Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

About cleaner and sickness bug..

(54 Posts)
tholeon Sun 09-Dec-12 19:07:54

We have a virulent sickness bug in our house, first person had it this time last week and last person has it at the moment. I have obviously told our cleaner about it and given her the option of not coming, assuming she won't want to risk the germs. What is the correct thing to do about paying her ? I have offered her half the money for staying away, but honestly don't know if this is fair. What's the verdict? She has been with us a few months and is good.

lola88 Sun 09-Dec-12 19:10:53

could you offer her extra hours next week to make up for it? get some extra jobs done? I know when i was a cleaner someone cancelling would hit me hard.

I think you should pay the full amount, it's not her fault.

lovethesun1 Sun 09-Dec-12 19:13:13

I agree with Sauvignon.

OWe3WiseKneeHairsOfOrientAre Sun 09-Dec-12 19:15:30

If our cleaner doesn't come because we have asked her not to, I pay her in full.
If she doesn't come because she is ill or on holiday, I don't pay her.
This seems fair to me. It isn't her fault she can't come because you are unwell.

You need to pay her in full.

trueblood1fan Sun 09-Dec-12 19:19:16

you should pay in her full as its not her fault - presume you would expect to be paid if your employer asked you not to come in?!

catgirl1976geesealaying Sun 09-Dec-12 19:20:10

You should pay her in full

I always do if I cancel for any reason

It's not her fault she can't come

sockmuppet Sun 09-Dec-12 19:20:16

you should pay her in full without a doubt.

WelshMaenad Sun 09-Dec-12 19:23:40

She isn't being told to stay away, she's being given the option. Half pay acceptable in those circumstances, but agree about offering extra hours next week to help her make up her money.

tholeon Sun 09-Dec-12 19:24:36

Well it is her decision not to come, I would be happy if she did but naturally she doesn't want to risk the bug and of course it would be very wrong of me not to warn her...

It's 2 weeks before Christmas! shock I'm presuming she's not cleaning for a hobby?
She has been with us a few months and is good says it all to me, do you want to keep her?

Sirzy Sun 09-Dec-12 19:31:14

It was her decision not to come and risk catching a bug a few weeks before christmas.

You must pay her.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Sun 09-Dec-12 19:32:11

Of course she hasn't got the option, going to work and getting ill meaning you won't be able to work while you and then your dc get it after is not an option.

What a stingy cow you are.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Sun 09-Dec-12 19:32:35

Meaning she and then her dc get it*

Softlysoftly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:33:33

Pay her! It's not really a choice:

"Be skint for Christmas or be sick for Christmas, oh and a shitty new year".

Pay her

MamaChocoholic Sun 09-Dec-12 19:33:55

It's her choice, yes, but what a choice! Lose half your wages or knowingly expose yourself to a virulent sickness bug.

Pay her in full.

I'd pay her in full. No question.

How very 'unseasonable' hmm

somuchslimmernow Sun 09-Dec-12 19:35:44

There is sickness in your house, not her fault even if you have given her the option not to work. You should pay her.

HildaOgden Sun 09-Dec-12 19:37:21

Pay her in full,as a goodwill gesture if nothing else.How much money are you talking about anyway?She's good,you want to keep her,it will be worth it.

tholeon Sun 09-Dec-12 19:38:32

Ok will pay her in full for two weeks! Calling me a cow a bit harsh, was genuinely not sure what right thing to do was, have asked and you've all told me!

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 09-Dec-12 19:39:40

You should pay her in full

honeytea Sun 09-Dec-12 19:40:00

Pay her, how would you feel if she had a sickness bug and phoned you and said "I am sick and you will probably catch it if I come in, I am happy to stay away if you pay me half"

Softlysoftly Sun 09-Dec-12 19:40:13

Good, now about Christmas bonuses......

<<outs self as ops cleaner>> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now