to think this is gender marketing gone bad?

(29 Posts)
redskyatnight Wed 28-Nov-12 14:36:01

I was in a well-known major supermarket today and thought I would pick up some selection boxes for the DC for Christmas.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Cadbury had 2 offerings of the same size - marketed as "Girl's chocolate selection box" and "Boy's chocolate selection box".
See www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/category/174-christmas-selection-boxes.aspx

The chocolates in the selections were slightly different. The "Girl's" box was decorated with pink hearts and the "Boy's" box by pictures of presents.

I stared at them in a slightly bemused way wandering who had done the market research to identify the preferred chocolate bars of girls and boys and if this was strictly necessary.

(for info, I ended up purchasing 2 "girl's" boxes although I have a boy and a girl. This was on the basis that if the DC get different ones they will fight, plus IMO both my DC prefer the "girl's" chocolate over the "boy's" chocolate.)

Case of gender marketing gone mad?

mountaineeress Wed 28-Nov-12 14:41:16

oh ffs! because girls can't eat chocolate without it having pink lovehearts on the box???????
the rest of the design is the same.... stupid... totally stupid.

ShamyFarrahCooper Wed 28-Nov-12 14:44:10

That is bonkers. However OP unfortunately you've just helped them prove a market for these.

Why not buy a 'normal' one? There is usually something someone doesn't like lol

3bunnies Wed 28-Nov-12 14:44:19

Mad, I still think the worst one was when they brought out the pink globe at ELC. Who wants their children growing up to think the world is pink!

Mad and weird. Can't be good from a profitability pov as it must add to their cost of goods for very little benefit.

ShamyFarrahCooper Wed 28-Nov-12 14:51:59

I actually emailed them a complaint lol. This is what MN has done to me grin

3 bunnies it reminds me of the old story that Jaipur is painted pink because when the Prince of Wales visited in the 19th century they painted it pink believing it to be the royals favourite colour. This was apparently deduced from the fact that on imperial maps the British Empire was painted pink.

Of course back in those days pink was used for baby boys not girls because it was the light version of Red, which as anyone knows is a manly colour of blood and fire and battles.

stargirl1701 Wed 28-Nov-12 15:02:53

Ffs. Ridiculous! This makes me grumpy. I wish companies would just let children be children.

3bunnies in the days of the British Empire the world was pink grin. Perhaps the ELC are secretly rabid Empire lovers.

Seriously, though, they are twunts.

x-posted with Think.

PrimeSuspect Wed 28-Nov-12 15:09:38

It drives me crazy. I'm not adverse to putting dd in pink and she loves princesses etc but it really riles me when I go into ELC they market nurses outfits for girls (the old fashioned ones too, not even current because I guess trousers won't do) and then the doctor's outfit is more geared towards boys.

I think it's ridiculous that chocolate should be marketed this way. Maybe the girl's chocolate tastes of sugar and spice and the boys of puppy dog's tails??

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Wed 28-Nov-12 15:24:21

I'm bemused at what Cadbury's have decided are masculine chocolates, and what are feminine chocolates.

Picnics, double deckers and curly wurlys are suitable for boys, and girls get whispa gold, caramel and buttons. Obviously girls don't like chocolate with textured bits, or having to chew.

5madthings Wed 28-Nov-12 15:30:55

that is madness!! please share it in the gender toy thread and the 'let toys be toys' fb page!

ShamyFarrahCooper Wed 28-Nov-12 15:34:18

clearly it's not ladylike <shudder-at-that-phrase> to chew a curly wurly.

5madthings Wed 28-Nov-12 15:37:31

i have shared a link to the girls/boys selection boxes on fb. i am gobsmacked, its fucking madness and people will buy boy ones for boys and vice versa...its fucking chocolate!!!

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Wed 28-Nov-12 15:38:10

They are very chewy. Maybe girls jaws just aren't strong enough sad

I bloody love Double Deckers and did when I was a shock girl. What a loads of shit.

Sirzy Wed 28-Nov-12 15:43:28

Bonkers! Since when is chocolate anything to do with gender?

Narked Wed 28-Nov-12 15:47:35

Utter, utter fuckwits angry

fuzzpig Wed 28-Nov-12 15:49:17

Unbefuckinglievable.

Has anyone seen those new 'crispello' chocolates BTW? I hadn't seen any advertising myself but I heard they were marketed as being 'for women' hmm personally I found the pieces too big for my delicate girly mouth.

Dammit, I really want a double decker now <checks contents of underwear... Nope, no penis>

TeacupTempest Wed 28-Nov-12 15:54:00

Ffs! Bloody Kraft!

TheCrackFox Wed 28-Nov-12 16:07:09

My boys would most definitely prefer the chocolate in the girls selection box.

What a load of shit, what on Earth where Kraft thinking?

5madthings Wed 28-Nov-12 16:11:44

i have just asked ds1 (13) ds2 (10) and ds3 (7) about these and shown them the link. ds1 was utterly baffled and said it was stupid and ds2 and ds3 saud they thought chocolate was for everybody, ds3 also said he didnt like some of the chocolates in the boys box so.could he have the girls box please!

Himalaya Wed 28-Nov-12 16:20:46

WTF!

My niece is obsessed with pink. She'd have been most upset with a boy version.

Vote with your feet if it upsets you. Poor sales influence marketing decisions in a way customer complaint emails never will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now