Why can't people clean up after their dogs?

(56 Posts)
Samr85 Tue 04-Dec-12 09:27:47

It's disgusting! On the way to and from school every everyday I'm having to constantly point out the dog mess on the floor so my son dosent end up standing in it! I don't understand why someone keeps a dog if they can't be bothered to clean up after them?! Is it just me that's annoyed by this or am I just over reacting?shock

ZigaZig Wed 05-Dec-12 11:38:35

YANBU and YANBU again!

How many times have I had to haul my children back from the park covered in dog poo!?

Would I let my kids s**t in the park and then not clear it up?? No. Totally unacceptable and I can feel myself typing more and more angrily with this post.

To dog owners who are responsible--thank you.

freddiefrog Wed 05-Dec-12 10:03:39

thekidsrule We have a dog poo warden, the job is solely to go out and fine people who dont clear up after their dogs. I've yet to see any evidence of them in action yet though, our local Dog Shit Alley, is still pretty shitty

DaPrincessBride Wed 05-Dec-12 10:03:11

YANBU, DD (2.5) stepped in dog poo a couple of weeks ago, realised after she had walked into the house on our cream carpets....took about an hour to get it all out of the grooves of her boots, another hour to scrub it out of the carpet and several days for the smell to properly go.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Wed 05-Dec-12 09:48:55

Another school run poo dodger here to. Even the picker uppers leave smears.

I don't believe any dog owner has always picked up the poo, that they have never run out of bags or their dog had the squits.

thekidsrule Wed 05-Dec-12 09:41:31

i think local councils should employ a warden especially for this task (can you imagine the job script)

plain clothed with id to hand to visit parks and hand out fines on the spot,they could record on phone as evidence,play back to offender etc

round here it would pay the wages and make a profit

but the job would be just for spotting and fineing,going from parks to notorious fowling spots

ive put alot of thought into this grin

bellarose2011 Wed 05-Dec-12 09:17:48

The other thing i can't understand is people walk there dogs on the same path everyday, they leave dog poo all over the path, surely there dogs feet get covered in poo then walked into there house? And there own shoes?

bellarose2011 Wed 05-Dec-12 09:11:03

Its a huge problem were i live. A few months ago my toddler picked up a piece, think it was because I'm always saying people should pick up there dig poo. Since then i have made it my personal crusade to stop it in the streets around my house. Ive have reported 1 person to the council as i saw him coming out of his front door, walk down the street and leave a big pile of his dogs poo in the middle of the path. I did ask him to pick it up and he walked off.
Its so hard when you have a pram and a toddler walking, i literally can't take my eyes off the path when were walking, its just not fair.
I think the councils need to get tougher on this, as far as i can tell people just get warned to pick it up. Thats not enough, they should get on the spot fines.

adeucalione Wed 05-Dec-12 09:05:16

In our village the main culprits are teenagers - I'm sure their parents ask them to walk the dog and arm them with poo bags, but they can't be bothered to use them.

Although yesterday I passed a retired judge who was standing next to his mid-poo dog as I drove past. When he saw me he waved and started getting a bag out of his pocket, but when I checked my rear view mirror a few seconds later he was putting the bag back in his pocket and dragging the dog off.

And this time of year is the worst for poo in grassy areas - people take their dogs out after dark, and can't see exactly where the poo is, and don't want to feel around with their hand, so just leave it.

lotsofdogshere Wed 05-Dec-12 08:18:46

Recently our council had a couple of people, with cameras, who photographed the dog in the act, and the owner walking on without picking up. The owner was then stopped and a £60 fine was administered - this was in parkland. I walk my dogs round a reservoir, and am shocked by the number of people who don't pick up when their dogs go in the middle of a footpath. I commented to a couple of men recently, that they seemed to have missed noticing their (huge pit bull cross breed type) who had crapped mid footpath. They were abusive, predictably and left the huge pile of there. I agree with all other posters, it's disgusting and the dog owners who do this have no shame.

SHoHoHodan Wed 05-Dec-12 08:13:54

Some bugger let their dog poo at end of my drive yesterday. Most of it in the middle, but bits trailing away too.

There's an alley near us too which has the informal name of Dog Turd Alley. Bleugh.

Thankfully the percentage of dog owners who do this is extremely tiny.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 05-Dec-12 08:12:02

flaggybamnrl, you should have started hose piping it while the dog & owner were still there! better still follow him home and put the contents if my son's nappy this mirning on his driveway. believe me that was equally gross!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 05-Dec-12 08:08:39

dreamingofthemaldives & others, I will never forget this - I was sitting in my car on a busyish road. a man was walking his dog. dog pood. man made a huge fuss of getting the bag out, shaking it open etc then walked off. clearly making a display for passers by but not actually clearing it. up. However that thought process works, I do not know!

maddening Wed 05-Dec-12 08:05:16

Yanbu it's awful.

Fwiw your council will have people go out and pick it up if you give them a call. They might also not be aware of it being a problem until they have to go out so many times.

I always call if I see it round children's play areas.

mamij Wed 05-Dec-12 08:00:13

YANBU! Its disgusting seeing it in the streets and also having to try and dodge it during school run/walks out etc. People shouldn't have dogs if they can't clean up their mess.

impty Wed 05-Dec-12 07:57:10

People walking their dogs must end up walking around or standing in their own dogs poo? For that reason alone you'd think they'd pick up.

I pick up, but spend my time walking around horse poo on the roads... It's easier to spot though smile

YouOldSlag Wed 05-Dec-12 07:41:22

Most posters on here are the responsible kind. It's the ignorant sods who don't see there's anything wrong with it that are the problem. It's their mindset we need to change.

thekidsrule Tue 04-Dec-12 20:01:26

why is it always the school run

you would think being near a school people would be more aware,NO CHANCE

i wonder if anyone will come on here and admit they let their dog do this without clearing up,NO CHANCE

flaggybannel Tue 04-Dec-12 19:42:21

YANBU!
Dog dirt is worst! And dangerous! I have took myself outside to hand a poop scoop and bag to someone who walks thier dog past my garden everyday who laughed at me- i was livid! Cleaned it up myself.
Its cats-pooing under my plants that really bug me- thats probably another thread though.
Btw- i have 3 dogs- and pockets full of poop bags lol!

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 04-Dec-12 19:33:04

somewheresomehow I must admit I do this occasionally. My dog has a habit of shitting just before we get to the field where there are no poo bins and wrangling a ball thwacker, a ball, a bag of treats, a lead and a bag of shit is not easy.

I hang it on the shrubbery around the field but I collect it again on my way home plus any other bags that happen to be hanging nearby. I always just assume that those bags left in trees are either people still on their walk who are going to come back later or people who meant to return but forgot where they left it (I make sure I always use the same tree so I don't lose my bag o' poop)

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Tue 04-Dec-12 19:22:37

There MUST be way of making people too scared NOT to pick it up.

How about random member of the neighbourhood watch following you as they "saw" your dog poo and you didn't clean it up.

Happened to me but the nosy old bitch failed to realise that my dog did a wee. If you don't know enough about dogs to know the difference between a wee pose and a poo pose then you really shouldn't march up to someone spouting a load of shit. Especially when that person actually does clean up their dogs mess

Samr85 Tue 04-Dec-12 17:54:43

Don't get me wrong though u do understand that a lot if people do clear up after their dogs and even thanked a man the other day down the alley I have to walk down for clearing up after his dog as that's where must us left. It just really annoys me that people go to effort to get a dog but done clear up n then other people have to dodge the stuff whilst trying to get from one place to the next! Most frustrating.
I also have had the same problem with buggy wheels going into it on my way to a baby group and I've had nothing to hand so ended up trying to clean it off with grass!! Not nice.

Samr85 Tue 04-Dec-12 17:41:55

Bosgrove I also do the "mind the dog poo" chant and necessary grab lol. So glad I am not alone in thinking its disgusting!! X

Frontpaw Tue 04-Dec-12 14:18:56

I saw a yelling match between two lovely doggy locals. One has three shitty little happy crapbags and the other is rat-boy with an incontinent devil dog who I wouldn't approach! I didn't know who to root for.

Fakebook Tue 04-Dec-12 14:13:31

We have condoms on a footpath we use everyday. They're durex ones from a pink box. Some arse shit has taken them out of the packet and thrown them around. I'm in two minds about telling the council to clear it up.

somewheresomehow Tue 04-Dec-12 14:13:22

What narks me is when the owner picks up the crap in a bag then dangles it on the nearest tree or fence. if they are going to leave the sodding stuff in a bag why pick it up in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now