Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

for not actually knowing who the hell Morrisey is

(217 Posts)
threesocksfullofchocs Wed 12-Dec-12 22:13:05

??
I know he is supposed to be some singer. have seen him on tv.
thought he was shite.
why is he still famous?

Northernexile Fri 14-Dec-12 22:25:12

Trust me Morloth, he IS that well known!

AmberSocks Fri 14-Dec-12 22:08:07

my husband (older man) is a smiths fan Sabrina,its on constantly on and i actually walked down the aisle to There is a light that never goes out!

my new postman looks a bit like a young morrisey,i think he might actually trying to aswell.

Morloth Fri 14-Dec-12 22:07:22

LOL, I am sure that the UK Music scene thinks it is very important and influential.

When there are vast amounts of the planet who simply don't give a fuck.

He can't be that well known, I lived in London for 5 years, Asia for 6 and the US for 2 - have heard of many people but never thus twonk until now.

Well Morloth I have heard of Midnight Oil, not very familiar with Paul Kelly but though thousands of you tube viewers may agree with you that they are more musically relevant or whatever, millions of people view Smiths video's (I conclude after my very un-thorough internet research) grin So Moz et al is better known and therefore more influential worldwide but you know that.

Or do I need to paint a vulgar picture wink

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Uruguay Fri 14-Dec-12 21:59:29

Yay AmberSocks!

AmberSocks Fri 14-Dec-12 21:57:15

i love him and im 26.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Uruguay Fri 14-Dec-12 21:52:45

I suppose people would wonder what all the fuss is about if they didn't know him in the 80's, or have never heard of the Smiths.

Maybe you had to be there? When the charts were full of Stock-Aitken-Waterman stuff, then Morrissey would come on TOTP holding a bunch of gladioli - was just such an antidote, he was just different.

Pic of Morrissey looking lovely and young

apostrophethesnowman Fri 14-Dec-12 21:20:43

I've never heard of The Smiths or Morrisey either. I'm fifty years old.

I guess I must have lived a very sheltered life. shock

Morloth Fri 14-Dec-12 21:16:47

Now Paul Kelly and Dave Faulkner I know.

What about Peter Garrett you lot?

As I said upthread Morrisey knowing is obviously a UK thing.

Meggymoodle Fri 14-Dec-12 20:50:55

I'm amazed you've never heard of him. I know nothing about anything remotely connected with popular culture and even I've heard of him. DH loves The Smiths, they make me want to end life quickly, or at least wrench the stereo out at the plug. (There we are you see, not even an Ipod)

redlac Fri 14-Dec-12 20:41:54

My nn used to be a homage to Moz but I name changed - must go back to something suitably Mozzish again

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Fri 14-Dec-12 20:18:35

JenaiMathis, I had a Saturday job working on the record counter of a local store - if the singles were delivered late on Saturday afternoon I was able to buy mine early.
I also used to get into trouble for playing The Smiths constantly - the approved playlist included things like Kylie, Whitney Houston and Rick Astley. If I could I would ignore it and just play Smiths LPs

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Fri 14-Dec-12 20:17:38

I'm surprised you haven't heard of him / The Smiths.
Soundtrack to my teenage years and still played over and over.

merrymouse Fri 14-Dec-12 20:05:24

No OP, YANBU. Can remember lots of angsty 5th years with 'smiths' written on their army surplus bags,but only the odd line of their music and certainly wouldn't choose to listen to it now.

As influential as Bowie? Pfshhnghhrr. I think most people would struggle to name 3 Smiths songs (assuming they were a teenager in the 80's).

JenaiMathis Fri 14-Dec-12 19:54:44

noddy envy

JenaiMathis Fri 14-Dec-12 19:53:58

I just loved bringing a new record home and checking the scrawl on the bit of vinyl between the grooves and the label. Is there an actual name for those wee messages?

I used to bunk off school to buy the singles on the day they came out (Mondays?). Saved up my dinner money to do so. <wistful>

noddyholder Fri 14-Dec-12 19:50:11

Jonny marr came into the restaurant I worked in nearly every day for a vegi breakfast in the late 80s

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Fri 14-Dec-12 19:42:49

They provided the perfect soundtrack for the angst-ridden teenage years.

DublinMammy Fri 14-Dec-12 19:21:01

Adore the Smiths, hate it when Morrissey opens his mouth and something twattish comes out.... Is it possible that unless you heard them first at the "right" time in your life (young, teenager, struggling a bit in some way), you just never "get" them?

For what it's worth, here's my favourite.

HairyGrotter Fri 14-Dec-12 19:16:05

Waa I missed The Smiths 'love-in' earlier, but I'll throw my contribution in!

Lovely

ChristmasElf, it was about 20 years before I found out it was "pantry boy" in the song, not "country boy" (along with various other misheard Smiths lyrics). The internet makes life so much clearer. Maybe.

JenaiMathis Fri 14-Dec-12 18:55:35

There are a LOT of us on MN. We ought to have a meet-up of our own. An MN Smiths convention grin

aJumpedUpChristmasElf Fri 14-Dec-12 18:42:07

How did I miss this thread (am usually PantryBoy but am in Christmas disguise)

My love of The Smiths is equal only to DHs capacity to ridicule them grin

I too always notice Smiths inspired names

JenaiMathis Fri 14-Dec-12 18:28:04

Indeed Oxford. It's my usual name (I'm currently sporting the Christmas version) grin

OxfordBags Fri 14-Dec-12 18:20:58

Morrissey's twattishnessis as great as his music. The Smiths are one of the most important and influential bands in late 20C music. You'll not find a critic or serious music fan who would argue differently, even if his music is not to their personal taste. Am truly amazed people haven't heard of him.

They summed up an era, gave focus to a generation when things were really shit under Thatcher for ordinary people. For fans, their music transports you back to your youth, a time when everything was so bleak and yet so intense and unhappily wonderful all at once. They sum up the frustration, the loneliness, the paradoxically egotistical self-loathing, the grubbiness, the feelings of being limited and wanting to break out of your crappy little hometown you felt as a teen or young person. At his solo concerts now, grown men with high-powered careers storm the stage to grab him, kiss his hand, sobbing deliriously as they have to be pulled off by security. I mean, that's daft, but it's an example of how important he is, culturally. For many fans, The Smiths are a form of religion.

How anyone could her the lyrics of This Charming Man, for example, and not be moved, is beyond me (a huge fan. Although not the OTT kind!).

BTW, Johnny Marr is how you say "I'm fed up" phonetically in French, trivia fans!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now