To have filmed my ds1s preschool nativity play even though

(283 Posts)
Nooneelseisallowedafergus Sat 08-Dec-12 13:58:40

We were expressly told no filming.

I did zoom in on just him ( as much as was possible ) and only filmed a few short clips, not the whole event.

I felt I would have really regretted not having captured the memory, and my son loves watching himself on film, and has already enjoyed watching the clips and singing along to the songs.

And I just don't see how a video of fully clothed children would be satisfying viewing for a peadophile. With this vein of thought surely we should start making our children wear burkas.

MerylStrop Sat 08-Dec-12 14:29:37

YABU, selfish and a bit thick to boot

Willabywallaby Sat 08-Dec-12 14:29:49

YABU, but then some Mums seem to think rules don't apply to them.

bedmonster Sat 08-Dec-12 14:30:43

AIBU to have filmed my ds1s preschool nativity play even though we were expressly told no filming?

Did you really need to ask the question?

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:32:15

Doris << Bangs head >>

The separate performances are done anyway for the rest of the school.

It's not unusual for the odd parent who can't get time off work to see that performance (with permission) so no differences are necessarily highlighted.

As I say, they're a very accommodating school.

Witchety Sat 08-Dec-12 14:32:53

Is he your pfb?

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:33:12

Ooops iPod fail!!

It was carnage at the school office when the rule came out, which was the day before the performances. The school then had a group photograph taken to 'compensate' - when the parent who complained was told that this was happening and the school would, of course, leave their child out of the public photo the parent withdrew the complaint and all children were included. It was a shame because this happened after all of the performances to parents.

They do bring the children back into the hall after the performance in costume so parents can take individual photos on the stage, which is nice and works well.

ISeeThreadPeople Sat 08-Dec-12 14:33:39

Of course you're not being unreasonble. You're clearly more important than rules put into place to protect vulnerable children. They should have given you festive treats and a plush throne to enjoy whilst you were filming. You know, in deference to your special status.

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Sat 08-Dec-12 14:33:44

Let's hope Fergus (is his name?) isn't at the same pre-school that my half-sister's child attends.....the child she had taken away from her because she chose her violent child-molesting 19 yr old toyboy over her children. Because those children aren't allowed to be filmed you see...because neither she, or her boyfriend are allowed anywhere near them.

Get it yet?

Didn't think so. You moron. <so delete me>

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:35:18

Where is the OP now, I wonder?

SugaricePlumFairy Sat 08-Dec-12 14:36:26

I wonder whether OP will come back to defend herself or just class us as a bunch of sour, mean spirited vipers who just couldn't possibly understand how she feels!

grin

atacareercrossroads Sat 08-Dec-12 14:38:11

Yanbu as long as you arent planning on splashing it all over fb/showing boring strangers with it etc. I've taken the odd pic of ds at soft play centres when it says not to, I make sure no other kids are in the shot (not really for cp reasons either as I don't share them, just don't want pics of other peoples snotty nosed kids, just my own!)

I'm hoping that this is a reverse AIBU, no one could be that stupid as to seek validation for such a ridiculous question. hmm

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:39:29

Mince pie anyone? grin

I think the donkey's just shit on the floor...Sugarice be a love would you?

SugaricePlumFairy Sat 08-Dec-12 14:41:56

Worra , no problem, It'll do the winter roses the world of good! grin

Inertia Sat 08-Dec-12 14:43:34

OP, you missed out "PC gone mad" from your original windup post.

If you're genuine, then of course you are unreasonable. It's not about paedophiles- it's about protecting vulnerable children from being identified by people who are not allowed to have contact, or know their location.

Please don't post your video online. It would be totally unreasonable for you to compromise the safety of other children . And if the head has expressly said no filming , there's a strong possibility that your child's school does include children from whom child protection is an issue. But hey, your wishes come first.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:44:51

I'm a Quality Street woman myself grin

Or at least I am now....

AllSnowballsAndNoKnickers Sat 08-Dec-12 14:45:01

I'm not sure donkeys are allowed to shit the floor. Did you change the rules so they can worra? Typical.

grin

SilveryMoon Sat 08-Dec-12 14:46:25

I agree that YABU. A friend of mine fosters very young children and many of the children she has had have been moved far away from home, had their names changed all because they are at such risk from family.
I think it is very naive and irresponsible for you to think the only reason people can't be filmed or photographed is because of the possibilities of peadophiles.

WorraLorraTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 14:47:59

Yes and I hid the sign that says "CAUTION - DONKEY SHIT" grin

<< Living life on the edge >>

OP will come back when she manages to make up a reason for this being acceptable and will then drip feed us info until we say she is reasonable.

I'll help you OP, do you have the same condition as Drew Barrymore in 50 first dates where you wake up every day and can't remember anything about your life? You then need to watch a video every morning to 'catch up' with your life and your DS in the play is an important part of that?

(You are so very welcome)

ilovesooty Sat 08-Dec-12 14:52:23

You were expressly told no filming

I don't think you should have filmed it, for all the reasons outlined above.

WeAreSix Sat 08-Dec-12 14:52:55

Mince pie please. And a nice hot brew

ISeeThreadPeople Sat 08-Dec-12 14:53:24

She'll also reliably inform us that there are no vulnerable dc in their school. Because usually it's branded on their foreheads isn't it?

LaurieBlueBell Sat 08-Dec-12 14:53:41

I think it's sometimes difficult for parents to understand why schools have these rules.
As the mother of a adopted child I have to say of course YABVU and selfish.

As a foster carer of I would go ballistic if ant school tried to say my dc couldn't take part (as in worras example). Looked after children have enough to cope with without schools discriminating against them.

pourmeanotherglass Sat 08-Dec-12 14:54:49

surely the child protection worries only apply if you share the images on facebook.

If they are purely for you and you children to view, then there isn't any risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now