Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

in worrying about the world ending on the 21st?

(353 Posts)
kaylasmum Wed 05-Dec-12 11:13:19

I know i'm being irrational but i'm really getting worried. i suffer from anxiety and this is really getting to me.

aibu?

Rapture290 Tue 11-Dec-12 13:45:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AnyaKnowIt Germany Tue 11-Dec-12 13:48:14

Sorry Rapture290 but I'll take my chances with science, not some book written thousands of years ago

Snorbs Tue 11-Dec-12 14:34:04

Rapture, every generation for well over a thousand years has had some group or other claim that the Bible has predicted the Imminent End Of The World As We Know It.

And yet every single time they were flat-out wrong.

How odd. It's almost as if some people deliberately use fear to try to entice people into believing in their particular version of a religion.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Tue 11-Dec-12 14:36:54

Don't engage with Rapture290. Given the history, it's simply not worth it.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 11-Dec-12 15:05:15

I'm sure there is a good comedy sketch to be had of a bunch of Christian rapture-predictors finding the end is nigh...but it's some long-neglected Mayan deity in charge.

But that's all this sort of idiocy is good for - comedy. Its sad when people give it any credance.

Pandemoniaa Tue 11-Dec-12 15:24:09

Don't even read the Raptureshyte, kaylasmum. The world will not end on the 21st December nor in 5 years to come. This sort of bollocks is liberally spread around, like a toxic form of margarine, precisely to cause anxiety. Which is what makes it all the more contemptible.

If you are having problems overcoming this latest attempt to cause panic then go back to your GP or counsellor and talk it through with someone sensible. Avoid the internet.

FryOneFatChristmasTurkey Tue 11-Dec-12 15:34:00

Rapture290.

Your so-called predictions are a load of codswallop. Each generation tries to fit those "predictions" into their life and times, and each generation fails abysmally. The passages that pass for "predictions" in the bible are twisted and stretched to fit the latest views, and this can be done because they are so ambiguous.

The bible is as much use for prediction as a chocolate teapot. I much prefer to believe in science.

Jossysgiants Tue 11-Dec-12 15:34:15

Ugh Rapture- the Op has said she is suffering from anxiety. What are you trying to achieve by your post????? Very irresponsible.

kaylasmum Tue 11-Dec-12 17:19:44

Thankfully I did'nt read raptures post.

I'm not in a constant state of anxiety but the worry is in my mind all the time.

AnyaKnowIt Germany Tue 11-Dec-12 18:27:13

Rapture was a troll, so you aren't missing much op smile

flow4 Tue 11-Dec-12 20:10:16

Here's what NASA say: about it. "The world will not end in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012." And you'd think that if anyone knew, it'd be them!
more here

kaylasmum Wed 12-Dec-12 10:48:56

hi flow4, i had a look at that and it is reassuring but i read somewhere else that they would'nt tell us if they knew something as it would cause mass panic.

perceptionInaPearTree Wed 12-Dec-12 12:25:43

'i read somewhere else that they would'nt tell us if they knew something as it would cause mass panic.'

This is true, so using that logic, if there is a date when our government knows the world will end, we wouldn't even have heard what that might be anyway.

It comes to the point that we cannot control everything and that the best thing to do is get on with your life! Seriously. I know it's hard when you're anxious but you could worry every day about this sort of thing. There are many, many things that are beyond our control.

Jossysgiants Wed 12-Dec-12 12:38:07

Kayla - I have been where you are. Terrible health anxiety, plus anxiety about things such as this. Thank god, i have been a lot better for quite some time. It is horrible, and so I am saying what I am going to say now with a huge amount of sympathy. Please stop doing this - you are feeding the beast of your anxiety by searching on the Internet, and even returning to this thread. You mentioned your Cbt so you will know this. My Cbt counsellor was adamant about this - the salve which is provided by the reassurances lasts only so long. And then the cycle starts again. There is always something else to read which contradicts what you have just read. This whole 2012 thing is utter bollocks - everyone has given very good reasons why this is so. But that is really by the by. Do nice things for yourself which require you to just be in the moment, and quieten the anxiety. Running, yoga, dancing anything. Stay off the Internet for a while if you can. Unmumsnetty hugs to you.

Tamoo Wed 12-Dec-12 13:03:36

The government cannot predict earthquakes, tsunamis etc and anyway none of these would be devastating on a global scale.

They could predict rogue planets, asteroids etc heading towards Earth, and they could attempt a cover up, however there are so many thousands of professional and amateur astronomers watching the skies at all times that I doubt a cover up would last very long!

And for space kind of things the advance warning period is likely to be years. Frankly it's almost impossible for the kind of scenario to occur whereby there's a globally cataclysmic distaster that takes us all by surprise.

RockingAroundTheBloodyXmasTree Wed 12-Dec-12 19:54:01

i said to my dp bout the government not telling us and he thinks im talking a load of shit.

Mimishimi Thu 13-Dec-12 05:01:34

I'm more concerned about some unscrupulous people taking advantage of this fear to stage certain events...

GrimmaTheNome Thu 13-Dec-12 11:47:54

If the government (UK or US or any EU) knew the world was about to end, do you think they'd be bothering to worry about debt and imposing austerity etc?

AboutThyme Thu 13-Dec-12 11:52:48

The over-anxious mind responds to that by thinking, well of course they don't want to create mass panic so they are acting as though they are worrying about debt etc. when in actual fact they are hiding in a bunker under a mountain.

MyLittleAprilSunshine Thu 13-Dec-12 12:04:31

I was nervous about it as have anxiety too but all this info has really helped. smile

AboutThyme Thu 13-Dec-12 12:11:22

I was one of the people spouting helpful info and now my anxiety has peaked and I'M worrying! <not helpful>

Jingleflobba Thu 13-Dec-12 12:25:18

If rapture's post was about revelations then they're talking crap, troll or not. The bible iirc says that no one knows when it will happen and wouldn't take a pagan calendar as a source would it?
DS came home talking about this the other day and told me that as the our own calendar has changed (from the Julien to the Gregorian) as far as the mayan prediction is concerned then it is actually 17something rather than 2012. I want to sit in his RE class, sounds much more interesting than the one I had at school!

kaylasmum Thu 13-Dec-12 14:56:30

AboutThyme - you are spot on about the over anxious mind!

Well i've been googling and got myself into a real state, been reading about a supposed large planet hiding behind the sun and people having taken photos of the sun showing this planet behind it! anxiety is sky high right now.

Pandemoniaa Thu 13-Dec-12 15:00:00

Please, please, please stop googling, kaylasmum! You are feeding your anxieties. Jossygiants gives you some excellent advice so please try and follow it. I would also suggest you hide this thread. Not because anything awful is going to happen on the 21st but because it has now become another source of anxiety for you.

perceptionInaPearTree Thu 13-Dec-12 15:30:47

Kaylasmum you need to keep away from the laptop for a while - this must be awful for you!

As I said I suffered with anxiety disorder and your responses remind me of myself about 10 years ago. I started to get preoccupied with some unfounded notion that my stomach was unable to digest food. I then started panicking every time I ate and eventually convinced myself I had cancer. Then, while googling I found something which said that people with blood group A are more likely to get stomach cancer. Well that was it, I was convinced I must therefore have it!

Now what I am trying to say is that although this felt very real to me at the time, it was of course totally illogical. And you need to tell yourself it's not rational. Hard I know! I had a course of CBT to sort mine out which helped.

I am sorry you're going through this sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now