Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The chalet school and ofsted?

(454 Posts)
thebody Sat 01-Dec-12 11:56:56

Aibu to wonder what Ofsted would have made of the Chalet school.? Any fellow chaletians around?

Adeleh Sat 11-Jan-14 02:45:54

Elizabeth of the Garrett Theatre is brilliant. Only other Gwendoline Courtney I read was A Coronet for Cathy, which I didn't like as much.

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 03:52:22

Highly recommend Sally's family, I found it a few years ago at a car boot and it is probably my favourite GO book now. My DD1 who I has never shown any interest in GO, just main lines Jacqueline Wilson even loves it.

ProudAS Sat 11-Jan-14 07:32:13

Would OFSTED be bothered with the chalet school (not in UK)?

They did inspect Hogwarts though.

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 11:49:23

It was in the Uk during the war and soon after, and they did continue an English branch after they went to Switzerland, though you hear little of them as the books progress

Maybe they were keeping quiet about having been shut down!

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 16:28:55

Definitely try the Abbey Girls SilverDragonfly1, but start with the first one in the series, I tried them years ago, but a random one in the middle and all the characters and connections just confused me, they do not stand alone as well as many of the other series. I then got them all for my kindle and loved them.

You have all the Abbey books on kindle??? How? Where from? <excited>

What Empress said!

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 21:34:10

There was a group before the republishing rights were bought that transcribed them all, the group has now closed as the books are being reprinted

https://sites.google.com/site/ejosociety/

Adeleh Sat 11-Jan-14 21:55:21

Thanks weird. Will try Sally's family.

Thanks. I genuinely don't know if I'm being unreasonable to be annoyed that they've done that and are now charging a fortune for the books rather than letting everyone enjoy them...

weirdbird Sun 12-Jan-14 15:10:04

Sorry i explained that badly, the group that had transcribed them is not the EJO society that is now prinitng them, it was not an official group, just a group of fans/friends on a online forum.
Most people would still prefer an actual book to a e-book still. Which is why they are printing them.
Any official group would not be able to offer a kindle version for free unless they had permission from the estate, as royalties have to be paid.

What I find sad with both this and GGPB is that because they have bought the rights to print them, but it is a small just cover the costs, print run so the cost per book is high they will not be found my any new generation of fans.

Whereas a large publishing house they would be back in the shops again.

I see, I thought they were out of copyright. That's completely different of course and not unreasonable at all.

It is a shame. I had hoped the new issue of Autumn Term would have done well enough to spark publication of at least the rest of AF's school stories, but apparently not. I suppose they are just too divorced from the reality of children today. Thinking about it, books of that era also tend to contain a lot of mentions of books and subjects that schools don't teach today (whether Spencer's The Fairie Queen, botany or lacrosse)- at least, not to the age groups that would be reading them.

finnthejotter Mon 13-Jan-14 22:05:14

Crumbs, I've got a mention on mumsnet! Is this some kind of internet fame?

Thank you, EmpressOfTheSevenOceans - I'm so glad you're enjoying Tea and Militancy. Do I know you over on the SDL?

Chairchair Thu 16-Jan-14 00:07:50

Hello from another CBBer but of no fame. I wish books weren't so expensive.

Finn! Hello!

I'm Rafaella on the SDL, I've reviewed T & M a few times.

(and changed my name from a Fiona Cooper tribute to a Jasper Fforde one).

finnthejotter Thu 16-Jan-14 14:45:10

Hello Rafa smile thanks for the rec!

clarinetV2 Fri 17-Jan-14 17:44:36

Oh good, this thread is back. Since I last saw it I've finished my CS re-read. My, but the final books are tedious. I read them with an 'I've started so I'll finish' attitude but it took some doing. I seem to remember there was a suggestion somewhere that EBD might not have written the final books - or at least not written them on her own. I could believe that.

Seriously clarinet, go to SDL. A lot of the stories are far better!

You're welcome, Finn, just keep writing!

NomDeClavier Fri 17-Jan-14 18:09:15

Weird bird I think I know who you are <creepy> I don't go on the CBB or SDL much now though.

clarinetV2 Fri 17-Jan-14 18:40:51

Thanks for that link, Empress. I can see what I'm going to be doing this weekend...

OohAahBird Sun 19-Jan-14 11:54:32

Pm me NomDeClavier and have a guess grin

Ewieindwie1 Thu 01-May-14 19:57:31

Have just been directed to this thread and spent the last hour laughing out loud. Hurrah for MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now