Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The chalet school and ofsted?

(449 Posts)
thebody Sat 01-Dec-12 11:56:56

Aibu to wonder what Ofsted would have made of the Chalet school.? Any fellow chaletians around?

NicknameTaken Thu 13-Jun-13 14:24:40

Totally - I can't imagine hanging around my own secondary school decades later. Grow up, woman, make new friends! Broaden your horizons!

thebody Thu 13-Jun-13 14:53:21

But joey is 'the spirit' of the school my dears.

Arabesque Thu 13-Jun-13 15:52:30

Actually, in a way we're just like her. Here we are, grown up women with careers, mortgages, kids, spreading waistlines, stretchmarks, winesoaked livers but have we left our chalet school books behind us? No! We are raiding our parents' attics, scouring charity shops, searching ABE Books and generally behaving as if we are still living at home, lying on the sofa with a book in one hand and a curly wurly in the other.

NicknameTaken Thu 13-Jun-13 16:17:25

That's, er, a purely dispassionate intellectual interest, old thing.

<smoothes gym-slip over knees reassuringly>

Arabesque Thu 13-Jun-13 16:41:17

True, Nickname. <pulls up socks and straightens beret>

clarinetV2 Thu 13-Jun-13 19:42:53

lying on the sofa with a book in one hand and a curly wurly in the other

Great idea, Arabesque. I know what I'll be doing this evening. Shame you can't get spangles any more but a curly wurly will do.

elennare Fri 14-Jun-13 18:41:50

Reading "Ruey Richardson", and Len has just been scolded by Matron for having a ponytail - What on earth is wrong with ponytails??

Vintageclock Sat 15-Jun-13 15:00:45

Ooh a bit American and rock and rollish elennare, she'll be leaping around like Sandy in Grease and showing her knickers next.
A nice pair of plaits, you can't go wrong.!

arabesque Sat 15-Jun-13 15:05:05

Shame on you elen. I suppose you also think it's okay to wear pedal pushers and go to the beach with boys?

thebody Sat 15-Jun-13 15:22:58

Elen!!! You will end up like Joan baker!! She was a bit slutty but of course was previously at a council school so to be expected.

Now great flat earphones like joey are the way to go.

squoosh Sat 15-Jun-13 16:57:37

Everyone knows that only fast girls sport ponytails. The sort that get up to no good behind the herbaceous border with the gardener's son.

thebody Sat 15-Jun-13 17:47:21

One tail is acceptable if it is clipped into the make of the neck.

Otherwise you will just go straight to hell.

Wabbitty Sat 15-Jun-13 19:00:37

I find it interesting Jack Maynard was Catholic as his sister wasn't.

What I also find noticable is the range of ages they get in a form and that the forms were based mostly on ability rather than age.

elennare Sat 15-Jun-13 22:18:51

But Len had been wearing her hair in a ponytail all the holidays! Was Joey an extremely modern and easygoing mother, then? wink

I'd have had no end of trouble over my hair if I'd gone to the Chalet - it's curly and fine, so it's impossible to comb without it going frizzy while dry; and there's so little of it that if I plait it, it looks like a rat's tail. With a ponytail the curls give the illusion of volume. smile
I suppose I'd have had to have short hair, but I hated having haircuts (even trims) as a teen because it took ages to grow long again! I have never forgotten having to wear wool plaits for a school performance age 5 because my own hair had never grown long enough to plait.

arabesque Sun 16-Jun-13 15:34:51

Joey had never moved further than six feet from the Chalet School her entire life. She was unaware that 'out there in the real world' all sorts were going on - girls jiving with boys; girls wearing trousers; girls accepting lifts from boys they'd just met. She had been protected from all that wickedness and did not realise that a chirpy ponytail was the thin end of the wedge. Wise matron, on the other hand, knew Len would never nab herself a nice doctor with such a slutty hairstyle.

clarinetV2 Sun 16-Jun-13 15:52:43

Girls should wear proper plaited pigtails until they either 1) are nearly killed saving someone else's life and are reincarnated with curls, 2) bob their hair themselves out of devotion to their best friend, or 3) put their hair up, preferably into earphones. Pony tails are an aberration and have no place in the Scheme Of Things.

squoosh Sun 16-Jun-13 15:54:47

Did anyone in the Chalet School ever get a perm, or permanent wave as I'm sure they'd have called it?

Would probably have marked them out as permanently common and wanton.

OodPi Sun 16-Jun-13 15:57:59

Think Joan did wink

Jengnr Sun 16-Jun-13 17:25:16

Ohhh. I haven't read the Chalet School for YEARS and I didn't read any of the later ones. I LOVED the early ones though.

Can I shamelessly request any ebooks going please?

Tinuviel Sun 16-Jun-13 17:52:08

Yes, Joan definitely did, squoosh, along with her nail varnish , lipstick (that swore at her dress) and 'unsuitable' dresses, she was clearly a right slapper! wink

DeWe Sun 16-Jun-13 17:53:07

Joan had a perm-very clearly disapproved of, described as "cheap looks". Although I seem to remember perms were quite expensive wink

I've a feeling Ruey had one too, but I'm not totally sure. In her case it was meant to show the lack of mothering.

Yseult may have had a perm, I can't recall whether she did or not, but it would go with the diapproving of her parenting theat EBD did.

arabesque Tue 18-Jun-13 14:19:13

Actually, given that the fifties seemed to pass the Chalet School by, do you think it could be still out there, in some parallel universe, with the granddaughters of Mary Lou and Len and Vi Lucy and the rest of them still having Kaffee und Kuchen and totally unaware of facebook and the X Factor and One Direction?
Occasionally a 'modern' type wanders in wearing fake tan and mascara and they all have a ladylike fit until she's expelled and the school can resume the even tenor of its days?

<needs to find a hobby>

OodPi Tue 18-Jun-13 14:22:02

grin

arabesque Tue 18-Jun-13 14:30:37

Joey, who's now a hundred and ten, still totters in occasionally on a zimmer frame to visit her 426 Great Granddaughters while wondering how on earth they're going to find enough doctors for them all to marry.

The 'modern type' might not get expelled - if I recall correctly, only two girls were ever expelled (Thekla and Betty Wynne-Davis), so it is more likely that the 'modern type' would be reformed and made int a fairly decent sort, thanks to the influence of cold baths in the morning, bracing 'rambles' in the alpine countryside and a quiet chat with Joey. And Matey would make short work of the fake tan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now