Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

A little tip for keeping warm from someone who is very 'nesh' (and a bit poor)

(111 Posts)
jjazz Wed 12-Dec-12 21:31:49

Go to an area of town with lots of charity shops- not difficult so far. Hunt out the nicest cashmere jumper you can find. It has to be 100% cashmere and roomy enough for a couple of layers underneath. This is also not difficult as they were very popular a couple of years ago and stupid rich people are now bored of them after a couple of wears and find them far too hot in their super toasty houses! I got one for £5.95 last week (which is the most I have ever spent on one item in a charity shop.) Hand wash it & dry flat (this is the not so good bit...waiting for it to dry aint fun either) wear with a couple of layers (i.e. vest and long sleeved skinny rib/polo neck type thingy) under. You will not ever be cold again. xxx

PepeLePew Sat 15-Dec-12 18:12:00

Wristwarmers and scarves make a massive difference in the house. Lots of cheap fleece blankets for snuggling under. Slippers at all times. The children have wheat filled toys which go in the microwave, I have a hot water bottle. My house is currently warm for the first time this winter because I have had the heating on during the day for the last three days. Usually I make everyone suffer...

hefner Sat 15-Dec-12 17:41:52

laptopdancer I wear a couple of pairs of wool socks, and I keep socks on the radiator so that they are warm when I first put them on. I've also bought these sheepskin insoles to put in my slippers and they are amazing, my feet actually feel warm for once.

StephaniePowers Sat 15-Dec-12 13:43:08

I am always cold. I must have done something bad with fire in a past life.
Leggings on under trousers from October to March. Long socks, tuck leggings in.
Long tops, don't let your wrists get cold. Wristwarmers really do work. Tuck in layers.
(Nobody ever told me this or gave me the clothing to do this when I was a child, so I froze all winter in Scotland and was called wimpy and pathetic. You'd think a vest and long johns would at least be on their radar but apparently I was the first person to feel cold in a house with little heating, single glazing and half the windows open)
Keep your neck warm. Wear a cowl in the house.
Keep big blankets or a nicely-covered duvet on the back of the sofa for winter evenings.
Hot water bottle at night.
Find non-caffeinated/non-sugar drinks that you love so you can drink lots of heat in during the day and not get jumpy. Insulated mugs.

SayMama Sat 15-Dec-12 13:07:40

Just bumping for anyone who hasn't seen this yet, their are some great tips to be had!

I went to Asda today and got some fleece blankets for the girl's beds. They were £5 each and big enough to go on DD2's cot and DD1's toddler bed which I thought was pretty good!

I also went in search of a onesie after hearing how warm they are. They didn't have any left but they did have these great big fleece long sleeved nightie things! I got one for £10 and it slips easily over my clothes to wear during the day instead of putting the heating on. It looks absolutely tragic but I comfort myself with at least I can have a wee a bit easier than in a onsie!

LittleMissKitschmas Fri 14-Dec-12 20:38:20

I just bought a proper pair of granny slippers, with a fleecy lining and a rubber sole - I look tragic but I'm enjoying warm feet for a change. All for £3 from Primark.

Unitedwestand Thu 13-Dec-12 22:34:23

Think you put them in boiling water and they go back to normal for next time.

SledYuleCated Thu 13-Dec-12 22:22:32

I am cold cold cold tonight. How long is this cold snap supposed to last?

cocolepew Thu 13-Dec-12 16:52:43

B&M Bargains and Home Bargains both sell draught excluders.

As well as the fleece lined tights, Primark also do 'boot' tights, they have socks attached to them.

Jinglegirl Thu 13-Dec-12 16:41:34

Laptop,same here-I cant understand how anyone finds cashmere warmhmm.I am also with you on the cold feet ishoo.I have just put on a pair of fake uggs from Primark over my 2 pairs of woolly socks and I must say its making a big difference.Its the first time all week my toes feel toastysmile.

GrumpyOldWomanToo Thu 13-Dec-12 16:12:13

boomting, are you ice-fishing?

garlicbaubles Thu 13-Dec-12 15:59:34

Marking chilly place thanks

kiwigirl42 Thu 13-Dec-12 15:24:07

I wear 100% pure wool cream sea boot socks which I buy off ebay (to much hilarity from inlaws hmm. I have huge feet and very long legs so get very cold all year round. I have 2 pairs - wear them in these cheap, warm slipper boots I got from Amazon during the day and in bed until I'm just about to go to sleep. They wash fine in the washing machine too. I'm in luffs with my socks sad

Lemonylemon Thu 13-Dec-12 15:17:28

Another tip is to put sheets of newspaper between your blankets. It's a really, really good insulator. Also, if a fleece blanket to line your curtains.

Cold feet - need to be warm before you put your socks on - they should hold the heat better then.

I'm wearing two pairs of thick socks, boots, leggings, jeans, three tops, cut off wooly gloves, a scarf and a wool coat and i'm still freezing.

There is no hope for me sad

spooktrain Thu 13-Dec-12 15:11:51

are you an eskimo boomting? very intrigued by your sport

boomting Thu 13-Dec-12 15:07:37

I am involved in a sport that involves lying immobile, for 2+ hours at a time, millimetres away from water in sub-zero temperatures. The outfit comprises
- thermal layer from Uniqlo (bought cheap off eBay)
- tee
- 2 thin jumpers
- 4 hoodies
- waterproof jacket
- thick leggings
- joggers
- waterproof trousers
- ski socks
- walking boots
- woolly gloves
- leather gloves
... and a bobble hat.

Not to mention the thermos waiting for me at the end. One way and another, there's not much need to be cold, ever. Although admittedly this get up does make me look somewhat overweight...

laptopdancer Thu 13-Dec-12 14:59:09

Any tips for cold feet? I do wear a couple of pairs of thermal socks but my feet are still painfully cold sad

laptopdancer Thu 13-Dec-12 14:59:02

Any tips for cold feet? I do wear a couple of pairs of thermal socks but my feet are still painfully cold sad

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Thu 13-Dec-12 14:49:39

Oh another office tip - I wear a pashmina as a scarf...and if I get too cold keep it on. Seems more acceptable than a woolly scarf or big woolly jumper at work!

HappyTurquoise Thu 13-Dec-12 14:44:30

I can't wear wool. After a while the fibres irritate me so much I feel like ripping off my skin and I need a shower. sad If I try to tolerate it, and ignore the irritation, after a few days I get a rash.

I wear thermal vests, and fleecy jumpers (and walking socks) to keep warm.

laptopdancer Thu 13-Dec-12 14:36:26

I must be extra nesh then as cashmere is like wearing a thin t shirt to me hmm

MustStopOutingSelf Thu 13-Dec-12 14:21:37

My friend told me Primark are selling fleece lined tights, says they are the bee's kness!

ooooh lovely, great ideas -- thanks!! smile

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Thu 13-Dec-12 13:24:20

dreaming

newpaper
plastic bags
wadding from old cushions/pillows
any scraps of fabric that wont do for anything else
if you have any polystyrene peanuts or bubble wrap
old socks/tights/dressing gown/pjs
filling of a duvet that you wont use again.

i'm sure if you had a good look around the house you'd find loads you can use.

ouryve Thu 13-Dec-12 12:13:33

mummytomog DS2 is 6, with ASD and won't keep gloves on - I dress him in a coat that's too big for him. It looks a bit silly, but it at least means that his hands aren't totally uncovered.

One thing I love when it's chilly is a wool shawl. I have a lovely thick merino silk one that's perfect for keeping the draughts off my poor arthritic neck when I'm sat around the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now