to ask if your Christmas is looking very similar to the Asda mums?

(72 Posts)
kim147 Thu 13-Dec-12 11:35:48

So far...

Or are you working as a team with your OH smile

Latara Thu 13-Dec-12 11:40:44

Got no OH, just close family, going out for dinner on Xmas day to a restaurant for the first time ever & really looking forward to it! (after 3 shitty Xmas days in 3 years it should be good!)

smile

BatCave Thu 13-Dec-12 11:41:45

Oh good god no

blackeyedsusan Thu 13-Dec-12 11:45:08

in that I do everrything... yes... single parent, caring for elderly mum... ex who is incapable of organising a piss-up in a brewery. not having family roungd though. just ex, and mum.

N0tinmylife Thu 13-Dec-12 11:47:29

Nope, we are going to my Mums this year, but the years we have Christmas at home DH does all the cooking, while I drink wine assist.

3ismylot Thu 13-Dec-12 11:48:26

Nothing Like it grin

DH will be doing all the cooking ( I cook too but DH loves doing the christmas lunch)

Arcticwaffle Thu 13-Dec-12 11:50:54

No. DP will do the supermarket shopping, DBil the cooking, DP and dd2 have done all the decorating, DP and I share the present buying, and I'm drawing up a Christmas Chores list for all dc and adults to sign up to (peeling veg, etc).
I view my job as stocking filling, mulled wine making, and a bit of menu-planning.

am boycotting asda since that add too.

MrsKeithRichards Thu 13-Dec-12 11:51:25

Nope.

BertieBotts Thu 13-Dec-12 11:52:14

Nope.

I have done hardly anything shock

DP will be home in a week and will probably go Christmas mad grin

goldenlula Thu 13-Dec-12 11:55:12

So far I have done all the present shopping, I prefer it that way. I have written all the cards. I will probably do the food shop as dh is working and we have a busy weekend before Christmas. Dh will prepare the potatoes and veg and will help with the cooking. I will also do most of the wrapping of presents. Dh will put together anything that needs putting together on Christmas Day!

whistlestopcafe Thu 13-Dec-12 11:58:49

No there isn't really that much to do. We don't have any visitors.

I have done most (90%) of the present buying although dh has been traipsing around London getting the hard to find items.

We don't ponce about making complicated meals on Christmas day. We buy stuff that you can bung in the oven so no hassle there.

HolofernesesHead Thu 13-Dec-12 11:59:24

No! grin Iam doing things slowly, as much in advance as poss, with dh and the dc all doing things that are age- and ability-(!) appropriate. On Christmas Day we'll all pitch in together to get the meal ready, table laid (that's the dcs' dept), fire stoked etc. It's the best way! (IMHO)

MrsKeithRichards Thu 13-Dec-12 11:59:34

I've not set foot in one shop.

whistlestopcafe Thu 13-Dec-12 11:59:41

Forgot to add that Dh will make the cards and do all of the wrapping.

Yes, but only because I want to and I like to be prepared. Dh would do anything I asked or needed doing but he doesn't give a monkeys bollock about the 'extras' like new christmas decorations or wreaths as the ones in the loft would be fine. And he's right, they would be fine.

He's not remotely interested in sitting on his arse and the day the schools finish (he's last, it's 4.40 on the 21st for him) he's mine and available - before that he has a massive amount of coursework to get back to students.

I think the question is "Is that guy in the Asda advert busy doing something else" or is he avoiding doing the family work. Even the question at the end isn't bad - he's simply asking 'what's for tea' - in my house DH asks that and in my house it's shorthand for 'have you already planned anything or shall I pop in the kitchen and get started on cos I'm already peckish'.

If you're married to someone who avoids doing the family work then you picked badly.

ToriaHosannaHeadacheChelsea Thu 13-Dec-12 12:00:20

Yes. I do the food shopping, present shopping, wrapping and card writing and were we at home I'd do all the cooking too. As it is I just need to find a big enough turkey an store it in my freezer as we're all going to my aunt's this year.

If it was left to him we'd eat Tesco frozen party food and mince pies (and an awesome pudding full of whisky), presents, such as they were (he still has to order for the ONE person I left him to get for) would be handed over in their carrier bags and nobody would get cards.

In his defense he would much rather put all the toys together, find batteries, tidy up after me, make sure everyone has drinks and snacks, do trips to the garage for more beer and do various other jobs I don't want to do, and I enjoy organising, shopping and cooking so it's no great loss to me!

ToriaHosannaHeadacheChelsea Thu 13-Dec-12 12:02:42

Laurie I think you and I are saying the same thing, though my DH hasn't yet worked out when his school finishes and is, as I type, marking mock papers during his free period.

Sianilaa Thu 13-Dec-12 12:03:29

Nothing like Asda's version! I've also boycotted Asda since that ad..

DH has done all the decorating, we've shared all the shopping and wrapping. I've done the cards. We made a shopping list together and he's sorted the Xmas food shop online and will unpack it all. I'll do the cooking but DCs and DH will set table, do drinks, prepare veg, etc.

We're very much a team.

TeWisBeenNargledByTheMistletoe Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:14

I have done almost all of it so far.

However I will do bugger all on the day (bar pitching in with the washing up) as DH will take over as supreme host/chef.

bellechristmas Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:16

Not at all, DH does the food, I am in charge of playing with the children and the carving of the turkey. All shopping done online so no dashing round the shops.

TheSecondComing Thu 13-Dec-12 12:06:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BornToFolk Thu 13-Dec-12 12:07:10

Not really. I'm single so that means I'm doing all the prep but that's fine, not much to do as it'll just be three of us (me, mum and DS) for Christmas dinner and then my dad's joining us for tea.

I think Christmas Day should be a fairly relaxed affair, mum and I will cook lunch together, DS can pitch in peeling veg etc and tea is going to be mainly cheese and crackers and snacky bits so just needs bunging on the table.

I've done 90% of the present shopping online and had it delivered to work. Wrapping has been done in a few batches while watching telly in the evenings. My sister took us to get the tree last weekend (don't have a car!) and me and DS had a lovely time decorating it. ExP and I used to bicker about getting is straight but this year I just whacked it in the stand. I find the most stressful bit of Christmas is making and icing a Christmas cake so I've decided not to bother this year.

I've made a conscious effort NOT to be stressed this year as it's going to be a difficult one anyway (first Christmas since Exp left) and so far, it's worked! I'm focusing on the nice times I'm going to have with family and friends and making it as lovely for DS as I can.

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Thu 13-Dec-12 12:07:18

Nope, a nice even split here. He's been watching YouTube videos on how to bake so he can help me make the Yule Log too, bless him.

whistlestopcafe Thu 13-Dec-12 12:08:23

What a nightmare TSC angry. Can you and your dm exchange the gifts you have bought?

ZeldaUpNorth Thu 13-Dec-12 12:08:43

Yep, i've done all xmas shopping, will be doing the food shop, cooking dinner (i prefer to do it while dp builds all the toys up/wrestles them out of the packaging wink ) He does help tidy up on the day before guests come though (probably more than me actually as i'm a slob)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now