to think its just a roast dinner

(100 Posts)
mamamibbo Mon 26-Nov-12 23:39:56

my mum keeps going on about christmas dinner and how i wont be able to manage it by myself and she will help, do i need to borrow a gravy boat?

why would i need a gravy boat, i have a pyrex jug;-)

what makes it different to the roast dinners i make my family all the time?

we dont eat turkey, it will be lamb and beef and maybe a cola gammon.

Icelollycraving Tue 27-Nov-12 09:17:51

It's a fancier roast though isn't it? Personally I do a nice roast but I like all the extra bits on Christmas Day. My biggest concern is staying at my sisters who isn't a big drinker. I am used to lashing into the snowballs/mulled wine & champagne before breakfast a little earlier than usual.

That has to be some of the best christmas advice I have ever heard funchum, does that actually taste nice? I bet it would, like kir royale but orange. So doing that this year...

MissCellania Tue 27-Nov-12 09:48:45

If its just a normal roast dinner you aren't doing it right.

imnotmymum Tue 27-Nov-12 09:51:24

I totally agree. We make a roast every Sunday, no big deal. It is just a roast dinner.

cozietoesie Tue 27-Nov-12 09:52:55

Coola's right.

It's the morning/afternoon/all day pre-dinner sherries.

grin

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 09:56:03

My mum dusts off her gravy boat every christmas and her little jug for cream i think it came fromt he ark but she still does it, yes it is a roast dinner but folk like to make the effort take her gravy boat say thanks mum and then put some gravy in it. my mum is a great cook (that is why we go to her) but she still gets herself in a tizz about a turkey dinner confused

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 09:58:36

My friend had a chinese one year - her mother had an apopleptic fit

my friend has an indian takeaway every year her mother doesn't speak toher christmas day grin and her DC are adults now she has never cooked a christmas dinner she says she is happier that way.

NaiceDude Tue 27-Nov-12 10:02:52

I am SURELY not the only one who's clip-clipped smartly into the dining room after being up since 5am, all heels, curls and pinny trying to play Domestic Christmas Goddess in front of entire audience of Christmas guests hiding the fact I've snarfed 6 Espresso Martinis and chirruped "who's for Fucks Bizz?"

Do what you want.

We only have a normal dinner, alright the beef is a bigger joint then I would normally. And shock horror I cook it christmas eve.

We don't do pudding as no one wants it, so don't bother.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 27-Nov-12 10:05:40

At least she is only interfering. My mum has stolen Christmas from me shock

Every year since we moved into this house everyone has come here for Christmas tea and I get to feel like a really real grown-up.

This year, apparently, everyone is going to her house angry She thought that is what we always do hmm

When I objected on the grounds that I can control my dogs better than can theirs and that is why we started doing it at my house she said "Yes, but you have the puppy now. He is uncontrollable (she might have a point there to be fair) and anyway if you come to my house all the dogs will be with you and they won't bother anyone else" hmm

So not only has she stolen Christmas from me, I still have to spend the evening keeping dogs under control, only these ones aren't trained.

YABU btw. It if it's 'just' a roast, you're doing it wrong. Saying that my first ever Christmas dinner was a lot less stressful than I expected although it was two hours late blush

cozietoesie Tue 27-Nov-12 10:06:15

No sherry trifle even, wheredidiputit?

Ephiny Tue 27-Nov-12 10:09:41

I don't see why it's not just a roast dinner. You don't have to do any extra fancy stuff unless you want to.

(though tbf I've never cooked a roast dinner, so no idea how hard it is. But people do it every week, how bad can it be?)

I would totally have pizza for Christmas dinner if it was up to me. Maybe with sprouts on to make it festive? <bleurgh>

Nope.

Or Christmas pudding or Christmas cake 'cos it's yucky.

I will have some Ice cream if the Dc want something

FateLovesTheFearless Tue 27-Nov-12 10:12:38

It's a roast dinner! And in my case, chicken stuffed with haggis dumped on a decorated table with the mandatory tea lights and crackers with crap toys inside. Job done. smile

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 27-Nov-12 10:13:57

You do have to have extras Ephiny, it is illegal not to. It is not Christmas without honeyed parsnips and those little sausages with bacon and a choice of homemade stuffings.

steppemum Tue 27-Nov-12 10:15:17

I do love the sprouts. So do my mum and dad, rest of my family are split. dh will eat them for the rest of the year because they are healthy, but refuses them on christmas day, because he should be allowed to eat just what he likes on that day grin

I am cooking the christmas dinner for the first time with my mum and dad as guests eeek! I cooked it for 13-20 people every year when lived overseas, but it was up to us what we had, and you couldn't get most stuff anyway and no-one else was expecting bread sauce or sprouts etc.

Now I am doing it setting up against my mums expectations. Only thing in my favour is that they have moved this year and no longer have an aga, so we can't have the whole 'it tastes better in the aga, it's easier in the aga' talk

Gooeyhead Tue 27-Nov-12 10:16:12

My mum said to my dad yesterday "oh I've ordered the turkey crown" I butted in with "crown? Crown? You mean you're not having a proper turkey, I can't believe you're not having a proper turkey" - I don't even like turkey I have beef on my Christmas dinner!!!! hmm

FredFredGeorge Tue 27-Nov-12 10:17:47

It is just a normal roast dinner, if it's not you're not doing your roast dinners right.

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 10:19:51

My mum goes a bit weirdy when she is doing dinner Mum do you need a hand her head spins and she says I CAN MANAGE. I then retreat with the wine bottle and sit down terrified

Ephiny Tue 27-Nov-12 10:21:05

I just think it's all horrible personally (don't eat meat and can take or leave the rest). The dogs love those bacon-wrapped sausages though.

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 27-Nov-12 10:22:23

No-one is allowed in my kitchen when I am doing Christmas dinner, MrsJay.

Which is a problem because you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the toilet. Everyone knows they have to go to the loo before I start or hold it until I finish, only dd2 is brave enough to venture to the loo while I am doing dinner, even the dogs know to stay away.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 27-Nov-12 10:23:00

But the reason why you need all those extras, little sausages in bacon, stuffing, three kinds of sauces... is to disguise the fact that TURKEY DOESN'T TASTE OF ANYTHING. If you use a decent meat it would have enough flavour not to need zillions of things stacked with it or poured over it. All you have to do is make extra large portions and serve it on fancy plates with a sprig of holly in the middle of the table and there y'go, it's as special as you like.

Am rolling about over the sprout aversion. DS1, aged 5 or so, used to call them "the dreaded sprouts" grin I like sprouts, as long as they're neither boiled to death or so raw you hurt your teeth on 'em, but you shouldn't have to have them just because, well, people do. It's your Christmas and the idea is to spoil yourselves rotten with a lovely dinner, not force down all sorts of good-for-you-but-disgusting things like the rest of the year. Parsnips though... parsnips are evil.

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 10:24:07

Which is a problem because you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the toilet. Everyone knows they have to go to the loo before I start or hold it until I finish, only dd2 is brave enough to venture to the loo while I am doing dinner, even the dogs know to stay away.

you sound a scary lady grin

ByTheWay1 Tue 27-Nov-12 10:24:50

sauages in bacon you can buy cheaply in Lidl/Tesco frozen and ready for the oven

Veg you buy in little bags ready for microwave steaming

and paxo is the only true stuffing

peel some spuds day before...

buy a microwave pud + M+S lushhhhhhhh custard in a pot or a chocolate trifle

On day put meat in oven, with stuffing and sausages, put spuds on to boil a bit, then roast when meat is done and resting, get packets of veg ready in microwave - toss in butter, put in bottom of oven , make gravy, get jar of cranberry sauce out of fridge - pig out...

An easier roast dinner than normal for us because we buy most of it done "because it's Christmas"

Chandon Tue 27-Nov-12 10:25:21

Dude, I have so been there, with that casual Christmas Goddess thing.

Then I lost the plot a bit when PIL's dog who may not be told off as he is a sensitive dog, started stealing bites of my resting turkey.

I asked DH to control the dog, and PIL got into a strop and said:" ah, Chandon, you do not really like dogs do you?"

And after dinner PIL let the dog lick his plate ( my Wedgwood!...faints)

So OP, if you are doing a no nonsense roast with nasty bisto gravy in a pyrex jug, go for it! Much better than my faffing around drunk, tripping over that dog again, and wondering who I am doing it for, really.

This year I am going to be far far away on a tropical island!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now