Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To secretly lust after the cakes in the Iceland Xmas advert?

(91 Posts)
FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 14:24:46

Iceland gets a right slating from lots of people on MN, and I stay well clear of the place myself. However, I do find myself drooling over the cakes (especially the Baileys ones) on their Xmas ad, despite them being kind of cheap and nasty.

So, AIBU to secretly lust after Icelend cakes and maybe get a big creamy one in for Xmas? My friends would be horrified! grin

issey6cats Mon 26-Nov-12 18:05:59

the prawns dont bother me havent eaten any for years since i found out thier favourite habitat is sewage outlet pipes in the sea and they are scavengers yuk no thanks

usualsuspect3 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:06:50

I still eat them though grin

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 18:06:50

OK, makes note of cheesey feet cheese cakes. Massive strawberry and white chocolate cake it is then. smile

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 18:10:50

The chocolate coated strawberrys are disgusting, do not be tempted just because they are £1 they are rank. A spit it out your mouth rank.

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 18:13:08

OK, thanks for the top tip Brandy smile. I probably wouldn't have brought them, chocolate covered fruit still sounds a bit too healthy for my liking!

StickEmUp Mon 26-Nov-12 18:14:09

Im going to iceland for my BOXING DAY buffet. Cant wait.

KinkyDoritoWithJingleBellsOn Mon 26-Nov-12 18:14:38

The Bailey's profiterole cake is gorgeous.

ChablisLover Mon 26-Nov-12 18:17:33

Have heard the baileys cheesecake is rank. But all others are nice

Loving the greggs morrello cherry slices
Yum

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 18:20:27

Wow, all these year I've been missing out it seems. It's probably just as well that the nearest Iceland is so far away, I'd be scoffing cakes all the time by the sound of it.

GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 26-Nov-12 18:24:14

I'm not snobby about the prices of shops. I shop at Aldi and Lidl all the time.

I hate Iceland brand foods, though. The creamy cakes are generally tasteless, and the meat is just disgusting. Someone (student age!) brought pre-made frozen burgers from Iceland at a BBQ this summer. All cartilage and nasty.

DH actually noticed and laughed at the cakes in the advert last night, and he never notices anything like that. They all look like the sort of cakes you see in the windows of bad bakeries, made of wax or something.

I'm all up for hankering after things (the few things I've had from Greggs have been just fine, for example!) but Iceland just doesn't do it for me..

CheeryCherry Mon 26-Nov-12 18:24:50

issey! there's an Iceland opening up Pellon lane, this weekend I think?!

The food in the ad LOOKS amazing.
Shame that when you get it out of the packet and heat or defrost it it's often broken or flattened.

Mind you I do get my sausage rolls etc from Iceland...

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Mon 26-Nov-12 18:29:44

Great idea StickEmUp.

I think I might have to investigate, for research purposes of course.

So far on my list is:

prawns in filo pastry [sorry prawns]
indian bits
greggs sausage rolls
potato skins
vol-au-vents
various baileys-related sweet things
e-number strawberry cake
mini-pizzas
chocolate eclairs/profiteroles

Have I missed anything out?

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 26-Nov-12 18:32:42

If you like boil in the bag fish with butter/parsley sauce maryz thats nice to.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Mon 26-Nov-12 18:40:13

Oh, ds would like that.

Another instant heat from frozen meal to fob him off with when he is eyeing up my dinner ingredients hmm

StickEmUp Mon 26-Nov-12 18:44:07

Thanks maryz grin. I thought id get whooshed off MN for suggesting it waa good enough for a secial occasion.
Ive done it for xmas family party things before.

FunBagFreddie Mon 26-Nov-12 18:49:57

I need to go to the town where the nearest Icelend is this week. smile

I'm going to buy some balieys cakes, hopefull the strawberry one and some other random stuff.

ObiWan Mon 26-Nov-12 18:51:34

Oh, not cakes, but I bought 'square sausage' from Iceland a while ago (after I read about it on here).

It's kind of like the flat thing you get in a McDonalds breakfast. If you use your imagination, it tastes a tiny bit like white pudding.

But I still have 80% of them left in the freezer, so not sure it's exactly a recommendation, more a 'you have to try it once' kind of thing.

toofattorun Mon 26-Nov-12 19:14:29

Whenever I hear the word "Iceland", I think of Dawn French impersonating Bjork! "I am shopping in Iceland and everything is frozen"!

ariadneoliver Belgium Mon 26-Nov-12 19:14:50

I don't get the loathing for Iceland, they have some good stuff in there. The Onken yoghurt is cheaper than elsewhere and the frozen spinach is far better than Waitrose's. All supermarkets sell a mix of good stuff and junk Iceland is no different.

ArtVandelay Mon 26-Nov-12 19:27:15

I just had to go on YouTube to see their ad. It looked a bit too good to be true but still, the cakes looked so impressive. Crap ad though, I miss Kerry looking all shiney while brandishing a prawn ring.

AlexReidsLonelyThisChristmas Mon 26-Nov-12 19:31:43

I love square sausage, instant hangover cure. I haven't seen it being sold anywhere in ages, a trip to Iceland is in order I think. smile Will look out for the Baileys profiteroles too.

piprabbit Mon 26-Nov-12 19:40:29

Those Iceland cakes are a bit pricey aren't they? wink
We catered my DDs birthday party with Sainsbury's frozen cake thingies from about £2 each.

I keep the Raspberry Brulee cheescake for myself.

Glossynotflossy Mon 26-Nov-12 20:15:44

Not sure about the cakes buy they do a nice chiken and muhroom risotto that tastes like a local restaurant's hmm

SoleSource England Mon 26-Nov-12 20:19:31

grin Glossy. You got your suspicious expression on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now