to ask you what you think about comments about our baby's name?

(119 Posts)
whichformat Thu 06-Dec-12 21:58:41

We have chosen to name our baby daughter Ellen after several members of my family. I've mentioned the name to a few people who I'm not likely to see again as a way of testing reaction and had several of lukewarm comments - or no comment at all! They clearly didn't hate the name or ridicule it but just seemed to be very non-plussed. Another woman described it as 'run of the mill'.

We have had some positive comments but the fact that we may be giving our DD a 'run of the mill' name has started to bother me. I'm beginning to think it may not be special enough for our precious bundle. I know it's a name that doesn't have the immediate wow factor like Anastacia or something but I think it's pretty. AIBU to call my daughter Ellen?

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:08:49

All that matters is whether you and your other half like the name, I would not give a damn what others think. Sometimes the simplest of names become unique because they have been overlooked by others.Personally it's not my cup of tea,but she's not my baby, but you must stand by your choice and ignore the comments what suits one does not suit another.

lurcherlover Thu 06-Dec-12 22:08:49

It's lovely. And Nell is a gorgeous nickname smile

FriendlyLadybird Thu 06-Dec-12 22:11:56

Should names have a wow factor?

Like so many things, once you know someone it's the person that comes to mind first, and the name is simply associated with them.

FWIW I think Ellen is a pretty name and I'm sure that your daughter, when she's born, will endow it with a wow factor by virtue of her own spectacular loveliness.

Kendodd Thu 06-Dec-12 22:12:05

I think it's fine.

I wanted to tell people what names we were thinking about before the baby was born because I think you get a more honest answer. I did this incase I liked a name everyone else hated. I did take other peoples views on board because I wouldn't want to have a name nobody liked.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Thu 06-Dec-12 22:12:34

I love it.

And agree that Nell is a nice nn.

nanny2012nanny Thu 06-Dec-12 22:13:41

Hooray this just made me smile a lot, I'm an Ellen,and I'm the only one I know!

To my nieces I'm aunty eddie, and my charges La la ,as they couldnt pronounce my name and my best friends smellen!!! Love it wouldnt change it for the world!!!

magimedi88 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:16:24

WTF does your child's name need a 'wow factor'????

Ellen is a lovely name and I am sure she is a beautiful bundle of joy for you!

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Thu 06-Dec-12 22:18:21

A fine name indeed.

Who needs the "wow" factor ? Does that mean a name like "Mercedes" or summat ?

Give a name your baby can grow into. Congratulations !

Ellen is a lovely name , classy and timeless .
It's very rude for people to make unkind comments .
Just say you're thinking maybe .. Waynetta , or Chardonnay and see the comments then .

whois Thu 06-Dec-12 22:19:10

I actually really like it. It's classy.

usualsuspect3 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:20:28

It's rude to make comments about any name.

Even ones with a wow factor.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 06-Dec-12 22:20:34

It's a lovely classic name. I really like it.

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Thu 06-Dec-12 22:21:49

My niece is an Ellen. Why does a name have to be pizzazzy to be 'good enough' - I think it's beautiful. It certainly beats Anastasia.

I'm going to quote Sex and The City... I don't believe it. "Exactly - simple and classic." Her mates persuaded her to ditch the vintage satin suit for a Vivienne Westwood, and it all went tits up.

bootsycollins Thu 06-Dec-12 22:22:57

Lovely classic pretty name

twinklesparkles Thu 06-Dec-12 22:23:26

Its lovely smile

Also nice that its so personal to you smile

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Thu 06-Dec-12 22:23:42

Oh good grief... I only read the OP and I've repeated everything the last batch of posters have said. At least we are all in agreement.

Cahoootz Thu 06-Dec-12 22:24:17

I think it is a lovely name grin.

(There was a thread very recently where the poster was canvassing opinions on Ellen)

We choose classic names for our DC and had a few meh comments. confused

WorraLorraTurkey Thu 06-Dec-12 22:24:19

My favourite Aunt is called Ellen...though she's always been known as Nelly.

There's nothing wrong with run of the mill names

Not everyone has to be called Beyonce or Mooncup.

I live in Hartlepool, or "'Artlepool with an Aitch" grin and have friend named Ellen. Ever since we can remember, people have thought she was Helen, but pronounced in our accent, all Helens are Ellens.
That said, I like the name, and we almost called DD Ellen, but in the end went for Emily - her great grandmother's name, instead.
What matters is if you like it, and if it suits her. Don't worry about what other people say. It's elegant and classical and won't "date" your DD like some other names would (like Tracey and Sharon born in the late 60s/early 70s, and Kylie from the 90s etc)

purplecrayon Thu 06-Dec-12 22:26:40

Lovely name. Forget the nonsense people have been rude enough to give you. Says a lot about them. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the name, even if it isn't to these people's taste.

PizzaSlut Thu 06-Dec-12 22:26:55

Perfectly acceptable name, my DN has a deriviative of it.

My children are named common boring names without a wow factor. Really doesn't matter if you like it and it passes the dustman solicitor test.

blackeyedsusan Thu 06-Dec-12 22:27:30

I think it is a lovely, pretty name,

marriedinwhite Thu 06-Dec-12 22:29:09

I like it. Personally, I think names should be kept private until the baby arrives and it's a done deal. Except for closest friends of course. xx

icclebabyjesusheave Thu 06-Dec-12 22:29:27

Ellen is lovely and even better if it has meaning for you.

Stuff what anyone else says!

ReaderIMarriedHim Thu 06-Dec-12 22:30:17

My middle name is Ellen, and it's my niece's name too. I think it's lovely. And there's a lot to be said for giving a child a simple, classic name that they won't have to spend the rest of their life having to spell out for people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now