To not want a minute by minute account of Kate's pregnancy and little sympathy for her.

(512 Posts)
babbas Mon 03-Dec-12 21:15:03

She's rich, she has all the support in the world and will have no cooking, cleaning, vocational work or responsibilities. I really really really do not want to have daily updates on her condition or her pregnancy for the next nine months! It's so typical of everything she stands for that they have already announced she will have to be on rest for the foreseeable future. As opposed to doing what exactly??!

My best friend had HG and lost a stone in 8 days. She went to hospital and was told to pull her herself together as most women had morning sickness. No time off work, no help whatsoever.

44SoStartingOver Mon 03-Dec-12 21:46:54

Going off at a bit of a tangent, was hg the reason women were prescribed thalidomide back in the sixties?

I had bog standard ms which was tedious, so I can only sympathise. Is the treatment just symptom control? I guess there must be huge reluctance to take any drug that could possibly be managed without during pregnancy.

However, it is pretty damn obvious that the duchess is going to have an easier time than an ordinary mum, one with children already, or was coping as a single mum, or in poverty, even if their condition is otherwise identical. Possibly balanced out by press intrusion?

She does not have a lot of surplus weight to lose though, she is going to become very thin pretty quickly. Do they just hydrate or try to provide nutrition as well?

ajandjjmum Mon 03-Dec-12 21:46:56

Hardly a dimwit with a degree from St. Andrews.

Hope she feels better soon - and although I know it won't happen, that she gets some peace to enjoy her pregnancy and new baby.

Yes Pink you're right.

I covet the life of a woman whose every move/outfit/strand of hair is public property and up for scrutiny.

Who is obsessed over by little flag waving saddos who think they know her.

Who is essentially a walking womb with a naice hairdo.

Who has to live by the rules of an outdated world and has no real freedom.

Jealous of her clothing budget. That's about it.

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Mon 03-Dec-12 21:48:06

'I do wonder where she will get support from to share how she's feeling.' Lets hope she doesn't see some of the comments on heresad

She isn't better educated than me.
And if everything I understand about HG is even halfway true, she's not happier than me either.

I do feel sorry for her. Not least because she is bound to have wanted to keep it to herself till after her first scan.

Mu1berries Mon 03-Dec-12 21:50:37

BUNNY, "she is basically a womb with naice hair" you could say that about any wife then. She wants a child herself I'd say. does that make any mother to be a womb? or just a rich famous titled mother /wife confused

Greensleeves Mon 03-Dec-12 21:50:55

she isn't more educated than me, and I doubt she's happier... and "married better" doesn't mean anything outside Catherine Cookson novels

she is prettier than me though grin

I can't stand any of them. They're not an irrelevance to me, they're an actively bad thing and I would welcome their immediate removal.

I wouldn't wish hyperemesis or any other kind of bad pregnancy on her. But I don't care any more about her than the woman next door to me who has SPD and is on crutches with 3 boys with ASD and no money. And I find the sycophantic comments about "carrying the heir to the throne" fascinating in a sort of "wow are there still people who worship the sun" way.

Morloth Mon 03-Dec-12 21:51:07

I don't really understand the bitterness towards this woman.

She hasn't done anything actually offensive has she?

I have no idea what she is like, never met her, she doesn't appear to do anything wrong and she still seems to rile people.

There isn't enough money in the world that would see me famous, I like money a lot but fame just looks like a royal (see what I did there) PITA.

What do people actually want from her? All she has done is marry the man she (I assume) loves, why is that such a problem?

judefawley Mon 03-Dec-12 21:51:52

Like most people I know, I have very little interest in the royals, but I wish them well.

I have a friend that spent 3 pregnancies in hospital with HG, it was a dreadful time for her.

She's definitely prettier than me though!

Wow, OP, bitter much?

I dunno, Morloth. I am as befuddled as you. I have been on these threads talking about HG, because it made me hideously isolated in my experience at the time and it's cathartic to talk to other sufferers. I have immense sympathy for anyone having their pregnancy overshadowed by illness.

KenLeeeeeee Mon 03-Dec-12 21:54:25

I don't give a shiny shit who she is or how much money she has. She's suffering with a horrible condition, under intense media scrutiny AND trying to enjoy her first pregnancy. For that she has my absolute sympathy.

YABU, and really nasty to boot.

kim147 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:58:05

See - I think she would get some really good advice on here about things. But she couldn't post. Somehow it would leak out and then what she writes would get out.

How the hell do you live a life where most things you do are scrutinised and you have little privacy? Who do you trust to get support? Who can you just complain or whinge to?

Mu1berries Mon 03-Dec-12 21:58:48

Morloth, good queston, what do people want from her!? confused

boschy Mon 03-Dec-12 22:02:21

Gosh, some of this is just vile. Poor woman, she feels like shit, is probably terrified, has had to announce her pregnancy much earlier than she might have chosen to, and if all goes well will spend the next 30 weeks with papparazzi waiting for her to throw up left right and centre.

I really hope she gets the best medical treatment (as should any other woman in the same condition) and a bit of peace and quiet.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Mon 03-Dec-12 22:03:35

Well you better get your head around it because it will be in the news everyday.

Shoot me. I like the royal family.

ReallyTired Mon 03-Dec-12 22:04:03

I feel sorry for anyone with HG. Its not normal morning sickness.

Kate is in hospital because HG is a life threatening condition. She is probably on a drip and feeling wretched.

"My best friend had HG and lost a stone in 8 days. She went to hospital and was told to pull her herself together as most women had morning sickness. No time off work, no help whatsoever."

In the politest way possible, I might suggest that your best friend just had normal morning sickness rather than HG. Perhaps the reason the hospital sent her home was that her life was not at risk. People with HG problems with excessive ketones in the blood and they get very underweight. It really is a serious condition. It is not just puking up four times a day.

There is no way that a woman with proper HG would be able to go work.

I had the same thing, and was meant to be a minor witness in court (was outside a cafe when a girl was attacked by her ex). I had moved from Kent to Berkshire (2+ hours by train) and had no car. I couldnt move to pee without having to be violently sick.
I had to get a sicknote from my GP for the court to be satisfied I really couldnt get there.
GP refused to just speak on the phone to me, insisted I come to her which I did while puking the whole way and wobbling.
Anyway, I got there, and after all that she refused to give me a note for the court, told me I was hardly the first to feel "peaky" and went on about how if I associated with nicer people I wouldnt be in court (no idea why she thought that, I was outside waiting for a friend, didnt know who the victim or attacker were, and wasn't the star witness).
Luckily, dsil rang the court and explained, who warned I could get myself arrested, it was up to the presiding Judge, but thankfully he was fine.
So, no, not everyone has the same attention as Kate, but I bet most private patients have that experience. I wish her better as it was awful, and going from a pregnancy with no sickness with dd 11 months before, it was horrific, and marked the beginning of an awful 6 months where ds ended up being born at 28 weeks. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, however their pregnancy developes, or whoever they are.

Pantofino Mon 03-Dec-12 22:04:32

Cor - when I chat to my dd about what to avoid in BF material, remind me to mention that they must never be in line to the English throne....as that way madness lies....

McChristmasPants2012 Mon 03-Dec-12 22:05:58

Morloth i belive it is down to people being jealous of her.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Mon 03-Dec-12 22:09:32

What's not to like?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Mon 03-Dec-12 22:10:58

She is priviliged beyond belief so there is no doubt that every thing will be at her beck and call. "Carrying the heir to the throne". So fucking what!!

It is only by birth that the Windsors are where they are. And all their hangers on.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Mon 03-Dec-12 22:13:03

"She's prettier than you
She's better educated than you
She's married better than you (the fact shes married is a bonus TBH)
She's happier than you"

unless you actually know the person you're directing it to (and if you do I'd advise the purchase of some armoured clothing) that's a very strange post. Better educated is a bit odd in particular - there will be tons of people here much better educated than Kate Middleton.

Yellowtip Mon 03-Dec-12 22:13:57

I don't quite get how she wolfed down roast beef and rice krispie pud a couple of days ago at her old prep. We don't actually know this isn't yet another fading royalty pr stunt.

And yes, I've been there, done that btw. I just find her utterly pointless, 'carrying the heir' or not. Uninteresting and rather rodentine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now