About playground politics

(25 Posts)
Mrsjay Fri 30-Nov-12 10:25:23

It is sad when parents interfere and judge such a small child she will be labelled all the way through primary these parents are not rare though and you were trying to help her. on a positive young children chop and change friends as often as socks so it may all blow over very soon, fingers crossed,

WicketWoo Fri 30-Nov-12 10:21:00

Just to close my postings on the thread. I saw the other mum and said hello but that's it. I'm going to stay out of it and let the girls battle on together. It feels like a complete shame that I can't somehow shake the parents to get them to realise they are being cruel to a small child but I guess you can't make everyone you know be nice and reasonable. Thanks to you all for the reasonable suggestions and comments it was appreciated.

Floggingmolly Fri 30-Nov-12 09:47:40

How much contact does the girl in question have with the other girls parents?
You say they are "being rotten" to her, but surely her own mother is around at the same time as they are? confused
It's not actually your battle to fight.

pigletmania Fri 30-Nov-12 07:20:46

This is what happens when parents interfer with their child's friendships. My mum used to do that when I was the same age, and basically children on our street would not talk to me or be my friend. Unless there is bullying arents should not be involved

RaspberrySchnapps Fri 30-Nov-12 06:49:21

Agree with Byecklove. if it was just between the 3 little girls then these things blow over especially at this age and a quiet word with school should do it. I am very much of the opinion that telling others how to parent their children is not on, but the father of this girl has escalated the problem and to actively encourage his 5 year old to isolate another even after 10 months is not on at all. I don't think texting his wife was a good idea but definitely a face to face not necessarily about her daughter but about the behaviour of her DH who deserves a bollocking. maybe a chat amongst all 3 sets of parents at this point, as anything that affects any one of these girls early years learning is definitely the business of the parents concerned.

WicketWoo Fri 30-Nov-12 06:35:36

Thanks to you all. I have learnt my lesson not to use texts for stuff like this, good rule of thumb whoever posted about when a situation needs diplomacy to do it face to face. I do think the situation is slightly different to usual because the parents are already involved. It looks like involving the school will be the right approach. I just thought I could help using the fact that I do get on with both the other mums. I have texted the mum (last one I promise) to apologise if I overstepped the mark and caused her upset so hopefully that will help a little

Best wake the kids up and go do that school run. Wish me luck!

I disagree with staying out of it, an adult has encouraged the continued isolation of a five year old at school according to op for ten months.

Raise it with school though not The parents.

Byecklove Fri 30-Nov-12 04:51:30

(bloody fat fingers)

See how tomorrow goes. She may surprise you. If she's not at all understanding, I'd inform the school, as suggested upthread. They're only little and sometimes need a bit of guidance.

Byecklove Fri 30-Nov-12 04:47:01

Sorry but I disagree with the majority. We're going through different playground antics with our 5 year old DS. Lots of rough and tumble, politics about who plays with who, and groups ganging up on other children. All natural and just a way of them all finding out where they stand. The difference to your situation is in the parents. We have all discussed the situation and tell each other if anything sticks out as over-the-top or bullying, or if any child seems particularly upset. I know that you have a different set up with snub-mum (and she sounds likely she doesn't mind that she's upsetting the other girl?) but if any of my children was involved in upsetting another child, I would want to know. Not even to tell them off as we don't often get the full picture. More to have a chat withe them and nip any potential nastiness in the bud.

So I do think it's okay to say something in theory (probably not text) but that all depends in the relationship you have with the mother. As that doesn't sound great, see how t

FellatioNelson Fri 30-Nov-12 04:29:06

What RMPMBT said. the parents sound like childish arises themselves, but honestly, you should have kept out of it, or at least had a diplomatic word face to face.

Op if stuff like this is happening raise it with school not the parent. My child was excluded in this way in reception and it was awful for her, it sounds like its been going on a while if party was ten months ago so I would raise it with school in future who can have a chat with the girls.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Fri 30-Nov-12 03:24:22

Well this situation is slightly different in that one set of parents is already intervening- by banning their daughter from playing with snubbed girl, so it possibly won't sort itself out as her parents are actively encouraging it. However, a text was completely the wrong approach, as it always is in any situation requiring a smidge of diplomacy. This was definitely a face to facer

Loveweekends10 Fri 30-Nov-12 01:50:05

I'm afraid this is a process that kids especially girls go through. If you are doing this when they are 5 god help you when they get to 13!
The kids usually sort these things in my experience. Sometimes school needs to step in but when parents get involved directly it gets very difficult.
No mother on earth would receive a text from another parent indicating their child is a bully and take it well. Get real.

WicketWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:53:20

I've always been a "let the kids sort it out" kind of mum but its so hard when a set of parents have put themselves in the middle of it and made it personal against a 5 year old. Even though its not my child I want to keep shouting "SHE'S 5!" She's little and lovely, in need of a little direction with friendships maybe but no more than the other 2. Any wise advice on how to stop the other parents being so rotten to her? (not by text perhaps!)

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:44:50

I accept the mumsnet advice though and will duly apologise and step away from the phone when I feel I can help in future! Thank you all for the honest opinions.

I know you didnt do it to cause a fuss apologise say I hope these little girls can sort it out but do try and stay out of their squabbles in future I know it is hard when a child is upset,

thetrackisback Thu 29-Nov-12 23:43:56

My neighbour gave me advice and that is not to get involved. It's up to snubbed girls parents to sort it out maybe by working with the school. Text messages are rubbish. It always seems much worse written down than if said face to face. I think you may need to bite the bullet tomorrow or hide behind the bike sheds until she's gone!

WicketWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:43:02

I didn't suggest she was a bully in the text to the other mum. I just said that she wasn't letting the other girl play which was causing a lot of upset and I'm sure she wouldn't want that, I know her quite well and really can't see that she'd want that. I actually get on with both the other mums so felt like I could try and help.

I accept the mumsnet advice though and will duly apologise and step away from the phone when I feel I can help in future! Thank you all for the honest opinions.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Thu 29-Nov-12 23:41:53

You need to stay out of it and make sure the school are aware. If they are good on pastoral care, they won't allow a child to say they aren't allowed to play with another child while at school. What happens out of school is different, but in school, it shouldn't be allowed.

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:38:42

I think suggesting the girl is a bully was harsh I bet the mother is either furious or upset with you why are you all interfering in a fall out with little girls you are all making it much much worse , I hope it blows over but i think you really over stepped the mark on this,

WicketWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:36:50

I couldn't speak to her as I don't do the school run very often. I genuinely thought the text would help! I do completely agree that they are 5 and they will fall out hence the exasperation with the whole situation

missymoomoomee Thu 29-Nov-12 23:35:29

You sent a text advising someone on how to deal with their childs behaviour on the basis that surely she doesn't want her child to be a bully...my advice would be to go back in time and not send the text confused

In all honesty unless you want things to be super awkward you should maybe just apologise for overstepping the mark. I would be furious if I received a text like that tbh.

WicketWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:34:59

Fair comment and in line with my DHs thoughts. It just feels wrong that the other mum won't know how her daughter is behaving as she's not going to go home and tell her and she won't even acknowledge the other mum let alone have a reasonable discussion. Whilst I would probably feel a little defensive at the text I think I'd at least try to see why it was done and want my child to be kind. And no it's not my daughter who is the snubbed one b

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:34:20

these kids are 5 years old and you are sticking your oar in and texting the mother why couldnt you have spoken to her, good luck tomorrow, no advice just to say they are 5 YEARS OLD kids fall out

You stuck your nose in, sent a text based on what you think, to advise a parent on, well, how to parent, and you want to wiggle out of any "awkwardness"
scuse me while I pee myself laughing grin
Come back and tell us how that goes won't you?
Unless "poor snubbed little girl" is your DD, keep out of it - no good ever comes of sticking your oar into someone else's parenting "situation" especially in public in the schoolyard.

WicketWoo Thu 29-Nov-12 23:27:09

The most ridiculous situation has arisen with parents at school....

About 10 months ago, my daughter and 2 of her friends were at a party. They had a bit of a friendship triangle going on where they each got left out and would come home upset about it, the usual for 4/5 year olds. Anyhooo at this party one of the girls dads was there and got really really cross about his daughter being upset and ended up rowing with the parents of the other daughter about it over the next day or two. As a result they said their daughter wasn't allowed to play with the other girl. (No idea how my daughter wasn't also snubbed btw as in my opinion all 3 were as bad!). They have maintained this for the past 10 months with the mum snubbing the poor little 5 year old girl and it clearly knocks her confidence. My daughter and the snubbed girl have got closer and the other girl has made other friends so, rather ridiculous and imo cruel of the parents to continue it, but life is largely carrying.

Anyway, now the poor snubbed little girl is getting really upset because if there's a group game with her and the girl who isn't allowed to be her friend the other girl just won't let her play so she is understandably upset. Given that this is presumably acceptable behaviour to the girl with the angry/unreasonable parents she clearly doesn't see that she is being a bully.

I therefore sent a text to the mum of the girl to tell her that this was happening on the basis that she surely doesn't want her child to be a bully. I haven't received a response and I'm not looking forward to awkwardness on the school run tomorrow. So advice please wise mumsneters, what should I do now and how do I deal with this tomorrow, assuming there is going to be awkwardness?

I'm posting this on my phone, and don't seem able to review it before I post so apologies for typos/grammar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now