To avoid going out

(17 Posts)
ILiveInAPineapple Thu 06-Dec-12 14:36:59

My ds came down with chickenpox last night.
I am a teacher and had nothing at home to set cover work with, and my dh could not get out of work today, so I went into school at 6am to set cover for my classes today.

A work colleague called to see how my ds was, and in passing she thinks I am being over cautious - I went into school really early so I could get back for my dh to leave for work, but she told me I should have jut brought my ds into work to set cover and then I wouldn't have had to get up so early.

The cleaner who cleans my lab is having chemo, and there are also several pregnant staff in school. I'm already feeling dreadful because my mum is immunosuppressed and has had to go for immunoglobulin injections as she saw ds at the weekend.
My friend thinks I am over sensitive about exposing people because of my mum, and that chickenpox is all around so it's fine to come into work to set cover/ go to tesco/ Christmas shopping (yes, she actually suggested that!).

So AIBU / over cautious?

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 06-Dec-12 14:41:22

Yanbu. Much better to risk over-caution than endanger another person smile

SugaricePlumFairy Thu 06-Dec-12 14:41:53

Your colleague is being silly.

I wouldn't take a poorly child out to mix with other people and spread the virus.

You were very considerate, professional and did the right thing. smile

ILiveInAPineapple Thu 06-Dec-12 15:03:54

Glad you think I'm not being over cautious, I hate being stuck in but can't see any other reasonable solution!

NatashaBee Thu 06-Dec-12 15:20:47

YANBU. I remember seeing a thread on here where someone had a child with permanent brain damage after having chicken pox.

Likesshinythings Thu 06-Dec-12 15:29:45

I agree YANBU and are doing the right thing. My DS also has chickenpox and won't be setting foot outside until we can be reasonably sure that he is no longer infectious. I was supposed to be going to a party this eve but have cancelled because I know that a pregnant friend will be there and I don't want to run the risk that I may be carrying the virus and pass it to her (I'm sure it's a tiny risk and I'm probably being over-cautious but I would feel beyond awful if it were to happen).

Gillyweed001 Thu 06-Dec-12 17:32:38

YANBU. Better to be safe than sorry. I don't think its being over cautious

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 06-Dec-12 17:39:06

You are being really sensible.

quoteunquote Thu 06-Dec-12 18:33:09

I love you OP,

I love that you care about other people,

I have had a really hard time this year avoiding people with chicken pox and other infections, that would if I came in contact with would make me very ill, or kill me.

you only have to read the usual threads on here about chicken pox to realise most people don't give a monkeys they just want to do what will fit in with theirs lives best,

My oncology consultant is insistent that I avoid anyone with chicken pox, until ten days after the last spot has scabbed over.

so I haven't been able to go to any school events, to see anything my children have been involved in, or even pick up my children from school, because every time we try to, there is a child with chickenpox there,

at the children's primary school there are several parents doing cemo, as well as children, or siblings, and grandparents,

My friend has to choose between letting her son go to school when chicken pox is at school, or a class mate has been sent in the day after D&V or making him live at grandparents so he doesn't pass on bugs to his sister,

one mum can't let her daughter go to school because her immune system will not cope, they had so many returns to hospital they have almost given up on school.

so OP, you are brilliant. your friend is a twonk.

Bluebelleswood Thu 06-Dec-12 19:52:44

I think you are very kind, thoughtful and selfless.
You are to be commended on two counts. Firstly because you didn't let your students and pupils down, and secondly because you protected other people from infection, even though it meant some personal difficulty for yourself.
I hope your dc makes a good recovery.
Well done yanbu!

McChristmasPants2012 Thu 06-Dec-12 19:55:51

yanbu.

ILiveInAPineapple Thu 06-Dec-12 21:34:13

I'm really glad you have all said this. I was kind of thinking maybe I was being paranoid and cruel keeping my DS at home, he is not dreadfully poorly, just covered in spots!!!!
I would just hate for someone to become seriously ill because I didn't keep him at home, and knowing about my mum really made me think there must be loads of people out there who have "hidden" immunosuppression for various reasons.
Hopefully he will be the same tomorrow, just spotty and a little under the weather, as I remember being really ill as child and it was horrid!

ILiveInAPineapple Thu 06-Dec-12 21:34:44

Likeshinythings hope your DS gets well soon smile

harrietspy Thu 06-Dec-12 21:38:39

You are really, really thoughtful. Hope your ds feels better really soon. No, you're not being remotely overcautious.

BlackholesAndRevelations Thu 06-Dec-12 21:44:59

Having kept my two completely in quarantine when they had pox, I was utterly horrified to see a toddler in a pushchair in town, with lots of un-scabbed pox blisters. YANBU

Likesshinythings Fri 07-Dec-12 10:46:06

Thank you, ILiveInAPineapple. Hope your DS is better soon too.

ILiveInAPineappleCoveredInSnow Fri 07-Dec-12 10:52:19

He looks like a dot-to-dot book this morning grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now