To Not Know How to List this fecking Awful Sofa...

(158 Posts)

..On The Ebay.

Right, dp has a friend, they used to live together, friend is lovely, but my God he has the worst taste ever. I'm talking he is into stuff from before Changing Rooms came along, stuck in 1991. Bless him.

Anyway, he knows I sell all my old tat via Facebook and EBay, not for lots of cash, but have had a few "touches" as he refers to them and got more than I bargained for. So, he needs to sell his old sofa and has asked me to sell it for him on EBay.

I don't mind doing that at all. Except he has no idea that
a) salmon pink leather sofas with wooden bits are not the height of fashion
b) most sofas go for pennies now
c) it fecking minging

This sofa is so out dated, Barbara Cartland would have said no despite the sheer pinkness of it.

He spent 5 grand on it, and thinks he will get at least £500 for it. He'll be lucky to get £50.

What shall I do? I have said I will list it, but I don't know how to tell him if it doesn't sell why it didn't. I cannot just say "mates, its bloody awful" can I?

oohlaalaa Thu 29-Nov-12 11:39:17

If it's a 5k sofa from 1991, it must be very well made. Perhaps someone could get it reupholstered?

RooneyMara Thu 29-Nov-12 11:39:30

You have to tell him that people don't generally go for sofas on ebay unless they are 1. very trendy (duresta, tetrad etc) or 2. very small (thinking dolls house) as it will cost a bloody fortune to transport it.

Make that the excuse when it sells for pennies.

Meanwhile can we see it please grin

cheekybaubles Thu 29-Nov-12 11:39:47

EBay link required

link!!!

oohlaalaa Thu 29-Nov-12 11:45:49

I have a confession to make, I just typed in salmon pink leather sofa used on ebay. I think I found it, and am now watching too. Yes, it really is ugly. I'm just curious to see what it goes for.

oohlaalaa Thu 29-Nov-12 11:46:13

P.S. It looks comfy though!

Caerlaverock Thu 29-Nov-12 11:46:18

It looks like it is made out of intestines

the 'matching' cushions don't match though!

it's awful.

I just had a look too. Gosh, it's umm we'll its pink and the wooden bits look strong.

probably smells of cigarette smoke, feed and cooking judging by the photos though sorry!

feet not feed hmm

eBay roulette anyone? I'll start the bidding...

Tiredmumno1 Thu 29-Nov-12 11:52:32

Blimey that is truly disgusting grin

I can't see anyone bidding that much for it, poor bloke, what will he do if it doesn't sell?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 29-Nov-12 11:52:57

Just a note of caution if it is that old does it have the labels confirming that the foam is fire retardant still attached to it. If it does not walk away very fast as it is illegal to sell a sofa without these unless it is a genuine antique with horsehair stuffing.

Caerlaverock Thu 29-Nov-12 11:54:12

I wouldn't want to sit on something so anatomically correct

Link please? I can't find it!

Caerlaverock Thu 29-Nov-12 11:59:07

Just search for pink leather sofa, thankfully there aren't that many

toofattorun Thu 29-Nov-12 12:00:10

That is FUCKING UGLY!!!!

Although I am quite tempted to start the bidding!!

Found it! Its fucking hideous! The colours clash awfully!

PimpMyHippo Thu 29-Nov-12 12:03:59

It does look comfy... <charitable>

Link here

I have been reliably informed its very safe, its actually 8 years old.
Definitely a cigar cough in the ashtray. I don't go to the place he's at now, he comes to my (nice, modern and with a lovely sofa) house instead. Its tiny his current place, the living room and kitchen are one room, then there is another tiny room with a bed and a bathroom. Its the smallest place I've ever seen.

It is bloody awful though, loving the vagina and intestinal references.

The cushions came with it apparently. I would personally tip the thing, but I think he is hoping he'll get some money for it. He wouldn't let us list it for less than £100.

Hopefully, if it doesn't sell he'll admit defeat.

PrincessSymbian Thu 29-Nov-12 12:09:46

Link please!?

bellarose2011 Thu 29-Nov-12 12:10:46

like how you added it would look great with throws!! covering every inch of it!
to be fair you can see that its good qaulity, it could be to someones taste.

cheekybaubles Thu 29-Nov-12 12:15:39

Wow, did anyone cop an eyefull of the pink diamante encrusted chesterfield? Makes the ops entry look classy smile

I think the problem is that if it was brown or black, or even cream, it would probably have sold. But its bloody pink! The other problem is the price he wanted us to list it at, if he'd got us to list it for a lot cheaper price, perhaps the Buy to Let, Student lets lot would have had it as then the students could have wrecked it and they'd not have cared.

It is very well made, but its pink! And thats the big problem. Its bloody comfy though apparently.

camrywagon Thu 29-Nov-12 12:19:07

Good lord. My eyes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now