to think if you start a sentance with "this is going to sound really rude" then you probably shouldn't say it

(30 Posts)
autumnmum Tue 04-Dec-12 17:34:36

That's it really. Someone I had only just met started a conversation with me using this opener today, and then was suprised when I was upset by what they said.

cumfy Wed 05-Dec-12 18:06:24

I don't mean to be overly critical but YABU;
it's a perfectly reasonable to prepend some sort of warning to appropriately flag up negative comments.

OTOH why the hell this person thought that you should lie when asked a perfectly straightforward question and that instead they can dictate the answer you should give is utterly bizarre.
Is this a religious sect of some kind ?

They sound totally unhinged.

cumfy Wed 05-Dec-12 18:11:56

Perhaps more pithily:

I totally disagree with what you're saying, but completely recognise your right to say it

quesadilla Wed 05-Dec-12 18:41:27

Depends... if its with someone you know and trust and you're being frank about something important and you're having a drink it can be fine. If its an opener to a conversation with someone you hardly know, nine times out of ten its best just to keep it to yourself.

autumnmum Wed 05-Dec-12 18:47:53

Thanks for your helpful replies people - you've made me feel a lot better. I spent all last night thinking of witty things I could have said.

cumfy not a religious sect, just a run of the mill environmental charity. I have discovered today that the person in question is training to become a therapist!

bradyismyfavouritewiseman Wed 05-Dec-12 19:19:26

I think it depends. Sometimes something needs to be said. Its going to come across as rude.
Especially in text, email etc.

I refuse to say it now though.

My auntie thinks that if you start a sentence with 'with all due respect..' you can say what you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now