To already being annoyed at the jibes at Kate Middleton's hypermesis

(78 Posts)
guccigirl666 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:14:31

The poor woman is said to be suffering hypermesis, a rare and horrific form of morning sickness. It is NOT within the 'normal realms' of morning sickness, it means you cannot even hold down water. I suffered from this in my pregnancy and was on a drip in hospital for days, I lost 2 stone in weight and hearing everyone talking about her 'moaning' and comparing it to 'normal' morning sickness is really frustrating! Hypermesis is pure hell and shouldn't be overlooked!

guccigirl666 Mon 03-Dec-12 22:21:57

Bogeyface I believe a woman can suffer hypermesis in one pregnancy but not another, that is what my gp told me.

peanutMD Mon 03-Dec-12 22:24:05

I posted a status earlier...

Mainly because I am 26 Weeks and still waiting patiently for the shitty sickness and nauseous feeling to go away and its not fair that no one is feeling sorry for me!

But hey I am happy to admit I am being hugely unreasonable and selfish but I'm having a self-pitying day today grin

Walkacrossthesand Mon 03-Dec-12 22:25:20

Who knows - maybe she'll join the boards, we would never know! grin

FabulousFreaks Mon 03-Dec-12 22:27:42

I think the absolute worst bit of hyperemesis was feeling so ill that I couldn't even raise my hands to put shampoo in my hair and having medical experts and others dismiss the illness as just a bit of morning sickness. I had terrible depression as a result. To be that ill and told to buck up is torture

Corygal Mon 03-Dec-12 22:33:08

It's awful, my mum had it when she was having me. In the 60s the cure was being shouted at by your doctor, which meant her sole nutrition for a month was tonic water until it wore off (a tradition her DD has loyally kept up, with a couple of extras).

Not wishing to be provocative or owt, but surely KM is in hosp so early because she was already so very thin? I imagine your existing BMI has a lot to do with how fast you are treated.

I had HG and was in hospital for four separate stays whilst being on a drip. I can honestly say its hell and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, I couldn't even move most days without throwing up and it only subsided at around 8 months. I only have 1 DD and it's the fear of HG that plays a very large part in keeping it that way.

PeskyRat Mon 03-Dec-12 22:40:05

Horrendous illness. I had it with both pregancies.

Spent a week in hospital on drip with first, then was admitted twice within 2 months when pregnant with my DTD's.

Was so bad with the DTD's I couldn't even swallow my own spit without my body retching and heaving it back up again envy <<yuletide vom

BadPoet Mon 03-Dec-12 22:44:15

YANBU, the poor woman. I had HG with my first, and it was utterly horrific but it did pass at about 16 weeks so I was lucky really. I had normal morning sickness with my second - constant queasiness but only one puke per day, able to eat a bit - different league.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 03-Dec-12 22:48:16

Bogey I had it in my first pregnancy but not my second, thank goodness. It is a factor in us not having any further children.

Bogeyface Tue 04-Dec-12 03:01:01

So HG is not guaranteed to happen in subsequent PG's if you have had it before?

That's actually quite sad from the POV of the DoC, because we all know that the wives of the heir are expected to produce the "Heir and Spare". Her doctors will tell her that next time, it might not happen. So no matter how much she suffers during this PG she will be under incredible pressure, both from the public and the instution, to have another baby, whether she wants to or not. Ok, so she will have as much help as money can buy to take care of the eldest child, but it won't take away her suffering will it? sad

reddwarf Tue 04-Dec-12 03:24:28

She is in the early stages of her 1st pg and having a terrible time of it, poor thing. But I don't think, at this stage in the 1st trimester we need to be worrying about all the pressure she'll be under to produce the next baby!

Each day has enough worries of it's own and all that.

MeDented Tue 04-Dec-12 11:54:17

I think the press and newsreaders are deliberately calling it morning sickness to provoke the general public and judging by the snidey remarks on facebook they are succeeding. Even if you don't believe in the Royal Family and all that they stand for it is hardly Kate's fault and really don't think she has ever done anything to warrant such nastiness towards her.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 04-Dec-12 12:07:29

MeDented - I don't think it is that. The press in general shy away from anything which sounds remotely scientific and are always looking to dumb things down so that they are 'accessible' and other guff. This is just another example.

SantasStrapOn Tue 04-Dec-12 12:11:24

Agree it's dumbing down, but it's unhelpful and is fuelling all the idiotic 'it's only morning sickness' remarks.

HG is about as close to morning sickness as breaking a leg is to twisting your ankle.

YANBU. But I honestly think you have to have suffered from HG to really understand the horror of it. I had HG with both my pregnancies, the second was kidney threatening. There won't be another one for that reason, and I'll always be sad about that. I was told by a consultant that they see a handful of cases a year in hospital. It's an exclusive club I wouldn't want anyone to have to join tbh.

sanityseeker75 Tue 04-Dec-12 12:18:26

I suffered with hypermesis with DS and then went on to have SPD - put me off having any more - feel terrible for her - just what you want you feel so shit - everyone slagging you off for it!

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 12:19:40

Isn't it more likely that since she was ok and out and about two days ago she might just have the winter vomiting thing? The onset and diagnosis seems incredibly quick.

PerryCombover Tue 04-Dec-12 12:20:11

Poor girl hyperemesis is awful

Yellowtip Tue 04-Dec-12 12:21:25

And the doctors have reassured the couple that there's no danger to mother or child - the accounts here make it clear that there are.

SantasStrapOn Tue 04-Dec-12 12:33:40

No, onset for me was incredibly rapid. One day I was absolutely fine, fit as the proverbial fiddle. The next morning I was woken up by horrific vomiting and nausea, and within a few hours I was on a drip, in hospital. It was that bad.

It never went away, even with copious drugs, the only thing that kept me alive was being hospitalised for most of my pregnancies. There's no danger to mother or child provided the mother is correctly treated, and there are no other underlying health issues involved. I ended up with CKD from it, as I already had damaged kidneys from untreated childhood UTIs.

HG really can be that rapidly onset (terrible grammar, apologies).

Fecklessdizzy Tue 04-Dec-12 12:39:26

It's horrible. I had it with my second pregnancy and ended up in hospital and miscarried. I don't know if I'd have lost the baby anyway but the two that went to term were just your normal pukyness, whereas this was awful - throwing up blood because your throat's so raw and having to carry a plastic bucket everywhere you go - so tired you can't stand up.

I'm no royalist but she really has my sympathy!

I do feel sorry for her but I am bored to tears with her pregnancy already.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Tue 04-Dec-12 12:44:03

I had it all the way through my first pregnancy, could vomit up to 30 times a day, lost almost 2 stones, and was still in normal size 10 trousers 6 weeks before DD1 was born, and I'm 5'8".

Had it until month 7/8 with second pregnancy, it definitely helped make up our minds on having baby No.3. sad

She has my sympathy too.

Jelly15 Tue 04-Dec-12 13:23:01

I had your common morning sickness and that is bad enough but Kate's condition is hell, my friend has it and we were really upset and worried to see her suffering so very badly and you can see the concern on William's face.

1944girl Tue 04-Dec-12 13:36:06

I think the reason she is in hospital is because she is too thin.If you are being sick all the time and are underweight you are bound to lose some more pregnant or not.
In pregnancy the babies life could be in danger if an underwieght mother is constantly being sick.Her essential levels could drop so low she would not be able to sustain the pregnancy.Every baby is precious, royal or not.
I had terrible sickness during my first pregnancy but none at all with the second and last one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now