as migraines, but I am very reluctant to refer to them as such because they are not that bad, and there seems to be a widely held belief that something is only a migraine if it makes you need to lie down in a dark room. Mine are just visual disturbances (zig zag lines, mostly), sometimes with mild nausea, followed by an unpleasant but not debilitating headache. The neurologist reckoned they are migraines though....

whois Thu 13-Dec-12 13:48:19

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo

Why do you care

If people didn't care about random stuff and random people then AIBU would be very quiet wouldn't it?

OP YANBU. I can't stand people who have 'flu for every mild cold, migrane for every headache etc

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 13-Dec-12 13:48:50

I know some migraines don't involve headaches, although DP's do (along with the sickness, nausea, sensitivity to lights and sound, visual disturbances, needing a dark room, etc, but not the aura, oddly enough).

In any case, whatever type of migraine, I can't see a sufferer wanting to spend time in a coffee shop. Sounds a bit dramatic to me wink

HeathRobinson Thu 13-Dec-12 13:50:05

Wilson - I get speech confusion, when I have a really bad migraine.
Really weird.

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 13:51:13

Heath we should both go for coffee next time grin we can be confused at each other.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 13-Dec-12 13:51:35

desertgirl if the neurologist says they are migraines, I'd listen to him and not everyone else. After all, they don't all have medical qualifications do they?

Oh lordy. Is that my colleague Bluebelleswood?! If you're in Edinburgh, I'd strongly suspect it was.... Seriously - 8 day 'migraines' on a monthly basis, although she can go to cinema, etc. Also constant 'flu'. Crikey.

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 13:57:26

for me it would depend on the stage of the migrane, mine last ages, 2 days sometimes! at the beginning or end I could go to costa, in the middle I'm bed bound in a darkened room!

desertgirl Thu 13-Dec-12 14:05:58

FryOne, there are a lot of people on this thread suggesting I shouldn't call them that, though, aren't there? Usually just say I'm not feeling too good; covers a multitude of sins!

IWipeArses Thu 13-Dec-12 14:11:08

I get 'migraines' very rarely, I feel a bit odd and my sight goes funny. No pain at all. I'd rather sit in a coffee shop with funny eyes than at home by myself with funny eyes.

crypes Thu 13-Dec-12 14:14:48

In my opinion there are alot of people who have never experienced a migraine and Praps think a severe tension headache is the same and sometimes they are brought on by glaring lights or computer screen.But those who have had migraine know they are not tension headaches . I suddenly become very subdued with a migraine knowing the terror of it to come.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 13-Dec-12 14:15:03

Desertgirl The people on this thread are relating their own experiences. I looked into migraines after it became apparent that DP's were being reduced due to an AD he was prescribed.

There are a significant number of people who are diagnosed as having migraines but who do not get headaches. It is different to each person. You've been diagnosed as having migraines, so migraines you have smile

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Thu 13-Dec-12 14:27:26

I get diagnosed migraines. They are horrible but variable. I could possibly go to a coffee shop sometimes. I could have tea because although caffeine can be a trigger it can also treat them. Would I be explaining my symptoms cheerily, probably not?

SantasNaughtySack Thu 13-Dec-12 14:32:27

I get visual migraines with no pain. I just go blind in my left eye and get pins and needles down the left side of my face and neck. They're unpleasant and make me feel a bit drunk, but I could manage coffee with friends without too much issue.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Thu 13-Dec-12 14:34:38

Yes bluebell i did. Did YOU mean to hoik your judgy pants over something so utterly trivial?

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Thu 13-Dec-12 14:38:02

wewilson yup I muddle words up! I thought it was because of having to speak French but seems it's just another thing I can chalk up to the migraines (yay)

I've only ever met a handful of other people in RL with diagnosed migraines.

When other people say they've got a migraine I have loads of sympathy (obviously cos I suffer from them) and ask what meds they take etc. etc. I find it's helpful to chat with others to see what works for them. They then look at bit sheepish and say nothing, it's just a bit of a headache.

That does anoy me quite a bit actually, because it's one of the reasons I struggle into work as migraines are not seen as a real "illness" because every Tom, Dick and Harry says they have one when it's actually just a headache.

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 14:39:05

I get visual migraines too. I've been diagnosed so know that's what to call them, but I've had ordinary headaches that were way more painful.

She sounds pretty rude, though, to keep banging on about how she felt to someone she'd just met, it's boring. Mention it once to excuse why you're acting a bit oddly - fine. Yakking on - boring.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Thu 13-Dec-12 14:47:19

I don't get migraines. If I get a headache, then 99.9% of the time it'll be caused by either tension, or less often dehydration. I looked into migraines as DP, his mum, sister and sister's 3 (adult) kids all get them. So I wanted to keep an eye out in case it was in their family and our 2 DCs developed them.

Migraines often begin as vague stomach pains in children. Both DCs may be developing this sad they get unexplained stomach aches on occasion, and recently DD (aged 12) had a headache and complained of feeling dizzy with it. I'm really hoping it was a one-off as DP has suffered really badly with them.

scuzy Thu 13-Dec-12 14:50:10

anyone else picturing Katherine Tate's nan character where she roars in the clinic, one patient asks her to please keep it down she has a migraine, nan apologises profusely and when patient is called in to doc, nan turns around and says "headache! she's got fuckin headache! wara fuckin liberteeee"! love it.

WeWilsonAMerryChristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 14:50:35

Deck, nope, it's the migraines grin. God they're evil!

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Thu 13-Dec-12 14:54:45

Yup migraines are fuckers.

The worst was when I was having weekly ones, then got pregnant so had to stop all medication. Severe morning sickness + migraines = horror.

I'm not looking forward to the next pregnancy : possible severe morning sickness + migraine + toddler = ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now