Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to provide this food...

(203 Posts)
Whathashappenedtomyboobs Wed 28-Nov-12 17:55:17

So, this Christmas I have 11 family members (including DH, DS and I) coming to my home for Christmas dinner.
I really don't want to spend ALL of my time in the kitchen sweating over a hot stove, so today I went out and brought frozen Roast potatoes, parsnips, mixed veg, yorkshire pudding and peas. Nothing fresh in this house apart from the turkey I'm picking up Christmas eve and the puddings my mum will be making.

ThereISaidIt Sun 02-Dec-12 08:33:18

I'd write a menu, the divide it out by those who will eat it.
That's what we do. Someone brings wine, someone brings cheese, someone brings nibbles and crisps etc.
makes it more manageable money wise too. Of course if all the guests are kids, that blows this suggestion out of the water!

YoHoHoAndABottleOfSherry Sun 02-Dec-12 08:40:00

I think your revised menu with just frozen yorkshire pudding, parsnips and peas and the rest fresh, sounds lovely - I'd come for Christmas lunch with you!

I personally think frozen roasted parsnips taste nicer than fresh ones anyway blush

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 02-Dec-12 08:41:46

I quite like fresh brussels - particularly when my uncle does them, he frys them in the pan with bacon and almonds they are lush.

But then this is the man who makes 3 types of fresh stuffing because he didn't know which one would taste best.

TBH I wouldn't split out the menu, its one meal with a lot of nonsense attached to it. Buying frozen cuts the costs, just make sure its someone elses house next year. Though I'm quite happy to do the turkey as it means DS can open his presents at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now