To Not Know How to List this fecking Awful Sofa...

(158 Posts)

..On The Ebay.

Right, dp has a friend, they used to live together, friend is lovely, but my God he has the worst taste ever. I'm talking he is into stuff from before Changing Rooms came along, stuck in 1991. Bless him.

Anyway, he knows I sell all my old tat via Facebook and EBay, not for lots of cash, but have had a few "touches" as he refers to them and got more than I bargained for. So, he needs to sell his old sofa and has asked me to sell it for him on EBay.

I don't mind doing that at all. Except he has no idea that
a) salmon pink leather sofas with wooden bits are not the height of fashion
b) most sofas go for pennies now
c) it fecking minging

This sofa is so out dated, Barbara Cartland would have said no despite the sheer pinkness of it.

He spent 5 grand on it, and thinks he will get at least £500 for it. He'll be lucky to get £50.

What shall I do? I have said I will list it, but I don't know how to tell him if it doesn't sell why it didn't. I cannot just say "mates, its bloody awful" can I?

GrumpyCynicalBastard Wed 28-Nov-12 18:24:53

How about you search completed listings on ebay for same or similar stuff and let him look at that? I know sofas fetch bugger all - even really good stuff goes for a bargain price. He'll end up Freecycling it - but don't tell him that yet!

McChristmasPants2012 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:27:55

Retro pink sofa made from solid wood, very comfortable and spacious.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 28-Nov-12 18:29:47

Be honest, and ridicule the sofa.

McChristmasPants2012 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:30:46
TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 28-Nov-12 18:31:12

Picture of sofa please!

curiousuze Wed 28-Nov-12 18:31:34

Oh I love an ugly sofa on ebay - get it on there! You never know who might have the same 'taste' as him. I've seen one on there for £500 - and the owner's dog had eaten most of it smile

Then you can try gumtree, and then he can freecycle it!

griphook Wed 28-Nov-12 18:35:08

Well, can't really comment until we see a pic grin

SingingSands Wed 28-Nov-12 18:37:47

Well it can't be as bad as the freecycle listing I spotted a month ago which read "funky red sofa, well used, sags a bit and smells of dog". Oh yeah, bet folk were queuing up for that one!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 28-Nov-12 18:43:35

Retro Continental chic for groovy feckers grin

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 28-Nov-12 18:47:26

Highlight how Pink it is, how Barbara Cartland it is, etc.

Start it on 99p, saying you need to get rid of this lovely old sofa and just want it to have a good home so you are starting it at such a low price, hoping it will find a loving home.

That way lots of people might watch, share, etc. Tweet about it!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 28-Nov-12 18:48:11

BUT, and this is important. Say it is old and ugly and in really bad state, as then the buyers cant complain if it is ugly and horrid.

MmeLinDude Wed 28-Nov-12 18:49:24

Make the listing so funny that it goes viral and he gets loads of great offers

OK, so I got dp to do it- he saw me snarking about it on here over my shoulder. He phoned his mate up and asked about listing price hence the start price listed.

Truly awful.

I am not brave enough to list it truthfully as minging. He is popping over to see the write up tomorrow! He is a really good friend too (of twenty years standing to dp), the sofa just doesn't fit in his tiny flat now, he used to have it in his and his exs house, so it didn't stand out quite so much before. He is now moving again to a slightly bigger flat which is furnished, so he will make use of the cash on the new place.

I feel mean!

OMFG It has a bloody watcher! My God I am shock

WandaDoff Thu 29-Nov-12 11:06:28

Is it 'Stylish, comfy suite, with matching cushions'? OP?

Yep. Its bloody awful, dp did the write up cos I was laughing too much

Pascha Thu 29-Nov-12 11:13:54

Of course the number of views is going to be misleading now because we're all looking and laughing?

WandaDoff Thu 29-Nov-12 11:14:31

Is that a cigar or a joint with coloured papers in the ashtray?

WandaDoff Thu 29-Nov-12 11:19:39

Also loving the trainers (pic 1), the bin with beer cans (pic 2), & the way he's casually thrown a fleece jacket over the back & pushed it right up to the cooker to take photos (pic 5).

oldnewmummy Thu 29-Nov-12 11:20:42

I'd have hated that in 1991, too.

Aren't they coordinating cushions rather than matching (runs away quickly)........

Bogeyface Thu 29-Nov-12 11:26:08

He is never going to get £500 for that, I doubt he will get any bids at all with a starting price of £100! To be honest, I would be very surprised if he got any with a start price of 99p!

tutu100 Thu 29-Nov-12 11:30:46

If it cost 5 grand 20 years ago surely he's had his moneis worth from it and can just ditch it. I think I would have had to have set up a new ebay account to list that as I wouldn't want people thinking it was my taste!

5alive4life Thu 29-Nov-12 11:35:07

Ebay link?

That's surely just a roll up in licorice rizlas wanda. I have to say, that really is a special type of ugly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now