AIBU to think you might consider prostitution if you are on the your your arse knees?

(91 Posts)
ElfBabies Thu 06-Dec-12 22:59:26

I have been skint properly skint and have thought about 'selling my body'

Lucky I have never got to that place, but if I ever do would I be wrong and dirty for doing so or sensible and clever for securing an income?

ElfBabies Thu 06-Dec-12 23:57:31

@ErikNorseman seriously do you believe that

prhaps my use of the word rape was inappropriate but it sure feels like that............nobody cares and they are taking advantage of those who have these

ElfBabies Fri 07-Dec-12 00:01:00

problems .

I don't usually like politics but when ever the Tories/Conservatives come in and start messing about with normal people , I get slightly annoyed

ErikNorseman Fri 07-Dec-12 00:02:22

Yes I believe that the benefits system ensures that everyone should be able to survive
Not much more than survive in some cases, but as survival would be the only reason why I would consider sex work, it means I should never have to.
I do have extensive knowledge of the benefits system, by the way.

ErikNorseman Fri 07-Dec-12 00:03:08

I don't disagree with your political sentiments, by the way

ErikNorseman Fri 07-Dec-12 00:03:34

Too many 'by the ways' <late>

Monty27 Fri 07-Dec-12 00:05:57

@Erik too many more than 'by the ways'

Have you nc'd lately. There's only a few of you on here.

Collaborate Fri 07-Dec-12 00:16:34

I thought our ancestors went to war to save us from fascism.

ElfBabies Fri 07-Dec-12 00:21:41

wasted sentiment Collabroate , beacecause many forget what ou fathers and grandfathers fought for

ElfBabies Fri 07-Dec-12 00:22:03

oops because

McChristmasPants2012 Fri 07-Dec-12 00:31:32

If that was the only option then yes I would.

ripsishere Fri 07-Dec-12 00:49:31

Me too, although my DH would probably get more business than me.
We lived in Bangkok for four years. IME, and bear in mind it was only as an onlooker, bar girls are not always being exploited.
It is not a lifestyle choice that I'd make, but I do know of three women who'd gone from a life on the game to a life being supported and pampered by middle aged men.
A number of university students (M+F) supplemented their income that way too.

I was offered work as a dominatrix. I didn't do it because I thought it would make me hate men. If DD needed food and I had no way of getting it I would do that. I wouldn't have sex for money. DD needs a mother. I've seen too many women lose their kids either because of SS involvement or hatred of their 'job'.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Fri 07-Dec-12 06:15:27

If it was really the only option. That or starving to death. Then yes. You do what you have to to survive.

But it would have to actually be the only option. no food bank, no hostel, no roof over my head, no benefits - and I would choose sitting in a shop doorway and begging before I would choose prostitution.

But if was the only way to remain alive - then yes.

Would anyone choose death rather than do it?

MightTinge Fri 07-Dec-12 06:51:50

I think the OP has had too much wine

HollyBerryBush Fri 07-Dec-12 06:55:48

For those who think they never could - you would do anything to ensure your childs life and well being. If your body is your only commity, you will use that.

Specifically the stories of the Jewess in concentration camps, used by Nazi guards, in return for a little bread to stop their children starving, springs to mind.

HollyBerryBush Fri 07-Dec-12 06:57:08

*commodity

bigbuttons Fri 07-Dec-12 06:58:02

YUP, i'ts has crossed my mind to. I saw a prog the other day about women who did phone sex. God, they earn alot. I would be shit at that otherwise I'd do it. I don't have an issue with it.

Couldn't use my body but have recently seriously considered being a dominatrix or phone sex worker I'm so skint.

ErikNorseman Fri 07-Dec-12 07:09:46

@monty27 - ?? No I haven't namechanged for about a year. What do you mean?

fluffygal Fri 07-Dec-12 07:17:25

big really? Do phone sex workers really earn a lot? There was a thread on here not long ago where a poster had done it but it didn't pay alot, webcam sex pays quite well though apparantly. My friend looked into phone sex lines but said the pay is very poor unless you set up your own phone line.

fluffygal Fri 07-Dec-12 07:17:50

big really? Do phone sex workers really earn a lot? There was a thread on here not long ago where a poster had done it but it didn't pay a lot, webcam sex pays quite well though apparantly. My friend looked into phone sex lines but said the pay is very poor unless you set up your own phone line.

bigbuttons Fri 07-Dec-12 07:23:35

There was this prog on it. A young woman was living in a very comfy flat, in a nice area, putting herself through college, had lovely clothes etc etc. She was doing the phone sex when she was out and about too though. In the supermarket!!!! She said she was comfortably off with it.
Another, older woman, said she made £400 in one evening with just one bloke. I suppose it depends how good you are at it and you build up a decent client basewink.
I guess phone sex is a good option for those people( like me) who ar a bit passed itwink.
I have no issue with exploiting a bloke's need to have a wank.

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Fri 07-Dec-12 07:40:03

I am on my knees, metaphorically speaking, impending homelessness and debts preventing me from accessing council housing. Tried to get a real job and the man refused to switch me to job seekers on the grounds that I am unfit to work (due to my health). This was after having to feed my family with the food bank and in the run up to Christmas and my DSs birthday.

I had no solutions except to wait for DLA to be awarded, and at appeal stage which can take up to a year to be seen at appeal court. I considered phone and text sex lines, but they would take too much time that I have to dedicate to our many issues, I cannot physically have sex, so I would be a rubbish prostitute.

I have to admit I looked at life insurance and whether it paid out for suicide, as it would be easy with the meds I am on. It was a brief period as my DD got awarded DLA, which takes off some pressure and gives me more time

Oh Rabbits, how dreadful for you, I'm glad the DLA has given you a bit of a breather financially. I hope 2013 is a better year for you.x

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sun 09-Dec-12 13:08:13

Rabbits, I am so, so sorry to read that.

I am up to my neck in debt too and am getting pretty desperate. Debt and despair do weird things to you and you end up thinking about and considering things you never would have thought possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now