Can i take a 8-10 week old baby to a concert?

(81 Posts)
angeltattoo Thu 13-Dec-12 09:40:02

Please excuse the naivety of a first-time mum!

I am due on 12th April, and there is a concert i would kill to love to go to on 20th June. Obviously I do not know exactly when i'll give birth, but if she arrives between due date and two weeks over, she'll be between 8-10 weeks

My DH says we cannot take a baby that age to a concert. Is he right? I saw a baby at a Rugby match in a big stadium once, it was days old, and slept all through. Although a rock concert will be louder. I was thinking a sling and some ear muffs/hat?!

Am I stupid and idiotic BU?

Opinions of experienced mums appreciated. I hope to be EBF. My mum is close by and could babysit but I think she'll be too young to be away from me, and me from her smile

Nanny0gg Fri 15-Mar-13 22:42:28

DEAR GOD!! PLEASE READ THE THREAD! THE OP'S ALREADY SAID (3 MONTHS AGO) THAT SHE'S NOT GOING TO GO!!

Xmasbaby11 Fri 15-Mar-13 21:44:59

Absolutely not.

BonaDrag Fri 15-Mar-13 21:37:14

This is a few months old now...

Aside from the obvious- it would be too loud for a baby and not a suitable environment... OP, you may not want to go. It depends. Some women are raring to go a week after child birth, others it takes at least 12 weeks before they can think of going out for an evening. I would also suggest you may not enjoy yourself and may be too knackered.

Look, Bruce isn't retiring as far as I'm aware, he will tour again.

LadyApricot Fri 15-Mar-13 21:29:27

Ear defenders, lots of milk. She'll be fine!

appletarts Fri 15-Mar-13 21:23:03

Jeez what's this old bit of thread doing hanging about!

appletarts Fri 15-Mar-13 21:19:53

Uhmm bit silly don't you think? You're in for a bit of a shock if you think a baby is so portable and handy that you can take him to a concert. I wouldn't mind betting you don't even go on your own when baby comes, you'll be knackered and if breastfeeding won't be able to anyway. Life does change when you have a baby, well ought to anyway.

WhatsTheBuzz Fri 15-Mar-13 19:45:02

see
it's an old thread and would never take a born baby to a gig but as
they are indeed so loud, I don't think anyone's 'screaming kid' would be
an issue.

Oooops, just noticed it's an old thread. blush

I took DD to a concert when she was 5 weeks old.

However, this was one of the National Trust open air classical concerts, music was lovely and not excessively loud. Plenty of seating (our own), food, drink, etc and we weren't near the speakers. It was great, and DD was perfectly fine (only woke up when she roused for a feed during the interval, perfect timing grin).

Doting Daddy (DP) held her all evening, and even the fireworks didn't wake her up.

But I wouldn't have taken her to a stadium concert.

chubbychipmonk Fri 15-Mar-13 19:23:02

Are you being serious??

Why in Gods name would you take a baby to a concert?! Get a babysitter or don't go. . . Like someone else said, your life changes when you have a babysitter, you can't just take them with you everywhere you go.. . Supermarket - yes, nightclubs & concerts - no!!

trinity0097 Fri 15-Mar-13 19:19:18

No-one ever sits in seating areas, you would end up standing for the whole time. Don't do it, either use a sitter or don't go.

I do wonder if Myrtle has ever been to a big indoor concert? hmm

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 15-Mar-13 17:19:56

I know Nanny.
Another case of RTFT.

Nanny0gg Fri 15-Mar-13 17:16:13

The OP said she wasn't going to on the 13th December last year!!

At least read the OP's posts, even if you don't read anyone else's!!

pigletmania Fri 15-Mar-13 16:31:44

I wouldn't it's not really the place for a young baby, te sound will be cranked up to deathening proportions

LadyPessaryPam Fri 15-Mar-13 15:04:15

Think it might be too loud for the tiny baby ears, I wouldn't risk it.

DublinMammy Fri 15-Mar-13 14:44:47

Don't bring him or her, leave with your mum and a stash of expressed milk, express just before you go so you don't leak and have a fab night!!! It's too noisy for a baby and more fun for you to leap wildly about solo. Good to have something like that to look forward to.

Snoopingforsoup Fri 15-Mar-13 14:31:08

Don't do it.
Babies at outdoor festivals with sound protection is fine.
Indoor venues, no way. Not until they're at school at least..
Just don't do it. Get a babysitter.
Don't want to out myself but worked in the music industry for years. Crowds, queues, no baby change and lots of pissed up people. Gigs are not places for newborns.

alisunshine29 Fri 15-Mar-13 12:12:40

Too loud for baby. I took baby to many places when she was tiny (theatre, comedy show etc) but concerts are just too loud.

pinkyredrose Fri 15-Mar-13 11:31:43

Ah yeah, it is!

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 15-Mar-13 11:29:54

I think Op decided against way back in December.
A bit of a zombie thread really.

pinkyredrose Fri 15-Mar-13 11:24:11

Sorry but it I've paid to go to a concert then I want to be able to listen to it, not someones screaming kid.

DinglebertWangledack Fri 15-Mar-13 10:08:45

Because she'd be doing her baby harm if she did not take the appropriate precautions, Myrtle. No idea why someone can't babysit..?

Myrtlesdoll Fri 15-Mar-13 09:40:42

Sorry my previous post posted before i finished!!

It is very narrow minded to say that you cant take baby to the concert and its rude saying @angeltattoo is being selfish.

Our culture is so up the left that it makes people think they have to separate their lives into different boxes and never let those areas cross paths. Why shouldnt she go to a concert with HER baby! So many cultures incorperate their children into every ares of their lives....they wear them 24/7 sleep with them and the children grow up with a sense of family and belonging - so what if baby cries.....if people were more used to having babies and family around them this wouldnt be an issue.

I think its amazing to be able to make your children part of your life full time and not section them off into part time areas.

Do what you think is best @angeltattoo trust your instincts you are the mother in this situation not these negetive people!

Myrtlesdoll Fri 15-Mar-13 09:33:25

This is very narrowminded!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now