The chalet school and ofsted?

(454 Posts)
thebody Sat 01-Dec-12 11:56:56

Aibu to wonder what Ofsted would have made of the Chalet school.? Any fellow chaletians around?

Oodthunkit Sat 01-Dec-12 17:27:26

You have to buy them pretty quick from GGB as there is a long wait between publishing runs!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 01-Dec-12 17:31:00

I used to do a bit of proof reading for them purpletinsel smile good idea though I ought to check them out again.

ArkadyRose Sat 01-Dec-12 17:31:40

It's rather telling that the author, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, did actually open her own school in the 1940s in Herefordshire that closed very shortly afterwards in 1948.

curiousuze Sat 01-Dec-12 21:16:23

I think all the drugging pupils and teachers without their consent that went might horrify OFSTED a bit! Matey was forever slipping sleeping drugs into people's hot milk.

Sadly Jack Maynard is not as fanciable on a re-read; in fact he's a patronising nobber, forever saying to Joey 'now look here my child.'

I am loving this thread grin

Inaflap Sat 01-Dec-12 21:48:36

Safeguarding a major issue. Also how many parents died or randomly took off just leaving their children with Madge or Joey as a ward. The cold bath thing always struck me as odd too. Did schools really do that? And how did they find staff fluent in three languages?

Murtette Sat 01-Dec-12 21:57:56

Teaching at CS must have been so easy as all of the European children (Robin, the Maranis, Mensches, von Eschenaus etc) were trained in "instant obedience". Oh, if only DD was instantly obedient!

Health & Safety would have been a major issue. And so would bullying - it was fine if you were Jo or Mary-Lou or someone but what about all of the others who never really got mentioned but were outside the main clique & very lonely?

PrincessOfChina Sat 01-Dec-12 22:04:13

I'm re-reading at the moment - I've just arrived in Guernsey so about 12 or so books in. Starting to get more expensive now though so am heartbroken when I think of my almost full set being sent to the charity shop 20 years ago sad Keep expecting to buy one back!

My main concern is children being left with family and friends while parents swan off to distant lands with their other, more favoured children. Yes, Dick and Molly Bettany I am talking to you.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 01-Dec-12 22:08:06

Dh kindly helped me identify my missing titles in a list I printed off and highlighted blush I will see if Christmas brings me any happy surprises!

SoggySummer Sat 01-Dec-12 22:17:01

I never read the chalet school books but loved Malory Towers and St Clares and Trebizon a bit later on.

Think I may and give them go!

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Sat 01-Dec-12 22:35:18

Malory towers was great for midnight feasts.

GothAnneGeddes Mon 03-Dec-12 01:12:17

While I did read M.T and C.S and loved them, Trebizon seemed to be really cool, not sure why, I'll have to try and grab them for a re-read.

I would love to be in a classic YA book club. Judy Blume, Lois Duncan, all the boarding school books...

TooImmatureMincePies Mon 03-Dec-12 02:40:30

grin I think the bits about how Jack had realised what Joey meant to him since she was a harum scarum schoolgirl are a bit alarming. Also, he was a qualified doctor when she was about 14 or 15 (he was definitely around in Head Girl of the CS).

Think Ofsted would have had something to say about the various eccentric music/art teachers who liked to throw things or dress like Plato. And I'm sure a Guide Camp involving fishing up a dead body, girls falling into pits and hornet attacks would fail a risk assessment. Also the bit in Rivals where they decide to re-enact the Ku Klux Klan might raise a few eyebrows these days. I wonder how that's been sanitised in the later editions? I read my granny's copies, the original Chambers hardbacks, with all the references to working like niggers left in. Oh, and Jockel the simple handyman, forgot about him.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten, I have some electronic transcripts which I found on a website a few years ago but which have now been removed. I've got the original uncut Head Girl with the bit about the Stuffer and Maria left in, A New Chalet School (also the original, ie, A New CS and A United CS), CS Triplets, Challenge for the CS, CS and Richenda, Future CS Girl, The CS Cook Book and Two Sams. I've also got some other non-CS titles - Kennelmaid Nan, The School At Skelton Hall and Trouble At Skelton Hall. If you (or anyone else) wants a copy, PM me and I'll email them to you.

New prints definitely not "sanitised" mince pies.

Jack Maynard is a creep who is forever slipping sedatives in his wifes coffee. That said, would love to be pampered half as much when even just slightly pregnant, here it's business as usual and I'm expected to work out of the home as well, even with four children, another on the way and no bloody Anna,.Rosli or Co Adjutant to be seen.

primigravida Mon 03-Dec-12 06:01:11

I would also love the help in the home that Jo and Madge had.
in common with SilentMammoth and other mners, I found Jack Maynard much less appealing when reading the books as an adult.

NellyBluth Mon 03-Dec-12 07:46:35

I feel like I am having a large part of my childhood ripped apart here to hear Jack Maynard isn't as wonderful as I thought he was sad

alistron1 Mon 03-Dec-12 08:10:45

I fear Matey would be at the centre of a Saville style scandal what with rubbing brandy into chests and doing things to girls that were never spoken of again.

Tanith Mon 03-Dec-12 11:09:02

As historical accounts, they are fascinating! One of my favourites is Jo of the Chalet School(?), the second one. The description of the remedies necessary because Jo caught a cold belong in a medical history!

I also really loved The Chalet School in Exile. The terrifying description of the Nazi riot and the children on the run to escape a concentration camp was very brave, as was the message of peace to all nations that the school League promoted. Very brave at such a patriotic time to insist that "I don't hate the Germans" and to make such a distinction between the German people and Nazism.

However, for a really challenging read, I think you can't beat Antonia Forest. Such a shame her excellent books aren't more widely recognised.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 03-Dec-12 11:15:12

there are many Antonia Forest obsessives out here Tanith. I am pondering changing my name to ThalianotFailure

2aminthemorning Mon 03-Dec-12 11:24:17

I find life is vastly simplified by this motto:

What Would Joey Do?

hels71 Mon 03-Dec-12 11:26:12

I love Antonia Forest!

I epxect Ofsted would have a field day at the CS. Can you imagine Bill being keen on leveling work and ticking boxes to say what they can and can't do......and prefects doing most of the games lessons as well as all the accidents!

Mind you, they would have to be impressed by the fluency in 3 languages within a few weeks of arriving!

HumphreyCobbler Mon 03-Dec-12 11:28:03

In the event of a crisis of illness Joey would sing to the invalid, or just speak firmly to them, and they will immediately recover

haggisaggis Mon 03-Dec-12 11:38:17

Girls Gone By have 3 titles (School at teh Chalet, Exile and Chalet School at Camp) in e-book format. I used to have loads of the original hardbacks but my dad got rid of them when they got slightly wet when a radiator leaked. Having bought a few second hand hardbacks now for £ 30 + I reckon he threw out a small fortune!

Janeatthebarre Mon 03-Dec-12 13:20:28

Really impressed at all your memories - or do you all sneakily re-read the Chalet School books at regular intervals?

TooImmatureMincePies Mon 03-Dec-12 13:57:32

Those people I sent transcripts to, I have just realised that Head Girl is on my old laptop so wasn't included. I'll try to find it - I know I didn't chuck it out but I don't know where it is! Apparently you can send Word files to a Kindle but not get them back again. hmm

TooImmatureMincePies Mon 03-Dec-12 14:15:11

Jane, blush yes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now