WIBU to speak to school about nativity play?

(17 Posts)
bluebean Thu 13-Dec-12 11:09:31

DD1 is nearly 5yo and had been rehearsing her line for the Christmas show for over a month. We went to see the performance today, and her part seemed to have been cut.

She did some great singing and dancing in the chorus, but there was no opportunity for her to say her line.

At the start, the HT mentioned lots of kids were off sick, so teachers may fill in. I think they thought she just wasn't there.

I'm really upset that she didn't get to say her line, and worried that she's been overlooked. She is generally a quiet and well behaved child.

However, I know I've no sense of perspective today, my mum died a year ago today. So I was pretty emotional already.

So, WIBU to say something to the school? Or should I just accept that these things happen. DD is still at school, so I don't know if she's upset or not.

RedHelenB Thu 13-Dec-12 11:11:03

Are you absolutely certain she was saying a line? Or if she was maybe she decided she didn't want to on the day.

RedHelenB Thu 13-Dec-12 11:12:19

Oh and let it go. She will have plenty of opportunities to perform in her school career!! Sorry about you Mum though xx

Bless you and sorry about your mum sad Two years down the line for me and on the first anni of my mums death I was pretty upset too and something minor like this may have got to me.

No, YWBU to mention it, it is just one of those things....if you complain you will sound bonkers to be honest.

Pandemoniaa Thu 13-Dec-12 11:14:30

Very sorry about your Mum but please don't speak to the school. You'll come across as terribly precious. These things do happen and there will be all sorts of reasons why the line might have had to be cut. As she's not yet 5, your dd has years of performances to come.

bluebean Thu 13-Dec-12 11:14:36

She def had a line, we had it send home to practice. I spoke to a friend who said she said it at yesterday's performance. Unfortunately there were only two performances, and we could only make today's.

MerryChristmasEverybody Thu 13-Dec-12 11:15:37

I would, in a light hearted way, mention it to the teacher. There may be a valid reason. Has your DD told you why?

bluebean Thu 13-Dec-12 11:16:13

Thanks for the perspective, I thought I might come across as somewhat bonkers! I won't mention it.

Floralnomad Thu 13-Dec-12 11:16:57

What will actually be gained by bringing it up ? I'd see what your daughter says this afternoon if she says something to you about it then I'd be inclined to go and see the teacher .However I don't think you should ask her ,just say what a lovely show it was etc .Sorry about your mum.

bluebean Thu 13-Dec-12 11:18:01

Xpost. Not spoken to DD yet. I'll only speak to her teacher if she's particularly upset. Even then I'll attempt a light hearted approach!

Jingleflobba Thu 13-Dec-12 11:28:36

Did someone else say her line or was it just not there?
Tbh unless DD mentions it herself I wouldn't say anything. If DD mentions it then you wouldn't look bad going to ask the teacher.
So sorry about your Mum thanks

Pandemoniaa Thu 13-Dec-12 11:35:02

I wouldn't even mention it to your dd. If she does say she wishes she could have said her line then you need to tell her that these things happen sometimes. Not go to the teacher who, in fairness, can't do anything after the event.

honeytea Thu 13-Dec-12 12:05:57

I'm sorry about your mum sad

Maybe your dd got confused because the child who was saying the line before her was away so she missed her line.

anothercuppaplease Thu 13-Dec-12 12:09:41

Happened to DS last year, whoever was supposed to say his line after him said it too earlly and DS shouted 'it's not your turn, it's mine!' it was hilarious.

I don't think you should say anything, but it is a shame...

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 13-Dec-12 12:15:16

She or another child probably made a mistake & missed the cue.

It is annoying. In professional panto last year dd was one of only. 2 juveniles to get a line and a couple of the other kids kept trying on purpose to scupper it.

Eventually the chaperone intervened.

WildWorld2004 Thu 13-Dec-12 13:12:41

I dont see the point in complaining about it. What do you expect to get from speaking to the teacher? They arent going to redo the play.

helpyourself Thu 13-Dec-12 13:19:33

Sorry about your Mum.
I'd let it go- your dd probably won't mention it and if she does I'd say- 'what a shame, I loved it when you sang...'
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now