Aibu that the post lady was being unfair?

(34 Posts)
PinkFairyDust Sat 01-Dec-12 13:54:26

Went into a very busy post office to collect a parcel, there were at least 10 people in front and about 15 people behind. Was doing a bit of people watching as you do, people in front were handing their red cards over and a few minutes later the parcel arrives. I was pleased as I didn't have any I'd on me (but have never needed it to get a parcel before)

Gets to me and I hand over my red card and wait, she brings it out and then asks for picture ID, to which I say I'm sorry I don't have any, I'm moving house and passport/driving license are packed.

She replies well you better go and unpack them and come back when you do, I explain I won't be in the area
As moving 3 hours away. She says its my own fault and the parcel will have to stay with her.

I then very calmly asked why are you just asking me and no one else?! She replies with a smile on her face "I'm in charge and so I can do what I bloody well like"

I'm in shock and so angry, I get my phone out and while I'm on the phone next person gets their parcel with no ID

Aibu - that she was really unfair for no reason?!!

TwitchyTail Sat 01-Dec-12 16:22:30

I'm usually asked for ID but a bank card is fine - in fact Royal Mail say so. Doesn't it have that on the red card? I would have just pointed it out to her.

If she said what you quoted, she is an unprofessional idiot.

DontmindifIdo Sat 01-Dec-12 16:26:27

letter of complaint. Do it now while you are still annoyed.

StuntGirl Sat 01-Dec-12 16:34:16

If she really said what you've put here then write a letter of complaint regardless. She was rude and unprofessional.

PurpleTinsel Sat 01-Dec-12 17:39:24

The Royal Mail red cards for parcels round here also list non-photo ID such as bank / credit cards as acceptable forms of ID. I've had no problems picking up parcels using my credit card as ID in the past.

Agree that the behaviour described sounds rude. Odd that she was demanding photo ID from you, and nothing from others.

Although she may have known the other people in the queue? The people in my local post office know me now - there's been a few occasions where I've walked in to pick up a parcel, and they've seen me walking past the window and got my parcel ready on the counter before I've got to the desk and pulled my red card out.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Sat 01-Dec-12 17:42:58

Just get it redelivered. You can get it redelivered to a different address.

www.royalmail.com/delivery/inbound-mail/redelivery

socharlotte Sat 01-Dec-12 17:47:50

maybe she knew the other customers

maddening Sat 01-Dec-12 17:48:59

they can send it to another post office for £1.50 you pay when you pick it up - you can arrange online I think

hiviolet Sat 01-Dec-12 17:51:29

They have to ask for ID if it's a Signed For item, afaik. I needed ID to pick up a parcel this week for that reason. I only needed to hand over my debit card though. My driving licence has my parents' address on it because I don't drive and therefore haven't updated it in years.

There was no excuse for the woman to be such a rude cow, or to insist on photo ID.

PinkFairyDust Sat 01-Dec-12 17:59:28

So it seems very hit and miss if they ask for I'd or not spending on where you are.

Thank you stickEm - will get it redelivered to new address!

I am always drafting a letter of complaint on how everyone else needed no I'd and yet she was asking for photo I'd and what she said.

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now