Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that MNetters won't join the campaign...

(51 Posts)

...to stop Waitrose climbing into bed with Shell as they don't want to upset their favourite supermarket.

http://www.facebook.com/greenpeaceuk

InExitCelsisDeo Wed 05-Dec-12 12:33:01

I don't have a Waitrose.

<bitter>

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 05-Dec-12 12:33:46

no, dont want to upset waitrose because they'll ban us all. they'll set up stations at the front doors and check your shopping list to see if it says naice ham or to see whether you have the MN scarf or haircut. hmm

Jins Wed 05-Dec-12 12:36:26

To be honest they have to get their petrol from someone and I don't see Shell as being any better or worse than the alternatives confused

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 05-Dec-12 12:36:53

I drive, use Waitrose regularly, and get petrol at Shell when I can because they are usually the cheapest round here.

I couldn't give less of a fuck.

I did laugh inwardly last week when in the queue at Waitrose and the woman at the checkout complained to the customer in front of me that 'We are becoming just like every other supermarket, it's disgraceful' when she was presented with a money off coupon. grin

AlienRefucksLooksLikeSnow Wed 05-Dec-12 12:40:17

Like your name worra! Waitrose? What? I have to got there to get my dogs wheat free food,other wise no, it's extortionate, but yes, they have to have a petrol provider and they're all bastards aren't they?

WorraLorraTurkey Wed 05-Dec-12 12:41:01

The guy on the facebook page makes a good point...

"Oh dear god, who cares. Do you really think Waitrose care what a handful of people, most of whom probably don't even shop with them think? They've identified a profitable partnership and are creating jobs. There are more important things going on in the world. Also, where does it end? Should we boycott Cadburys (Kraft) because they supply stock to Shell petrol stations? People seriously need to get out more and stop moaning. The world needs oil, simple, and when the conventional sources run out we need to exploit any other resource we can."

WorraLorraTurkey Wed 05-Dec-12 12:42:01

Liking yours too Alien grin

Hemlet Wed 05-Dec-12 12:43:16

Is this supposed to be a parody of those godawful 'Like' this picture of a bruised child, which will then show up on all your friends' profiles, if you're against child abuse. If you don't immediately like, share and dedicate your profile to this cause then you obviously don't care about children being abused and are worse than the abusers themelves.'

I can't bloody stand those stupid things. I ALWAYS delete them if they show up on my page. I don't want to see pictures like that thank you very much.

Startail Wed 05-Dec-12 12:43:41

I don't often use Waitrose and I don't think we have any shell garages to boycott.

However, I drive a lot, and that means I need some one to drill for oil on my behalf.

Sadly the reality is that security of oil supplies mean we must drill for oil in beautiful places.

I'm all for campaigning for the best enviromental standards, but Greenpeace's, multi national bad, lets boycot them approach is pointless.

ilovetermtime Wed 05-Dec-12 12:49:57

Shell are worse because they've got permission to drill for oil in the artic.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Wed 05-Dec-12 12:52:04

How are they worse? It is whoever gave permission that is at fault.

I will not be joining, you are right.

I can't be in on every moral crusade launched by hand-wringing Guniveres and Tarquins and in any case I like their bakery counter too much to boycott them.

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 05-Dec-12 13:27:29

Yes, this is exactly why I don't shop there.

It's has nothing to do with the fact that I can't afford it and the nearest one is 20 miles away because I'm oop north.

It's because I'm morally outraged, outraged I tell you angry

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 05-Dec-12 13:34:29

I don't have Facebook so have no idea as I can't view the link.

Never been in a Waitrose, ever.

and think the OP has come across as a bit of a cock. Would you walk into room and try to people on side by insulting them.

Fakebook Wed 05-Dec-12 14:13:53

I live right next door to a waitrose. Literally right next door. Where do I shop? The Co-Op opposite waitrose and Tesco. I'd rather drive all the way to tesco than buy overpriced crap from there.

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Wed 05-Dec-12 14:31:03

Way to go OP - using an overly generalised statement to offend the very people that you'd like to get to support a 'worthy' cause. <applauds>

<eye roll>

FellatioBellsOn Wed 05-Dec-12 14:33:16

Sorry, I must have missed something. Why don't 'we' like Shell then? confused

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Wed 05-Dec-12 15:10:11

Well that was very successful Op.
The world needs campaigners like you in the world.
Not.

I've only ever been in a Waitrose once. I'd spent the previous 2 nights sleeping in a chair next to my DDs hospital bed, miles from home with no clean clothes. I went in to buy nappies and was followed, very obviously, by security until I'd paid and left the shop.

For that reason, I don't give a shiny shit what they do because I'll never step foot in one again.

amicissimma England Wed 05-Dec-12 15:43:49

Which are we objecting to? Shell or Waitrose?

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Wed 05-Dec-12 16:13:31

Dunno actually, amicissimma grin
Let's just object to everything to keep on the safe side.

ilovexmastime Mon 10-Dec-12 15:20:42

That would be the US government then doesntturkey. And I agree, they are the ones most at fault, I guess it's just easier to petition waitrose though.

MerryLindor Mon 10-Dec-12 15:22:53

The passive aggressive approach to marketing is generally not a successful one.

MerryLindor Mon 10-Dec-12 15:34:00

And what makes Shell worse than the other oil companies?

FellatioNelson Tue 11-Dec-12 13:27:54

I'm still waiting for an answer on that ML !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now