Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Marcus Wareing really needs to get his priorities right

(140 Posts)
Janeatthebarre Wed 05-Dec-12 14:01:48

He was on Masterchef last night saying that he has sacrificed family and friends for cooking; if he had to take off his chef's coat right now he would be absolutely nothing; cooking is his life etc etc etc.

AIBU to think he just prepares fancy food, he is not saving lives or undertaking ground breaking research or writing great literary novels... he is just preparing fancy food?

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:11:41

I don't think Greg brings anything. I think he is quite engaging but he doesn't add any constructive comments really.

I like grumpy old John Torode. I have a real thing for grumpy Australian blokes. It's the Alf Stewart syndrome.

SugaricePlumFairy Wed 05-Dec-12 16:11:59

Isn't it Tom Kerridge tonight doing the mentoring in his kitchen, if that's the right word.

Please be nice Tom and not a giant arse.

He's so nice on Saturday Kitchen!

LIZS Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:13

agree and his beard is very aging !

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:17

Greg's a freakin' green grocer!!!!!!!!

Monica is my number 1 girl crush.

She has a book??? ::dashes to Amazon::

valiumredhead Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:18

I won't have a word said agains Greg!! He is very short though in RL and not as fat as he looks on telly - telly does celebs no favours at all.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:12:41

I read that Michel Roux is very accomodating with Monica Galetti - she has a young daughter and she works flexible hours. That can't be easy to work out logistically for a chef. More reason to love the man.

Narked Wed 05-Dec-12 16:13:22

Michel Roux Senior is the best critic ever. I've seen him commenting on the Masterchef people's efforts and he can, in a quietly delivered sentance, convey a disappointed hope that makes the person desperately want to do better and feel angry with themselves for letting him down. He doesn't need to be shouty.

valiumredhead Wed 05-Dec-12 16:14:44

The Roux's are well known for being good to their staff though - they are in the minority <knowledgable> I read an article on how they pay their staff well and so they are more likely to be loyal to them

That's lovely to hear Gerorf smile

He seems a thoroughly nice man

I'm am sorry that you are suffering from Alf Stewart syndrome though - that sounds nasty sad

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:17:04

I totally agree with how he criticises so constructively. You can say someone's work is poor without making someone feel utterly bereft, it can be done with kindness. And I am sure it is more productive. People won't be disengaged and angry, they would want to work harder to achieve.

lol at threesteps grin

AllSnowballsAndNoKnickers Wed 05-Dec-12 16:20:37

Oh I think not, with a nickname like that you have no chance m'dear cough far too common cough <flounces off to polish Michel's balotine>

grin

You can polish his balotine dear, I'll keep his salted caramel nice and warm!

I wouldn't want to imagne anything of Marcus's penetrating me in the dead of the night thank you (bet he has dribbles of food he double dips in that nasty beard) - I'd rather make my own bacon sandwich and have Michell penetrate me - maybe he can knock me up a nice almond croissant instead after knocking me up! grin

AboutThyme Wed 05-Dec-12 16:26:36

Now that could be messy shock

noddyholder Wed 05-Dec-12 16:26:48

Michel looks like shrivelled little old man yuk (but he seems a lovely person ok?)

valiumredhead Wed 05-Dec-12 16:29:56

Yeah, Michel doesn't do it for me at ALL.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:33:59

Oh but look at his big brown eyes.

I am a sucker for men with big brown kind eyes.

Poledra Wed 05-Dec-12 16:36:13

<makes note never to let GetOrf meet DH> grin

INeedThatForkOff Wed 05-Dec-12 16:37:20

Was that the chef whose kitchen the contestants were cooking in? I remember thinking much the same. Humorless prick.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:38:28

OOh is your husband a grouchy australian pol, or does he have big how now brown cow eyes? grin

WinklyVersusTheZombies Wed 05-Dec-12 16:38:33

noddy shock

<joins queue for the lovely Michel>
<beats way to front of queue>

When DH and I had dinner in Le Gavroche, we were several courses in, and several glasses of wine down, when Michel came round the tables to say hello. I may have told him he was my favourite person blush

He took it well

As did DH

Quenelle Wed 05-Dec-12 16:39:21

We laughed and laughed last night. Marcus Waring berating poor Aaron, telling him to put the food on the plate like he has set out to put the food on the plate. With PASSION.

Or something.

It was brilliant nonsense.

Gregg Wallace is on it because he's entertaining. And Masterchef is an entertainment programme featuring cooking.

Michel Roux jnr is lovely. He would never shout at his chefs about how passionately to put the food on the plate.

And he looks like my DH. Lucky me smile

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 05-Dec-12 16:39:43

OOOOH that makes me jealous.

I would love to go to Le Gavroche. DD had a look at the website and said dolefully 'mum, they don't tell you the prices' grin

OhDearNigel Wed 05-Dec-12 16:40:17

Why should he change his priorities because you don't agree with them ? His priorities are his craft and his business. Whether you agree with them is none of your business. He's quite happy so what's it to do with you ?

I never cooked professionally at that level but I do have a lot of old colleagues that now do and it is all consuming. Efe ven working in "just" a 5 star hotel with a 2 rosette restaurant it was the whole focus of all our lives. My ex has no family life to speak of, no girlfriend, nothing apart from his restaurant and his food obsession. That's his business and he's very happy thankyou

Poledra Wed 05-Dec-12 16:40:45

It's the big brown eyes, GetOrf. And he is grouchy, but only North-east grouchy. And, just by the way, currently sporting a dodgy full beard, as Movember gave the lazy bastard an excuse to stop shaving....

noddyholder Wed 05-Dec-12 16:41:12

Greg is a common oik

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now