About cleaner and sickness bug..

(54 Posts)
tholeon Sun 09-Dec-12 19:07:54

We have a virulent sickness bug in our house, first person had it this time last week and last person has it at the moment. I have obviously told our cleaner about it and given her the option of not coming, assuming she won't want to risk the germs. What is the correct thing to do about paying her ? I have offered her half the money for staying away, but honestly don't know if this is fair. What's the verdict? She has been with us a few months and is good.

Sirzy Mon 10-Dec-12 09:13:12

Not wanting to be in a house full of people with a sickness bug isn't paranoid, it's sensible!

flow4 Mon 10-Dec-12 09:16:03

diddle, if this was your cleaner, you'd have to agree that she would come, but wouldn't be expected to clean the bathroom(s), toilet(s), kitchen, any bedroom that had had a sick person in it within 48 hours, and any other room where someone had been sick within 48 hours. That probably wouldn't leave much of your house!

And she might still get ill, because door handles and other surfaces also present an infection risk... And then you wouldn't get your house cleaned next week either... And the cleaner and her family might be ill over Christmas... And she would be rightly disgruntled or understandably angry, and you might soon lose a good cleaner...

Altogether, it's not reasonable to expect her to come, and it's just not worth the risk. The OP has done the right and sensible thing.

tholeon Mon 10-Dec-12 10:07:37

Well we only have one recovering adult now and they are confined to a room, but I still wouldn't want to come if I was her. Don't think I would expect to be paid though, and she clearly doesn't either. But that doesn't mean I guess that the right moral thing is not to pay her, which is why I asked the question here. Thank you in particular for views of those who are/ were cleaners and those who employ them.
Better get on with the cleaning..

valiumredhead Mon 10-Dec-12 10:09:25

I would expect to be paid -or at least have the opportunity to make my hours up the following week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now