Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Man in the shop put more then I paid on my key metre - do I own up?

(65 Posts)
ThePlEWhoLovedMe Thu 29-Nov-12 22:36:56

Went to shop to top up gas key metre. When I got home i discovered he had put on double what I gave him in a mistake. Do I stay anything ? AIBU to not say anything ?

Wallison Thu 29-Nov-12 23:08:04

True. If I were in charge of karma (which doesn't exist) then old George and call-me-Dave wouldn't be looking quite as smug as they are.

Only complete eejits believe in karma.

Say precisely nada OP. Early xmas pressie wink

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:10:26

Karma is not a bitch that is a facebook phrase when people are pissed off, if karma existed that is,

If karma exists then who's to say that her little bonus isn't a gift for some amazing shit she's done and this is the karma god's way of hi-fiving her?

manticlimactic Thu 29-Nov-12 23:50:25

I once put £50 on someones key by mistake instead of £15 as they asked. I had a stinking cold and had dragged myself into work. Couldn't reverse it so the customer got to keep it. I got a mild bollocking. The guy was a regular customer but didn't offer to pay. It was my mistake.

akaemmafrost Thu 29-Nov-12 23:52:11

I wouldn't blush.

5madthings Thu 29-Nov-12 23:59:51

Keep it! You are having to pay over the odds for your electric anyway, if there is karma this is you getting something good you deserve smile

Marzipanface Fri 30-Nov-12 00:03:10

It was his mistake. You didn't notice in the shop. Put it on your meter. Think of it as Lady Luck shining on you.

Do a good deed to balance it all out if you prefer!

PickledInAPearTree Fri 30-Nov-12 00:04:56

Fuck karma it's bloody cold.

quoteunquote Fri 30-Nov-12 00:08:17

The man that made the mistake could lose his job.

BattlingFanjos Fri 30-Nov-12 00:37:30

My first thought was tell the shop, but its freezing and sodding evil bastards EDF have been charging me £85 a month on my meter just for gas so to be fair I probably wouldn't tell them! Plus they can't take the credit back it'd be put on your meter as debt and they'd drag it out. Enjoy it smile

Morloth Fri 30-Nov-12 00:51:46

Depends.

In my current situation then yes, I would go back. If you are broke and this is a really fortunate turn of events then fuck that.

I have a somewhat 'flexible' morality though. wink

myfirstkitchen Fri 30-Nov-12 02:38:10

keep it! co-op put £10 on my key, there was nothing on my key when I got in and when I went back they didn't give a shit!

EauRouge Fri 30-Nov-12 03:09:49

Karma is bullshit.

I would still go back though, I would feel guilty if I didn't.

dawsonjunior Fri 30-Nov-12 03:29:54

I've been the sales assistant to put too much money on before.

I was called into the back room and had to be interviewed and then watch myself on CCTV doing it. So yes chances are you will be CCTV too so they'll know you if you're a regular.

Money was not taken out of my wages.

Even if they do have op on cctv Dawson she didn't do anything wrong, it wasn't her mistake, tbh I wouldn't have noticed unless it was a very large amount.

valiumredhead Fri 30-Nov-12 08:40:09

No.

reddaisy Fri 30-Nov-12 08:49:33

Keep it.

Energy companies are thieving bastards anyway, keep it. The shop assistant will not be sacked, there are allowances for human error.

PickledInAPearTree Fri 30-Nov-12 09:11:12

Bloody hell when I worked in a shop I was forever doing stuff like this and I never ever got wages docked.

What if they hadn't noticed the mistake? Op is then going in and making a fuss a d getting someone into bother for no reason.

goralka Fri 30-Nov-12 09:14:25

you are already paying over the odds for your gas with a key meter, say nothing.

I have had this happen and I gave them the extra back. It's a small family owned shop and it would come directly out of their profits. I'd need to put the extra on the following week anyway, so I just saw it as buying it all at once. Took the tenner back in the next day and explained - no way I was going straight back out to do it. If it were co op or something I probably wouldn't bother, but as it was such a small shop it seemed really mean to leave them to pay for my gas.

HaudYerWheeshtFannyBaws Fri 30-Nov-12 09:49:43

I wouldn't say anything and would keep it. The assistant won't get his wages docked. It's not allowed.

Iggly Fri 30-Nov-12 09:50:32

Keep it.

Would the fuckers tell you if you overpaid?

Unlikely.

DeltaUniformDeltaEcho Fri 30-Nov-12 10:37:39

I'd keep it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now