Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be getting slightly panicky about Christmas?

(18 Posts)

Don't panic, just enjoy yourself, or that's what I keep telling myself, I go into hospital on the 19th Dec for dc3 to be delivered, I have a 4 and 5yo who now really 'get' christmas! <Panics>

redwellybluewelly Thu 06-Dec-12 23:02:21

There is the most awesome thread about hosting first Christmas dinner in the Christmas topic...

DamnBamboo Thu 06-Dec-12 22:56:06

I hate to say it, but the cooking, timing etc.. is just for a roast dinner.

Get some nice table decorations, tablecloth, crackers, nice relishes and chutney for meats, put some nice music on and make a special christmas non-alc punch for them (served in wine glasses) so you can have your wine.

It'll be fab... don't worry smile

Ooh - goose is divine. grin We had a 'family' (i.e. just us) Christmas for the first, and probably, only time ever and did goose for two adults and one small child. Prune and walnut stuffing goes really well too. [v.v.v. greedy emoticon]

The only thing about goose though (and, ultimately, it's a good thing) is the large amounts of fat that will accumulate while cooking and need draining so make sure you have sufficient receptacles to cope. Had to do ours prob four times. It does mean you and the rest of the street get goose fat roasties / chips for the whole of the next year though. grin

But, the main thing to bear in mind it that it really is easy - Starter: smoked salmon and soda bread, Main: all veg prepped previous day and left in cold water until chucked into oven with seasoning. Bird stuffed and chucked into oven with occasional outings for draining, Pudding: bought made some days previously, cake ditto. Drink: prepared and handed to you by DH on an 'as necessary basis'

Sounds lovely - wish we could do the same this year.

purrpurr Thu 06-Dec-12 21:39:15

Eleanor, Christmas is about families, it's not about meeting standards - or setting them. No one person is responsible for the success or failure of Christmas. The family should work together. Not a family staring at you whilst you don't drink and produce a miracle.

COCKadoodledooo Thu 06-Dec-12 17:27:49

We're having just the 4 of us this year (dh, me, almost 9yo ds1 and 3yo ds2) and I can't wait grin

Don't get me wrong, I love how we usually spend it with extended family, but like you would like our own traditions, and I know ds1 would as well because it was him that asked if we could do it this year.

So for us.. up early, breakfast/bucks fizz/few pressies piled in our bed. Church. To the pub afterwards for a drink with friends then home for more pressie opening and grub. We're not even having a roast shock Ds1 suggested tapas and 'party food' so am more than happy to go with that!
Have bought a new Wii game to play together plus the kids will have their new toys to play with. Planning skyping with folks/grandparents/aunties/uncles, a sofa snuggle/dvd watch, then once the kids are in bed dh and I will sink a bottle of Baileys have some quality time together.

Hope you have a lovely time op smile

EleanorGiftbasket Thu 06-Dec-12 17:11:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HairyGrotter Thu 06-Dec-12 17:09:57

Just get arseholed whilst cooking, I find that that's when the magic happens

DontmindifIdo Thu 06-Dec-12 17:09:40

oh, and lay the table on christmas eve so it's done.

ENormaSnob Thu 06-Dec-12 17:09:08

Right, take some big deep breaths grin

Buy what you can ready prepped.
Nicely set festive table.
Start wrapping now, alcohol helps the creativity flow.
Quiet background of Christmassy music.
Plenty of drinks.
Alcohol for you from dawn on the 25th.

Honestly it will be fine.

DontmindifIdo Thu 06-Dec-12 17:08:33

confused, when do you open gifts? If it's in the morning first thing, then you open them, your DH does the tidying away of wrapping paper and neatly putting the toys/gifts to one side and you get on with cooking.

Your PIL might not be so riotous, but the DCs want GPs to sit down and play with them, not being noisy and entertaining for the other adults, it might be more fun for them. For the food, buy a lot ready done, make a list now, ideally do a sainsburys or Waitrose order this week for the 23rd December (you then have 24th if you realise you've forgotten anything!) so you feel like you've got it all sorted now.

If you are going to your mums in the evening for dinner/tea, could you buy somehting like a board game that you can play with the DCs after lunch before you go? Lots of Christmas music, and remember your DCs will feel Christmassy if you are cheerful and happy.

(and drink while cooking)

SugaricePlumFairy Thu 06-Dec-12 17:04:21

Don't panic!

Ensure you have plenty of gin to see you through the cooking process but not so much that you carve the sprouts and spoon the turkey!

It's a glorified Roast, just add crackers and party poppers to the table and the rest will take care of itself!

Pixieonthemoor Thu 06-Dec-12 17:02:15

Look, it's only 6th Dec so start planning now and it will all be absolutely fine - you have lots of time. I find writing lists and plans really concentrates the mind and makes you feel more organised thereby relieving the stress. Get presents online and delivered. Dh can wrap those. Your children can go bonkers with the tinsel and decorate the house.

Christmas lunch IS just a roast with a few extra bits so relax on that score and buy in as much ready made stuff (eg stuffing, bread sauce, brandy butter, xmas pudd) as poss to spare you the extra work.

Bung on some Christmassy music for added atmos and instruct your dh that you are never, at any time past about 11am to be seen without a drink in your hand. It will all go swimmingly!!

purrpurr Thu 06-Dec-12 17:01:43

Get everything frozen/pre-made and put it in the oven. You could even, as my mum suggested as if it would be the naughtiest thing in the world, do gravy using granules. OMG.

If you're cooking for a simple audience, lay off the internal pressurising. You could do beans on toast, ffs. It's about it being your own Christmas, your own traditions. You really don't have to do what family have always done, or become the lady in the Asda advert. I don't think that's a good look for ANYONE, unless you're in some sort of martyr competition.

And of course you can drink! Stuff it if no one else is, so what? This is your Christmas too!

FireOverBethlehem Thu 06-Dec-12 16:58:26

Prep as much stuff in advance - veg, you can do the roasties the day before and reheat them. Older children can peel in front of the Snowman along with you so it becomes a family tradition.

Take drinks out of the kitchen, including the kettle, so people don't get under your feet.

get DH and older children laying the table early on to give you clear work surfaces.

44SoStartingOver Thu 06-Dec-12 16:52:48

Order meal from m and s
Wrap gifts
Drink

Job done!

ObiTheChristmasWan Thu 06-Dec-12 16:50:49

Do not panic. Throw yourself into Christmas with gay abandon. Go completely mad, and plan any number of outlandish things.

If it starts to look a bit ropey on the day, herd eveyone 3 doors up, and throw yourself upon the mercy of your mother. grin

EleanorGiftbasket Thu 06-Dec-12 16:43:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now