Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be cold....brrrr

(29 Posts)
Notcontent Sat 01-Dec-12 16:09:32

I am at home, wearing ugg boots (as slippers), jeans, long sleeved top and jumper. The heating is on. I am still cold. Crappy Victorian house with little insulation, but nothing I can do about that.
Not looking forward to the next three months. sad

Pixel Sat 01-Dec-12 22:21:29

This evening is the first time we have had the heating on as we can't afford the bills. I thought we'd have a treat to celebrate the 1st December and was looking forward to a cosy evening for a change. Bloomin' heating is useless. The radiators in the dcs' rooms are only on number 2 and they are toasty hot, the ones in our bedroom and the living room are on number 5 and barely warm. I've bled them but don't know what else to do and dh is at work. Just got the room slightly warm and the cat wanted to come in so now I'm freezing again (and yes I do have on my now customary vest/t shirt/jumper/bodywarmer combo, plus I've made a curtain to go over the awful draughty front door - thank you Mr landlord)
<sulks>
<eyes up sloe gin in kitchen cupboard>

Phacelia Sat 01-Dec-12 21:22:59

Freezing here too. Heating on, so I shouldn't be this cold, and the house is well insulated. Very glad of hot drinks, my fleece, socks, scarves and heat pad. Roll on Spring.

rumbledethump Sat 01-Dec-12 21:13:38

I'm quite comfortable at the moment but my tip is layers. So if you are weaing long sleeve teeshirt - wear under it vest and summer tshirt so the long sleeve is not the main "keep warm". It makes a huge difference and make sure there is no space around the waist. My other top tip is a scarf around the neck and as an extra around the waist too.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 01-Dec-12 21:10:47

Brrrr I feel for you all. I'm not good at cold anymore. I've been here in CA long enough to get soft. It's 21 in the house and I was just thinking I need to start the fire. blush probably doesn't help that I'm in a tee shirt I need to put my sweatshirt back on.
Reading this kind of thread has me wanting to stock up on thermals and good coats before we move back to UK.

zukiecat Sat 01-Dec-12 20:44:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BumpingFuglies Sat 01-Dec-12 19:01:34

Zukie sorry to hear that sad

BumpingFuglies Sat 01-Dec-12 19:00:23

Know how you feel, my heating is broken sad

<passes round hot toddies and chocolate>

Notcontent Sat 01-Dec-12 18:12:36

Yes, exactly Theicing !! Would love to live in a lovely new well insulated house. No chance of that in London!!!

We are feeling it a bit, trying to keep heating at just under 20 so we all have nice thick dressing gowns on top of anything. I also close my curtains not just blinds now and that helps a lot also fleecy blankets as under blankets. Pychologically I think I'm warmer when I have candles lit.

Theicingontop Sat 01-Dec-12 17:55:25

Damn victorian terraces!! Nightmare to heat. Sitting in mine right now freezing my arse off with the heating full on, having no idea where the bloody draught is coming from. Chimney probably angry

I've taken to walking around with a duvet as a dressing gown.

Zukie - that's far too cold! sad

Nope, it's 19 in here and I'm lovely and warm - have legging/dress/cashmere socks/thick cardie on - plus a huge cat.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 01-Dec-12 17:49:56

None of you are wearing nearly enough clothes. I have five layers on my top half and just rushed around cleaning and now feel at the perfect temperature.

Notcontent Sat 01-Dec-12 17:17:14

It's comforting to know it's not just me!
But feeling quite spoilt compared to those of you who have no heating. Zukiecat - your house sounds freezing. Have you explored all options to try to get a bit of heating?

I am now wearing some fleece bottoms and feeling a bit more toasty.

vintageviolets Sat 01-Dec-12 16:30:29

Yabu to be wearing Jeans shock

I couldn't think of anything colder.
I have thermal leggings , thermal socks, t.shirt, dressing gown, hot water bottle, and a single duvet over me grin

Heating on full blast.

CheerMum Sat 01-Dec-12 16:29:09

Luckily for me, my dd's cat likes lying on my feet to keep them warm.

Our dog likes to do it too, but he's so big and heavy you start to lose the feeling after a while!

Mrsjay Sat 01-Dec-12 16:28:40

even going in the bath the water seems cooler I bloody hate winter can we all go abroad for a few months and come back in april or maybe march

StuntGirl Sat 01-Dec-12 16:27:16

Our house is freezing. The only time I'm warm lately is if I'm in a scalding hot shower. Want to emigrate. Any foreign mnetters want to adopt me for a few months? <hopeful>

SugaricePlumFairy Sat 01-Dec-12 16:25:58

Yup, same here. I am wearing

Thick socks
Uggs
Trackie bottoms
Long sleeved tshirt with short sleeve tshirt over the top and........... two cardigans!! and a scarf.

Heating came on at 3 but I'm still cold, ds3 is in shorts! hmm

digerd Sat 01-Dec-12 16:25:56

I am in my Darmart thermal underwear, with thick fleece trousers and a really warm thick but very light cardi, and still got my outdoor boots on after being out for 10 minutes. Outside was so damp cold, it got through the skin of my face, the only bit not covered over.
I have heating on at 21 degrees , but will be putting it up to 23 later as did last evening. I'm OK at the moment. but the longer I sit, the colder I usually get. Lovely and warm under my duvet in bed and have a fleece cover too.

Mrsjay Sat 01-Dec-12 16:24:30

It is a blanket with arms in it I think it is a mashup of slouchy blanket or 'something'

YuleBritannia Sat 01-Dec-12 16:23:34

What's a slanket? The word was used twice so can't be a typo for blanket. One of those things like a dressing gown that you wear back to front?

zukiecat Sat 01-Dec-12 16:22:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YANBU at all...it's FREEZING here as well. We can only afford heating in one room so I have the doors shut tight and....AAAH my DD has just opened the kitchen door letting all the warm air out <<runs off>>

Havingkitties Sat 01-Dec-12 16:17:56

Yabu...you need to put your thermals on and a hot water bottle down your knickers too!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now