The chalet school and ofsted?

(470 Posts)
thebody Sat 01-Dec-12 11:56:56

Aibu to wonder what Ofsted would have made of the Chalet school.? Any fellow chaletians around?

lessonsintightropes Thu 01-May-14 20:51:27

Anyone else also re-reading the books as a result of this and the 'which school would you have gone to' thread? I am currently re-starting The Chalet School and the Oberland, and have bought the next six... I am trying to reassemble the whole collection. Love this thread grin

Louise1956 Thu 01-May-14 21:45:14

I liked the first few books, but lost interest after Joey left the school. She was by far the most interesting character.

But she never really left, did she, Louise? All that stuff about still being a Chalet girl when she's 90 years old and gaga, and her slightly obsessive over-involvement with the school and the pupils.

DeWee Thu 01-May-14 22:05:48

Joey? Left? And I thought I'd read them all! Which book did that happen in? wink

I think maybe Joey used to be let in to see the girls instead of sex education lessons.... Warning: if you don't use contraceptives loook what you could become....

Chaletfan Tue 21-Oct-14 00:22:55

I just found this thread while Googling looking for e copies of Chalet books and have thoroughly enjoyed all 19 pages! I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to share some of the electronic copies as I gave away mine years ago, have limited storage for books and have already bought the GGB e copies, I would be hugely grateful to anyone sharing the Tyrol ones, which are by far the best. You guys should be thankful that Joey isn't a member on here, can you imagine how bossy she would be? :P

aloiseb Tue 14-Apr-15 00:50:24

I think this thread died a little at the thought of Joey being in it. (Spirit of the school and all that....wink)

My favourite half term trip ever was the Bournville one, just after the war. I'm still trying to untangle the class division - if that's what it was? between the schoolgirls and the tour guide.hmm

Although they had to sit in a coach nearly all day to get there, Bride, Tom and co got a bag of chocolate biscuits biscuit each which they could choose themselves, as opposed to the box of Dairy Milk each which they would have had "before the war".

Makes you think how low Cadbury has sunk that Dairy Milk is now in Poundland....or no....no....maybe those are the very boxes!
<gets unnecessarily excited about proposed trip to Bournville with NCC>

daisychain01 Tue 14-Apr-15 04:49:41

bilbo regrettably I will have to deduct a house point, St Briavels is Gloucestershire Severn Estuary. We will cover that region in Geography later this term

Kitfromtipp1 Wed 27-May-15 22:31:30

Hi I was wondering if anyone has the pdf versions of the chalet school, they're impossible to find, I had most of the series and my brother threw them out couple years ago shock

Taytocrisps Wed 27-May-15 23:48:38

I've just discovered this thread and spent the last hour or so nodding in agreement and giggling like a tiresome middle. If anyone has any PDF versions, I'd love to read them. My sister collected them and we had most of them but there were a few earlier ones we never got such as 'A Chalet Girl from Kenya' and the one where Rosalie joins the school.

As for the safety issues, wasn't there a fire at the school concert one year?

Fatmomma99 Wed 27-May-15 23:57:36

OMG. This is the bestest thread EVER, but it's quarter to twelve, and I've only read the first page (I NEVER post without reading it all, but it's quarter to twelve and there are 19 pages!)

So just to say, their social inclusion is RUBBISH. They've never had a black, (ironically,) an EAL or remotely dark-skinned child, they have 2 assembly's which are both Christian (and they lived through 1930s-40s Europe - not a SINGLE Yid!).

I promise I'll read full thread tomorrow, but which time it will probably be full. But love reference to Madge's prettiness and winning smile!

Also, there are a LOT of peripheral deaths. Could "A Murder At The Chalet School" be the next title?

precibus Sat 30-May-15 13:12:53

And one at the Sale, I believe, Taytocrisps -I can recall one in Jo Returns, and another one set off by Grizel's cigarette?

Can anyone direct me to the pdf/transcripts site/email please? I have about 20 Chalet books but building the rest of the collection veeery slowly

precibus Sat 30-May-15 13:12:54

And one at the Sale, I believe, Taytocrisps -I can recall one in Jo Returns, and another one set off by Grizel's cigarette?

Can anyone direct me to the pdf/transcripts site/email please? I have about 20 Chalet books but building the rest of the collection veeery slowly

eggyface Sat 30-May-15 19:48:33

Just being amused by this line in 'The Head Girl of the Chalet School'.

"All four were so graceful, moving with a free easy grace that had its roots in constant practice of the old English folk-dances".

If only I'd had a proper education. limps away with stumpy gait that has its roots in constant hunching over phone and carrying heavy children

BathshebaDarkstone Sat 30-May-15 19:54:52

It'd be turned into an academy! grin

balletnotlacrosse Sat 30-May-15 22:11:36

There's a long running thread over on Children's books, and a fire occurred at their Christmas concert in December. Is that what you're thinking of ~Tayto?

DeeWe Sat 30-May-15 22:47:35

There is one girl who I think is from an ethnic minority: Liliamani, or something similar. She appears in Lavender so she can redeem Lavender, and I think appears briefly later but not for long.

There was a fire at one of the Christmas concerts. I think Jockel had been having a sneaky fag in a cupboard and forgot to put it out or something similar.

SockQueen Sun 31-May-15 00:09:00

Doesn't Grizel set Len on fire at some point?

I have been re-reading my CS books, and have all of them up to Highland Twins (which I have just finished) and I wondered if anyone has transcripts of any others? Someone kindly sent me some before, but I am still missing an awful lot, and it would be wonderful to read more. Would also be wonderful to read a transcript of Exile uncut if such a thing exists.

Gozogozo Tue 23-Jun-15 19:42:58

Me too! We had a house flood which destroyed all my old copies & I have bought a few replacements on ebay but nothing like the collection I had before sad .
Any Chaletian reading this, I would love some of the later

Gozogozo Tue 23-Jun-15 19:44:57

Sorry! transcripts. I have most of the first 12 books.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now