Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to be irritated by the word 'indulgence'?

(81 Posts)
chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:06:34

For some reason I HATE HATE HATE it. I don't think I've ever used it.

starkadder Mon 26-Nov-12 22:08:25

Better than "pamper"

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:09:42

I don't like 'pamper' either smile

WorraLiberty England Mon 26-Nov-12 22:09:57

I'm not keen because it reminds me of chocolate adverts where some bint is dressed in a negligee, secretly binge eating chocolate that she's hidden away from everyone else...looking like she doesn't know weather to eat it or shag it.

YANBU

3b1g Mon 26-Nov-12 22:09:59

I'm not a great fan of 'scanty'.

WorraLiberty England Mon 26-Nov-12 22:10:31

Whether!

Hassled Mon 26-Nov-12 22:12:00

To me it's luxurious and vaguely comforting. Like wrapping yourself up in cashmere or something (I own no cashmere).

Which bit is irritating? The fact people indulge themselves at all, or the fact the word is vaguely judgemental - if it's an indulgence, it's not necessary and maybe undeserved?

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:13:03

'Scanty' - don't think that would bother me too much, although I never use it, what are your reasons 3v1g? <curious>

goralka Mon 26-Nov-12 22:13:10

annoying ad word, yes.

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:14:50

Hassled!!!!!! No cashmere????? Now I'm in my 30's I adore it, it's like putting on a blanket. No not that people 'indulge' themselves, I just have something against the word. I might have heard it in a negative connotation or summat, not sure.

PlainBellySneetch Mon 26-Nov-12 22:18:24

Every time I see 'indulge' or 'pamper', I think "are you offering me this instead of a full and active participation, on a level playing field, in public life? Hmm, I'll need to think about it. What? You mean I have to pay you for it from my unequal salary as well? D'you know, I'll pass."

3b1g Mon 26-Nov-12 22:18:26

'scanty' because it is often followed by the word 'discharge' and also sounds similar to 'skanky'. DH doesn't like the word 'pumice'.

WorraLiberty England Mon 26-Nov-12 22:18:40

I also feel the same about...

Gusset
Panties
Fora
Frock
Bosoms
Et al

<< Shudders >>

3b1g Mon 26-Nov-12 22:21:09

The only word that actually makes me shudder is the French word 'besoin'. The combination of phonemes has a visceral effect on me; not in a good way.

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:21:42

God I HATE panties. Never really use bosoms (apart from hoick my own up wink)

Don't like gusset, never used that. Don't like frock. What the eff is fora though??

Oh yes, gusset is horrible.

I also have an irrational hatred for the word 'bonkers' but was given a resounding YABU when I started a thread about it a while back. blush

3b1g Mon 26-Nov-12 22:22:10

'indulgence' is annoying but doesn't make me gag.

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:22:14

I'm a fusspot, evidently...

WorraLiberty England Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:00

Fora damn you for making me type it again! is the plural of forums

So one forum/two fora.

<< Cringe >>

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:00

Joyful Puddle, sorry, bonkers is one of my favourites!! Why don't you like it?

3b1g Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:23

Fora = plural of forum. but only in Latin

WorraLiberty England Mon 26-Nov-12 22:23:52

Oh I love bonkers and sausages.

Fora is the proper plural of forum - but more in the Roman sense than an internet sense I think.

chickpeanow Mon 26-Nov-12 22:25:20

There is something vaguely delightful about 'sausages' <outs insane nature>

X-posted with everyone there! grin

Bonkers just seems so childish to me, something a 6yo would say. And so it makes me cringe when I hear an adult say it. (Mind you I have the same reaction to 'ickle' and its ilk).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now