The chalet school and ofsted?

(455 Posts)
thebody Sat 01-Dec-12 11:56:56

Aibu to wonder what Ofsted would have made of the Chalet school.? Any fellow chaletians around?

elennare Thu 20-Jun-13 22:21:43

arabesque, Joey expresses her intentions of doing exactly that in "Jane", which I just finished reading! grin

(Also, last night I wrote Chalet School fanfic. I blame the lot of you :P)

arabesque Fri 21-Jun-13 09:54:42

Seriously?
Wow, I know her so well!

Where can I access Chalet School fanfic. Sounds interesting. Might start a chain story on here.

elennare Fri 21-Jun-13 17:53:04

You can find fic on fanfiction.net, Archive Of Our Own and the Sally Denny Library. (The last one is specifically for Chalet School fanfic). There's some overlap with stories being on more than one, but there's still plenty to read!

A chain story sounds fun smile

arabesque Fri 21-Jun-13 18:29:15

Great thanks.

I will def start that chain story.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 21-Jun-13 20:11:10

Chain story sounds like a great idea, I'll join in!

SallyDennyLibrary is terrific, it was what got me back into the Chalet books after reading them as a kid. Although its very easy to forget what's official and what's invented...

I recommend Tea and Militancy by Finn and Eilidh's Maynard Boys series.

OodPi Sun 23-Jun-13 16:49:50

I used to love the crossover ones on the CBB, didn't realise its branched into its own site. goes off to read instead of sorting the washing

elennare Mon 24-Jun-13 05:02:03

Reading "Redheads at the Chalet School" at the moment, and it's brought up several times how 'the school will allow shortenings but not nicknames, so Copper must be Flavia to teachers and in lessons'. What, pray, is Tom Gay's 'Tom' if not a nickname? It's certainly not short for her actual names! (Granted it could be, while Copper is a nickname pure and simple, but it's still a bit of a double standard). Does "Tom Tackles the Chalet School" clarify why everyone uses it? I haven't got that one.

ShadowStorm Mon 24-Jun-13 20:41:56

Wasn't Tom's real name Lucinda, or something along those lines?

It wasn't a name where Tom was an obvious abbreviation of a real name, anyhow.

Wabbitty Mon 24-Jun-13 21:02:25

Tom was Muriel Lucinda.

"However she had always flatly refused to answer to either, so even the staff called her "Tom", which had been her nickname since babyhood and might have furnished the Head with another argument against nicknames if she had thought of it at the time."

So basically they didn't think to ban nicknames 'til Tom came along and then they couldn't until she left.

Fionar71 Thu 22-Aug-13 08:26:25

Depends on which sister you ask mikkii!!

Have to get in mobile home to check but fingers crossed all my paperbacks are still tucked away under the seats in there - not got them all but a fair number mostly the abridged Armada ones!

chaletian Fri 10-Jan-14 11:21:38

just stumbled across this after googling for chalet school ebooks. Thanks for the memories!! If anyone's still around would LOVE some sending please???

Same here. All these years thinking I was the only one who had read them!

And it's shocking that Antonia Forest's books still haven't been reprinted except for Autumn Term! I regret losing my copy of The Cricket Term sooo much.

BuntyPenfold Fri 10-Jan-14 13:45:25

<waves to SilverDragonfly1>

'Mr Tallboy' thought Nicola, almost an invocation, as her arm bent back...

my copy is in many pieces now.

wholesomemum Fri 10-Jan-14 13:49:25

Can I just say....you guys are NUTTERS and this is the best laugh I've had all day!

I've been lurking for ages, this thread finally convinced me to join in.

The Cricket Term taught me what a palimpsest was at age 12. I didn't realise until buying the reissued Autumn Term though how long ago they were written. The school and girls are so modern in outlook! Completely different to other school stories of the period (I collect old school stories and even managed to squeeze them into my dissertation).

Oh, just finished Joey in the Oberland. She calls her children 'the brats' every.single.time she refers to them, which gets terribly jarring.

BuntyPenfold Fri 10-Jan-14 17:56:39

I would like your dissertation SilverDragonfly1

House is stuffed with old school stories even though I lost hundreds in a house move.

Do you have Run Away Home?

No, Autumn term is the only one I have sad

My dissertation was about children acting as carers in fiction and I was able to use Angela Brazil's 'Schoolgirl Kitty' as one of my sources. Also got to do a research project about Bunty the comic!

BuntyPenfold Fri 10-Jan-14 23:38:16

That sounds really interesting Silver.

It was fun. I was lucky enough to have a tutor whose field was children's literature, so she was very supportive and helpful.

I haven't managed to read any Abbey Girls books yet either.

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 01:02:01

Yay, my 2 worlds collide, chalet school on mumsnet, are any of you on the CBB or members of FOCS?

I still have my original CS Armada collection, but now also have the GGBP reprints as well as they are unabridged.

Risks outing her mumsnet ID to fellow CBBers

Hello weirdbird.

I lurk on CBB and occasionally comment on SDL under another name. Elennare is / was here under the same name and I've only just noticed smile

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 02:05:53

Hi Empress,

I don't post much on the CBB these days but I still gather.
I have one thing in SDL but am not much of a writer

Adeleh Sat 11-Jan-14 02:31:11

Used to be member of FOCS. Love Antonia Forest and Chalet School. My Antonia Forests are in pieces now, too, alas. Sally Hayward's Spring Term is an AF continuation - it's brilliant - all about Ginty going to the bad!

weirdbird Sat 11-Jan-14 02:38:53

I never got into Antonia Forrest but I have a couple in my to read pile, though why I would need another GO author to collect I am not sure, but lots of people seem to love her.

Gwendoline Courtney I discovered via GGBP reprints, that I now adore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now