Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Senco should be helping my child.

(37 Posts)

She is on IEP.

No progress since testing last May.

Just scored worse in her strong subject (still behind) reading than May.

Maths and Literacy at level 1a/2c.

She is ten.

Consultant involved as dd has been reassessed from original dx years ago as she was only three, he has made provisional dx of dyspraxia and ASD.

And I STILL haven't met Senco at school and can't seem to pin her down to a meeting sad

StarOfLightMcKings3 Thu 06-Dec-12 21:56:13

She's not stupid, the SENCO is stupid and has let her down.

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 21:49:36

No she's not stupid. I've had the same this week at work with a student. We put too much emphasis on grades. There is so much more to a successful person than the NC levels. Find her strengths, whether it be listening, being kind and supportive and a good friend, enjoying stories, sport etc and encourage her in that.

Thanks I will, she's been in tears tonight again over the class tests sad she is sat saying she is stupid as kids have been told their NC levels.

I've emailed the tutor indigo thanks.

NannyEggn0gg Thu 06-Dec-12 21:27:02

The HT might seem to not be approachable, but frankly, you can't take any notice of that. She has a statutory duty to your daughter.
Ask for a meeting with CT, HT and Senco, take your DH or someone with you and get wheels in motion to obtain the education to which your daughter is entitled.

Thankyou Indigo

Sorry what mean is infants had a full time TA in class in infants who worked with DD a lot not that SHE personally had a FT TA.

McChristmasPants2012 Thu 06-Dec-12 20:24:42

i was advised against having a tutor as well, but when Senco turned down funding for 1-1 I went ahead any way.

backforgood She was in a school were she had full time ta support so although she found things difficult she managed ok and achieved her year 2 sats around lower end of level 2 as she got LOTS of support.
Because of this she has floated round middle groups the whole of infants.

When she moved from infant to Junior school she ended up in a mixed age group and with a TA in class only two half days a week and was getting hardly any support, she really struggled but still in middle groups.

We moved house unavoidable and since joining here she has fell to bottom of bottom group as there is no ta at all in class.

IndigoBelle Thu 06-Dec-12 20:18:22

Sarah Freck used to be a regular poster who always sounded like she was a good tutor.

But sounds like your DD needs a lot more than a tutor.

Def apply for a statement yourself. But also be more proactive about working out what her problems are, and what you, school or someone else could do to help her.

silverfrog Thu 06-Dec-12 20:12:40

they have a helpline too, if your LA start messing around.

SOS!SEN can also be very helpful.

one thing to be wary of - Parent Partnership - they are not always as impartial as they should be, and sometimes work hand in hand with the LA while apparently advising you

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 20:09:32

It really can be a complete toss up. But apply - if no luck, apply again etc.

And in the meantime, keep pestering for intervention.

BackforGood Thu 06-Dec-12 20:09:13

So what was happening in the previous school ? It would seem to me that support should have been in place over some years. Whereas this SENCo doesn't sound very on the ball, surely you should have been a lot further on through input from the SENCo at the last school ?

Thankyou

That website is very helpful silverfrog thanks.

silverfrog Thu 06-Dec-12 20:03:24

you are right, please don't judge.

but on the other hand, it can be standard practise for LAs to reject a certain percentage of statement applications regardless of level of covering letter.

I used the standard IPSEA template, not a word more, and got granted assessment on first application. others I know have written far more indepth application letters but been turned down and had to appeal. it's a complete toss up, tbh.

and that's before any real wrangling starts...

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 19:59:58

If you are going for a statement, can I advise:

Make it very clear in a covering letter what the needs are, what has been done already but even more importantly, what you want from them.

I've been on SEN panels and have good success rate with statement applications, so good luck. Happy to read over stuff if you message me.

silverfrog Thu 06-Dec-12 19:57:12

if your dd has been there for over a year, and shown little to no progress, then realy truly you need to cut out the middle man (ie school) and move straight to SA.

be prepared ot be turned down. this is standard LA operating procedure.

get your arguments lined up, prepare your case, and go fight for what your dd needs. it will be a fight, unfortunately (as you are already seeing), but you are your child's best (and probably only) advocate.

don't waste anymore time trying to ge tthe school to meet with you and agree a way forward. document all the times you have asked for meetings. write down all the times your dd ahs not progressed/you have asked for extra help.

this will help you in your argument with the LA for a statement.

read the IPSEA pages on how to apply for a statement, and get on with it.

it take s aminimum of 6 months to get a statement in place, so you have no time to lose if you want one before secondary (it took us 3 years to get a statement, despite my dd1's very clear and obviosu needs)

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 19:52:31

Sorry - x posted.

I'm in London which is a bugger. Sorry about that. Definitely make a fuss. Talk to the HT after one last attempt to meet with the SENCo.

I'm a SENCo and if I haven't an appointment with someone after a week I feel terrible. Get on it!

freddiefrog Thu 06-Dec-12 19:51:22

We've been advised against a tutor too, until we get to the bottoms of how DD learns. Otherwise, we're just putting a sticking plaster over a boil.

Dyspraxia had originally been suggested with DD (they're now looking at ADHD and asd) and our main problems is her working memory, ie, she has none. We've been given lots of activities and games to help her. Has anyone suggested anything like that?

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 19:51:19

God - NO! She has already not progressed in 6 months, she should be having intervention already. This SENCo is making ME cross now!

Am near Manchester, i would be very grateful if you could!

pleasedontjudge Thu 06-Dec-12 19:48:55

Where are you based? I bet you I can find someone who is experienced in SEN who might want to tutor.

Teacher has said she doesn't advise tutoring, I have been looking at tutors but struggling with finding a tutor who is experienced in SEN, dd has zero self esteem and I need someone very calm or she will just fall apart.

She has only been there over a year, the head teacher is not really approachable nor switched on to sen needs.

BackforGood Thu 06-Dec-12 19:45:13

The SENCO might not always work directly with the children - some are also class teachers. They are there to co-ordinate provision though, and should meet with parents who request it. It also sounds that if progress has been limited / targets not achieved at each review, then they should have been asking questions at previous reviews each term over the years as to what they could try next / who they should be asking for further support.

Foxy800 Thu 06-Dec-12 19:42:46

I would try to get in touch with them again because they sort being doing more. HOwever, I know how you feel in terms of not returning calls. I have been leaving messages for my dd's senco all this week and not one has been returned!!!

Hope you get somewhere soon.

NannyEggn0gg Thu 06-Dec-12 19:40:49

The HT would have to explain why your DD has made no progress.
Have a meeting with her asap, take a list in and discuss all your concerns. I would have thought she should be on SA+ at the very least (hard to get a full statement), with clearly defined objectives on the IEP, which have to be agreed with you.
And don't accept any 'we can't afford anything' stuff. She should certainly have some allocated TA or teacher time (possibly in a small group) if not direct teaching from the Senco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now