To feel sorry for the Australian DJs?

(922 Posts)
andapartridgeinaRowantree Sat 08-Dec-12 00:38:49

Obviously more sorry for the nurse's family. I wonder how long she was having suicidal thoughts for? I can't think this could have been the only cause,

But these pranks have been going on for such a long time and those DJs could not have predicted such a result and are going to have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

It's such a tragedy and I feel very sad for all concerned.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Sat 08-Dec-12 08:20:01

No. I don't feel sorry for them.

This is the same station (don't know if it's the same people) who tricked a 14 year old child into telling them about her rape live on air. And then asked her "is that the only experience you've had?"

Sandilands once called a woman a foul name and told her something along the lines of 'shut your mouth or I'll hunt you down.'

That station needs dealing with.

While I don't think that calling the hospital pretending to be the queen was a terrible evil thing to do or anything, it had consequences that they couldn't have predicted and it should tell them something! They should understand that they don't know how someone is going to feel or react to their 'jokes'. (for want of a better word)

Brycie Sat 08-Dec-12 08:21:16

"Brycie - that's really compassionate. hmm"

do you think you;re being compassionate and the rest of us are really mean?

yes it's a waste of time giving sympathy for these people any time, one second more, than people worse off

they'll be fine

RubyGates Sat 08-Dec-12 08:25:34

None at all.
Prank programmes make my toes curl. I hate the thought that someone else should be made the deliberate butt of a joke.
There is always the chance that it will go horribly wrong, it's only a matter of time before something like this happens.
They made their livings feeding on the lack of empathy displayed by their listeners and the vulnerability of their victims.

Levantine Sat 08-Dec-12 08:27:20

No sympathy at all here. Cruel idiots.

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Sat 08-Dec-12 08:32:27

YABU

At best it was a stupid prank that I fail to find any humour in whatsoever. At worst it was a cruel hoax that for all they knew could have jeopardised the job of the person who took the call. No sympathy at all from me.

I don't think you can lay the poor lady's suicide at their feet though. If anything, we should be asking questions about the cruel jibes from the British press.

wannaBe Sat 08-Dec-12 08:43:50

all this wailing and nashing of teeth is completely disproportionate.

yes the dj's were stupid to do the prank but tbh it was so blatantly a prank that no-one should have fallen for it.

Before this happened, the majority view was how could anyone have been so stupid to have fallen for that, and that view doesn't suddenly become less so iyswim.

And of course a normally stable woman wouldn't kill herself over this alone, anyone who genuinely believes that is naive. And yes, sometimes people appear to commit suicide with no previous rhyme or reason, but that's just the thing with suicide, people are so determined to succeed that often their reasons are entirely hidden from the world.

But the implication on other threads has been that anyone can just snap and commit suicide at any time, which is complete bollocks. Of course there were underlying issues. but far easier to bay for blood and whip up a frenzy over someone who none of us even knew ey. hmm

HermioneE Sat 08-Dec-12 08:45:28

It really wasn't live?!?!

I thought their 'defence' was that they didn't think they would get put through when they rang. Which tbh I had a bit of sympathy with, if all they'd planned was to get hung up on and then they got carried away live on air.

But if it wasn't live, what kind of shit excuse is that?

gazzalw Sat 08-Dec-12 08:49:35

It all comes back to consequences....even the most innocent of pranks (and this wasn't) can have very negative results....

They will have to live the rest of their lives with the consequences of this foolish idiocy... I am sure they had not a clue that a woman's suicide would be the outcome (and yes she must have already been depressed to have been 'tipped over the edge' by this) but it will weigh heavily with them for life sad.

Smellslikecatspee Sat 08-Dec-12 08:56:00

Not in the least.

Any prank/ practical joke requires a butt, a victim. And unless you've been in that situation you can't realise how crap it can feel.

It's like when people talk about being bullied at work, you'll always have someone saying 'oh for Gods sake, you shouldn't be so sensitive'. This to my mind is a form of bullying.

As for those saying she shouldn't have fallen for it, it was 5;30 am, she was coming to the end of a night shift. Few of us are at our best then and as an ex- nurse who loved night shifts my brain at that time would have been full of what I needed to do before the end of shift, meds, documentation, obs etc. not thinking hmmmmm is this the Queen or is this a pair of dipshit DJs

kim147 Sat 08-Dec-12 08:57:18

Apparently in Australia, you need consent to broadcast such stuff. It was not live, it had been checked by lawyers.

It's pretty obvious they did not give a shit about the real consequences for real people.

exoticfruits Sat 08-Dec-12 08:57:26

Jeremy Beadle used to have to get permission from his prank victims before he showed them on TV. The radio station didn't.

This is the big difference. If someone is having a 'joke' on an innocent person and going to make it public they should explain first and ask permission.

EIizaDay Sat 08-Dec-12 08:57:40

I think the hospital must take some blame for this dreadful incident in that they obviously didn't train staff enough with regards privacy issues.

We all know how difficult it is to get info from a hospital about a loved one and this particular hospital should have heightened their security and privacy issues when a VIP is a patient. The hospital management have a lot to answer for IMO.

It was a childish prank but I'm sure the DJs didn't actually think they had much chance of getting through hospital security. They shouldn't have and that is the issue.

exoticfruits Sat 08-Dec-12 08:59:15

It was 5.30 in the morning! Taken by a nurse who only took it because no one was there!

exoticfruits Sat 08-Dec-12 09:00:06

And a tired nurse. We don't all think-even if trained-under those circumstances.

exoticfruits Sat 08-Dec-12 09:01:18

People should think first and then not blame the hospital for not wasting time training staff to handle hoax calls.

MerryKissMyArse Sat 08-Dec-12 09:02:55

I think what they did was stupid and I feel terribly bad for the poor nurse and her family, of course, but I do think there must be more behind her tragic death than just the prank call alone. Yes I do feel some sympathy for the DJs.

Anifrangapani Sat 08-Dec-12 09:03:58

The DJs and the rest of the people who re reported or retweeted or liked it held a person up to public ridicule for such a non story. In my world that is bullying. Bullying is nasty no matter the consequences.
I don't feel sorry for them. If they never forget their role in this it would be too soon.

Morloth Sat 08-Dec-12 09:04:34

Of course there is more to it from the nurse's point of view, of course there is.

The point is, this should never have been part of her problems.

soverylucky Sat 08-Dec-12 09:06:54

It was 5.30 in the morning when she took the call. She was probably very tired. As I understand it she was not British so there may be a language issue there - whilst the accent sounds silly to the rest of us listening she may not have realised so easily. She put the call through. She was only on the phone to the hoaxer for a very brief amount of time. Perhaps she thought when the call was put through to the other nurse that proper security questions would be asked before details were given over the phone? We just don't know.

I also feel that the press are partially to blame but it doesn't detract from the fact that they were trying to find out information about a pregnant woman who was ill. Kate knew when she married into that family that she would be hounded about her weight, dress sense, hair etc. (none of which I condone btw) but you would have thought that when you are ill in hospital you would be left in peace. I wouldn't be surprised from listening to the call that actually the dj's wanted to speak to Kate directly at 5.30 am! Playing pranks on friends when you know whether they will take it in good grace is one thing but on complete strangers is not on. It doesn't take a genius to work out that if they were put through there would be great chance that someone would lose their job and that the gutter press would have a field day.
I should imagine this woman feared for her job not to mention the fact that some people take duty very seriously indeed and feel honoured to serve the Royals. Who knows but I honestly think these two should resign. They should have gone after the incident with the teenage girl and the rape she admitted.

diddl Sat 08-Dec-12 09:07:44

Not terribly sorry tbh.

Although I can´t help thinking that if it hadn´t been these two, it would have been a national newspaper under the guise of exposing lack of security.

Can´t understand why staff just weren´t told-the Royals will not phone/security will deal with any calls re Kate.

soverylucky Sat 08-Dec-12 09:08:55

Also I think they knew they had a very good chance of getting through otherwise why bother with the prank. It would have been a very boring bit of broadcasting if they just had a dial tone and someone hanging up on them or whatever. They had the correct number for the hospital that they had gone to the touble of finding.

CabbageLeaves Sat 08-Dec-12 09:10:24

No sympathy whatsoever. They pranked and someone died. Maybe she had mental health issues, depression, other problems...but it certainly seems that this call was devastating to her. They made the call. They carry that guilt.

Along with the station, lawyers and viewers who delight in watching others misfortune. We've moved away from 'pranks' to nasty actions. Would you like to lose your job because of a mistake made whilst being scammed? They knew the consequence for staff if they played the clip.

CSIJanner Sat 08-Dec-12 09:13:03

Ex-producers have stated that those involved with the call must give permission for it to be aired. Something tells me that it wasn't here. I was a crap joke that wasn't funny to start with.

I don't feel sorry for them. They're twats who took advantage of a pregnant woman's situation. I feel sorry for the two children who lost their mother at Christmas and will never be able to enjoy this time of year again.

janey68 Sat 08-Dec-12 09:14:12

No, I don't feel sorry for them. Of course no one could predict that she would kill herself, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that she would feel publicly humiliated, shamed and possibly face disciplinary action. Weren't there even calls from some posters on here for her to be sacked .... Nice. hmm
I hope the DJs now know what it feels like to be publicly vilified, no doubt they will feel haunted and threatened now after their actions and they dint deserve a good nights sleep or a days work for a long time

hiddenhome Sat 08-Dec-12 09:18:00

What I think a great many people are missing is that not only would this nurse have been worrying about losing her job, but she would possibly have been worried in case it was referred to the NMC (nursing governing body) who can and do strike nurses off the nursing register for a whole range of things sad Her entire career could have potentially been on the line. We don't know that she was worried about this of course but it's possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now