Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this should be replaced.

(24 Posts)
diddl Germany Tue 11-Dec-12 08:52:12

Well if he just bought a tablet-wtf does he want a Christmas present for as well??

I´d be happy enough to have the camera as a Christmas present.

You both sound a bit childish tbh-"he´s getting a Christmas present so I want one too!"

brandysoakedbitch Tue 11-Dec-12 08:50:22

Are you 12? Jesus, get a bloody grip.

fuzzpig Tue 11-Dec-12 08:49:15

I am having thread déjà vu too, GPND!

Hyperballad Tue 11-Dec-12 08:47:25

I guess this depends on how things are usually done, if this happened to me and my DP said he would buy another ins for Christmas, I would take it that that's just the perfect time to replace it (rather than me having to wait longer for it) and I'd also know that I'd receive some other gifts too.

You sound a bit like a stroppy teenager to me OP!

Isnt this the second thread you have Started on this OP?

olddogs Tue 11-Dec-12 08:30:42

we dont do spontaneous gifts here either and it saddens me. MIL gives DD the argos catalog and gets her to pick sad. in her defence she is house bound

lloyds011 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:39:26

That the way his family do it sleds. It drives me mad when I get phone calls from MIL asking for present ideas. This year it was in the middle of November. DH won't even buy me spontanous stuff even after 14 years marriage.
I woudn't want to spend that much money as there isn't really anything I need that expensive. Although having seen the tablet and the way dh hogs it I may have to buy a cheaper one and the camera. (would still be alot less)

If it was broken in February would you get it replaced or wait and get one for xmas?

YANBU! Just because its december doesnt mean it should automatically be a present.

lloyds011 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:33:52

Ultimately the purchase of the tablet was because the home pc is getting slow and unreliable so yes I do think I should replace camera and still do Christmas. Although I agree Christmas is now more about dc and I do have arrangements with siblings where we do not exchange presents.

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Mon 10-Dec-12 09:32:04

You should both have equal money to spend on yourselves.

He just bought a tablet, you say? Do you have a tablet's worth of money to spend as you please?

SledsImOn Mon 10-Dec-12 09:31:56

Okay. So it's about double standards. In that case yanbu at all. Ask him how he would feel and go from there.

I do kind of gulp at the idea of a grown up person with a Christmas list though.

He is being unreasonable UNLESS he takes the opportunity to spend twice as much and get you a much better camera so it is both a replacement and a present.

lloyds011 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:30:52

He definately expects presents. Draws up a list every year without fail.

Northernexile Mon 10-Dec-12 09:30:45

Definitely get yourself one then. Your DH was probably happy because it would have saved him having to actually think of something to get you for Christmas. That's how mine operates anyway! grin

SledsImOn Mon 10-Dec-12 09:30:16

What I mean is, is this an equality issue rather than a camera issue iyswim

Is he expecting more from you than he is willing to give

Or would he be happy to have a replacement as a Christmas present, if the situation were reversed?

SledsImOn Mon 10-Dec-12 09:28:50

I suppose yes in principle it should be as well as present, not instead of.

but tbh I don't want or expect Christmas presents now I'm an adult, it's more about the kids. So I'd not be kicking up a stink. just buying another camera.

I imagine your H would buy himself another computer if she broke that - so no difference. Or does he not really expect presents either?

I kind of tend to buy myself the things I need or want, regardless of time of year.

Jins Mon 10-Dec-12 09:26:36

I suppose it depends how important a Christmas present is to you.

I wouldn't be too bothered by this

lloyds011 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:23:05

I am a SAHM so all money is joint money. DD is 6 so could possible contribute some but it was an accident.
And yes I could just go out and buy a new one as I do have full access to joint funds and that is what i will probably do.
It just seemed cheeky of dh to suggest I foregoe a Christmas present because dd broke my birthday present.

Northernexile Mon 10-Dec-12 08:49:21

Erm, why should your DH replace it? Replace it yourself, or use joint money, then Christmas need not come into it. Your OP sounds a bit demanding and graspy to be honest!

RiddoTheRedNosedReindeer Mon 10-Dec-12 07:27:48

YANBU

sashh Mon 10-Dec-12 07:26:56

Dd should be replacing it (Don't know how old dd is, if she is 6 months then maybe that's a big ask).

olddogs Mon 10-Dec-12 07:24:30

he broke your camera he needs to replace it...
how does christmas come into this at all?

Unless he broke it on purpose so that he would have something to buy you cos he cant think of anything else and up until it was broken you didnt need a camera?

EuphemiaInExcelsis Mon 10-Dec-12 07:20:33

YANBU! That would be the shittiest Christmas present ever.

lloyds011 Mon 10-Dec-12 06:43:26

Dd has just broken my camera. It was a birthday present. Dh said he will get a new one for xmas. Aibu to say no i want it replaced it addition to xmas gift. We do have another camera but i hate using it as it is so big. Money not an issue as he has just brought a new tablet for himself. Aibu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now