in worrying about the world ending on the 21st?

(353 Posts)
kaylasmum Wed 05-Dec-12 11:13:19

I know i'm being irrational but i'm really getting worried. i suffer from anxiety and this is really getting to me.

aibu?

kaylasmum Fri 07-Dec-12 20:41:44

did sky news really issue warnings? thats sounds really scary.

flow4 Fri 07-Dec-12 20:49:36

I tried convincing my kids that if the world was going to end on 22nd Dec, there wasn't any point in me buying them Christmas presents wink ...
They pointed out the smartypants! that if the world was going to end, I wouldn't need money, so there was no point saving it, and in fact I might as well give them presents today and every day til the 22nd! grin grin

BTW, have you seen this marvellous very short YouTube clip of the Australian Prime Minister announcing the end of the world?! grin

kaylasmum Fri 07-Dec-12 20:59:12

flow- how old are your kids? are they not concerned about it? if i mentioned it in front of my dd aged 9 she would be very upset.

Fakebook Fri 07-Dec-12 21:04:50

On Thursday evening the electricity in our house went on and off really quickly. The lights kept going dim and then back to normal again. DH was at work but this morning he told me their electricity at work kept going dim and then bright again. He says all their electrical equipment had to be reset again. Is this something to do with the solar flare or something? It happened on 6th dec at around 7pm

kaylasmum Fri 07-Dec-12 21:07:38

has there been a solar flare recently? I did'nt know there had been one, does anyone know if this has happened before?

flow4 Fri 07-Dec-12 21:11:25

Mine are older, ksmum - 17 and nearly 13... And they both have quite a wicked sense of humour grin.

Your DD may well sense your worry and be upset too. Kids do tend to pick up on our emotions, don't they? smile But really, don't fret: it's nonsense, honestly smile

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Dec-12 21:11:56

>has there been a solar flare recently? I did'nt know there had been one, does anyone know if this has happened before?

Yes, of course its happened before, scientists know a lot about them. Solar flares are a natural phenomenon which occur on a roughly 11 year cycle.

kaylasmum Fri 07-Dec-12 21:14:59

I'm trying very hard to keep my anxiety hidden, so don't think she would pick up on anything.

Grimma- are solar flares reason for concern?

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Dec-12 21:15:46

Re Facebooks question - possibly - I heard we're due for some and 'Massive solar flares are sometimes associated with coronal mass ejections which can trigger geomagnetic storms that have been known to knock out electric power for extended periods of time.'

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Dec-12 21:18:15

>Grimma- are solar flares reason for concern?
maybe if you work for a power company or suchlike or you're an astronaut.

Morloth Fri 07-Dec-12 21:27:52

Will worrying help?

Let's say it is true, what difference will it make if you worry about it?

flow4 Fri 07-Dec-12 21:29:15

Flares have always happened - the earliest recorded ones were about 700AD, and the earliest scientifically observed ones were over 150 years ago. They are pretty common, and there was one yesterday... smile
You can find out about flare activity here: www.spaceweather.com/

Fakebook Fri 07-Dec-12 21:33:52

Yes I've read somewhere we're due for some big solar flares which is why I thought my electricity was going dim. Apparently they effect radio waves.

Another thing I've heard is that the poles will change. I can't remember the word for it but the north will turn to south and the south to north so it will affect magnetism and suchlike. When I was in school they taught us in year 3 that every 100 years there's a polar shift (that's the word). I don't know if this is true though. We should be due for one soon if it is true.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Fri 07-Dec-12 21:41:55

Kaylasmum - I was hoping you wouldn't see this, I can't think why Rocking posted it on your thread so that you were bound to see it sad

Rocking - considering you are now worried by this after hearing about it on Skye news, WHY would you post it where someone else who was worried anyway would see it? <shakes head>

BOTH of you - the end of the world (and all the rest of it) has been predicted over and over again and we are all still here. I have lots of chocolate and baileys planned for Christmas and I'll be buggered if the world is going to be allowed to end before then!!

In all seriousness, the world is not going to end. Not on the 21st of Dec nor for a very long time after that. If you are seriously still worried about it, you need to get some/more/better therapy x

perceptionreality Fri 07-Dec-12 22:59:57

The Sky News thing is a joke!

To the people worried about this - why are you any more worried about this prediction than previous ones? confused

MysticMugBug Fri 07-Dec-12 23:05:58

i have terrible anxiety if i don't take my anti-deps - sertraline.
I know how horrible it is, the quote 'fear is a prison' is v true.
Maybe try and get some help from your GP, i did and i'm so glad, but i was worried i wouldn't be taken seriously

kaylasmum Sat 08-Dec-12 18:07:10

I told my dp of my worries today and he said he can understand why i would be worried, because of all the things that have been happening in the world lately. He is usually the level headed one!

flow4 Sat 08-Dec-12 22:51:54

I don't think more bad things have happened; I just think we hear about them much more... When I was young, there were only 3 TV channels, half a dozen newspapers and no internet - so therefore only very limited opportunities to ever hear about things like solar flares and Mayan calendars...

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfJolly Sat 08-Dec-12 22:57:54

I don't worry about things like the world ending. Generally I figure that there's no point in worrying if there's nothing I can do about a possible issue.

And if there is action I can take I should be taking it rather than wasting my time worrying.

kaylasmum Mon 10-Dec-12 12:15:48

after feeling a little less anxious yesterday its hit me full force today! I wish i could speak to a scientist or some mayan history expert. God i sound totally mad!!

kaylasmum Mon 10-Dec-12 12:17:54

been reading about people in china buying up supplies, same in russia!!

SledsImOn Mon 10-Dec-12 12:21:11

I can't bloody wait tbh. Bring it on.

kaylasmum Mon 10-Dec-12 12:24:33

sleds do you have kids? i fear for my dcs.

Pandemoniaa Mon 10-Dec-12 12:29:27

Please stop torturing yourself with this. Especially stop Googling up the millions of scare stories that are posted by bonkers conspiracy theorists.

InExitCelsisDeo Mon 10-Dec-12 12:31:47

But if the world is due to end on the 21st, what is the point of buying supplies? There will be no 22nd on which to use them.

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now