Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

the nurse who took the hoax call has killed herself

(63 Posts)
catgirl1976geesealaying Fri 07-Dec-12 15:50:28

not aibu but sad

the poor woman

and the hoaxers must be feeling terrible

TryBreatheFly Sat 08-Dec-12 14:17:13

Yes, Monty I agree, I really do question why there is not much press attention on the failure of the hospital management.

This is where the buck stops IMO. The aussie journos are dimwit prats, no doubt, but there are plenty of those in the world - if you were a hospital with the highest profile patients but leave your phone line unmanned so a busy medical nurse has to pick it up in amongst her real duties - what kind of management does that hospital have?

Where were the protocols and procedures that should protect staff and patients? I find the hospital management very culpable here. I also wonder how much harranguing (sp?) Jacintha may have received unofficially even if she wasn't disciplined. Sounds like she was the bread winner too sad

maddening Sat 08-Dec-12 14:57:44

Why hadn't the hospital made moves to protect the nurses from the press ? What exactly did the hospital do to support her and what was their true treatment of her? As her employers they had a duty of care surely?

My mum is a nurse who has dealt with a similar situation with the press and an incident.

She is pretty damn sure the hospital would not have given their backing no matter what they say. It was an embarrassment to the hospital and they would have wanted a scape goat for that embarrassment.

She also said the nursing council hang you out to bloody dry, she would have been terrified that she would not only lose her job but be struck off.

Jinsei Sat 08-Dec-12 15:50:14

Is anyone else wondering how the other poor nurse is coping with all of this? sad I hope that she is getting the support that she needs.

I was thinking same Jensei sad

Owlfright Sat 08-Dec-12 15:58:39

I totally agree with maddening.

It's a sad fact that people play these type of pranks- the hospital should have robust procedures in place to deal with this type of thing, not leaving it to this busy nurse.

The hospital management clearly pride themselves on handling the treatment of high profile patients. This brings with it the risk of people attempting to glean information about such patients- they failed to protect their staff from these people.

FGS we've seen the press unashamedly access high profile people's mobile phones- surely making these types of hideous calls is the type if thing they could easily stoop to. The hospital should have been better prepared.......

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 08-Dec-12 16:13:01

Is that true these DJs have form for these "pranks" and tricked a 14yr old into revealing she was raped?!

I'm sorry, all blame lies with those arseholes who clearly don't think through their irresponsible actions.

Yes the hospital could have had protocols in place, but they wouldn't bloody need to if pricks like this weren't out for their 15mins of fame without thinking about the repercussions on the normal people they get unwillingly involved.

Owlfright Sat 08-Dec-12 16:19:40

You are right girl, but sadly there are a lot of people like these idiots. The hospital can't just rely on no one being stupid enough to do this type of thing- the possibility of it happening is sadly very real.

Girlwiththemousy

I posted this on another thread, the station has been taken off air several times, not these djs but the ones they were covering for.

in August 2009, Kyle Sandilands, a shock jock on 2Day FM, sparked a huge public backlash following a lie-detector stunt in which a 14-year-old girl revealed she had been raped.

Sandilands was subsequently dropped as a judge on Australian Idol and criticised by the then prime minister, Kevin Rudd, for his role in the episode.

The DJ also provoked fury in November last year, after he launched a verbal attack on a female journalist, Alison Stephenson, who had reported on the low ratings of a TV show he and O'Neil presented.

"Some fat slag on news.com.au has already branded it a disaster," he said. "You can tell by reading the article that she just hates us and has always hated us. What a fat, bitter thing you are. You're deputy editor of an online thing. You've got a nothing job anyway. You're a piece of shit. This low thing, Alison Stephenson, deputy editor of news.com.au online. You're supposed to be impartial, you little troll."

He added: "You're a bullshit artist, girl. You should be fired from your job. Your hair's very '90s. And your blouse. You haven't got that much titty to be having that low cut a blouse. Watch your mouth or I'll hunt you down."

His remarks led sponsors including the car company Holden to withdraw their sponsorship of the show.

In April this year, Sandilands was also criticised for referring to a Pakistani girl born with additional limbs as "spider baby" and implying her disability would give her an advantage in the Olympic games.

TryBreatheFly Sat 08-Dec-12 22:57:04

That's ... just devastatingly awful, whistling. How can these people continue to be employed? How can their families and friends be comfortable about being part of their lives?

Nevertheless, girl, although I agree with you that ideally these lowlifes should not be operating, the fact is, somewhere in the world, they always will be.

The royals know that, which is why they have their own protection in place. The nurse, a normal, decent person with a vital role to play in society, did not know this. And no-one was there to protect HER.

I feel very angry on her behalf. There's no point wishing low-media scum doesn't exist - it does. But the hospital management had a duty to protect staff and patients against this, being the long standing royal/sleb providers they are.

But no - one poor nurse felt all the agony and now the management are writing to the aussie radio station to complain - what's the bloody point of that? They should be writing to themselves to see where their duty of care to their staff went so disastrously wrong.

MissNJE Sun 09-Dec-12 00:25:12

I don't think it was suicide.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sun 09-Dec-12 01:13:02

yeah i know, just wish there weren't such awful people out there to make a quick buck at someone else's expense

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Mon 10-Dec-12 00:50:57

That is true NJE - she might have died of 'natural causes' I guess - heart attack or some such. However, they haven't updated, so I would assume she did take her own life sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now