to ask if your Christmas is looking very similar to the Asda mums?

(72 Posts)
kim147 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:35:48

So far...

Or are you working as a team with your OH smile

Annunziata Thu 13-Dec-12 13:44:19

Yes.

BridgetBidet Thu 13-Dec-12 13:45:52

No. I don't think I've ever seen one that was either, the blokes in my family and my in laws all pull their weight and do more than their fair share at Christmas.

And this year it's at my father in laws and there will be 3 men there and me, they are going to do all the work and I am going to look after my baby drink Baileys.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 13-Dec-12 14:13:02

DH and I are both run off our feet at the moment with a combination of Xmas preparations and having recently moved house (and country!). I am probably doing a bit more Xmas stuff and he is doing more house stuff but we are both contributing equal amounts of effort and having equal nonexistent amounts of downtime.

There is not a chance in hell one of us would ever let the other cook all the Xmas dinner, sit on a shitty pouffe instead of a chair, and then do all the washing up. I remain fucking SHOCKED that anybody thinks that doing both the cooking and the washing up on Xmas day is acceptable. Only if you're a fucking martyr doormat.

MummyPig24 Thu 13-Dec-12 14:16:59

I'm fairly relaxed. I've done all my shopping and wrapping. I suppose oh will finish his mum and dads stuff at some point, he likes to do that himself. I've done my Christmas cards. I need to make the dessert for Christmas day to take to my nans so there's really not much to do. If dd wasn't so poorly I'd be really excited!

ChristmasIsAcumenin Thu 13-Dec-12 14:23:22

Sigh. Here we go. Dial down the insults, thank you, HoldMeCloser. I'm not a martyr doormat. My DP is paralysed from the neck down.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 13-Dec-12 14:27:11

Good grief no. DH and I do equal shares in housework and childcare, Christmas is no different.

impty Thu 13-Dec-12 14:29:50

Yes. But I mostly shop online so food and presents is easy.

Dh works long hours and I don't work. So I do Christmas. When the pil leave after Christmas I will have my break. Dh will treat me like a Queen! grin

I don't do the martyr act. Dc's, pil's and dh will be asked to chip in during the festivities.wink

My hard work is always noted and thanks given, so I'm happy to do it!

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 14:30:36

asda mums definitely exist, and they seem to mostly like it that way other than a couple of years when they have a melt down about it but most of the time they don't allow their OH's in "their" kitchen etc

in our house I do the presents/cards/wrapping etc and usually the meal planning but on the day DH is much calmer in the kitchen then me so he does the actual cooking. He does the christmas shopping food too but with a list I give him. He also does the washing up

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Thu 13-Dec-12 14:35:34

No - I write the list, dh does most of the shopping, he and the dcs decorated and wrapped, he insists on doing the big dinner, and I get to approve their hard work and make xmas morning breakfast.

Everything else is equally shared out.

zlist Thu 13-Dec-12 14:38:03

DH is trying this year - he can clearly see that I am completely uninterested in the whole thing. He took a couple of hours off today (I had a half-day) to come with me whilst finished buying for the DC (last chance before xmas to do this without them). He was going to get something for his parents then too but we both lost interest and came home! He can sort that out next week as he has the week off - in fact I expect he will do quite a lot next week. I just have to stop insisting it is done my way and let him get on with it I think.
We had scaled Christmas right back to almost only the things that we enjoy as a family but unfortunately more of the obligation stuff has creeped back in this year.

Pancakeflipper Thu 13-Dec-12 14:40:06

Yes. I have a spreadsheet for pressies and everything. And that reminds me DP has the responsibility of cracker buying and I haven't checked up on how this is going...

Hobbitation Thu 13-Dec-12 14:43:06

Well, I'm doing most of the present buying and wrapping, but with joint money and I have a lot more free time than DH does. DH and DDs put up the decorations. I only buy presents for about ten people anyway. I don't have to do any cooking as we are going round to PIL. I wont be sitting on a small poof there smile DPs are staying with us, but they do ten times a year anyway so it's no different. I feel very relaxed about everything.

Backtobedlam Thu 13-Dec-12 14:50:40

Ours is pretty much like the asda advert pre-christmas day...present buying, shopping, writing cards, on my own with kids. all changes on christmas day-last year dh and his friend did the potatoes, mum and gran did the veg, and dad and grandpa did the table, sisters did extra bits, literally all I did was put the turkey in the oven and take it out again (dh carved it) then sat back and took the praise, while everyone complemented the dinner and then offered to clear up!

drownangels Thu 13-Dec-12 14:55:12

Dh putting the decorations up this weekend and doing some food shopping. I'm doing the cards Friday
D h makes Christmas dinner
Dh has ordered the big presentsim going to the trafford centre for shopping on Monday

I'll do the wrapping next week when the house us empty.
Same as every year!

Lemonylemon Thu 13-Dec-12 14:56:01

I'm definitely like the ASDA mum! Pretty much most of the stuff gets done by me. But then, I'm on my own with two DC. However, over the years, the Baileys and mince pie for Santa is now done by DS & DD; Christmas dinner has evolved into pre-stuffed turkey breast joint with Jamie Oliver's roast veggies plus other bits and bobs; the washing up is done by DS (very, very badly - but it's a start); DD helps to lay the table and clear it again afterwards; they both have to keep the place tidier than they normally do.

But if I did have a partner and after all that, he turned round and asked what was for tea, he'd get a swift kick to the gonads.

lemonmuffin Thu 13-Dec-12 15:04:53

Very similar yes. As is my best friends, my mums and countless other women I know.

stubbornstains Thu 13-Dec-12 15:08:03

No way. I couldn't cope with horrible overhead lighting like that grin

Am already mulling over potential tasks for every family member on the day.

New boyfriend will be making his wonderful Thai seafood soup for dinner on Christmas Eve not that he knows that yet

kim147 Thu 13-Dec-12 20:28:44

Little bump for the evening crowd (who've probably had to find time this evening to go to the delivery office for presents)

XBenedict Thu 13-Dec-12 20:29:54

Yep pretty much the ASDA mum Xmas here too - but I love it! grin

cory Thu 13-Dec-12 20:48:15

Not really. A Swedish Christmas dinner is more of a buffet meal, so we will all be pitching in- large extended family, and then we have an English turkey dinner cooked by dh the day after. Washing up doesn't really seem too much of a chore, seeing that whoever doesn't wash up will be dragged out for long strengthening walks by my db, in order to gather energy for dancing round the Christmas tree.

cheeseandbiscuitsplease Thu 13-Dec-12 21:58:21

Yes. That woman on the advert is me. Completely. My husband is lovely and far from
Lazy, he's a brill daddy and always doing something but organising Christmas is down to me.

webfizzystuff Thu 13-Dec-12 22:10:04

I have done everything so far and DH has had a last minute business trip away for a week last week and has worked till 11pm every night this week so it looks he'll be spending the weekend snoozing rather than usefully contributing to Christmas plans. If I don't do it it doesn't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now